By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The switch is Generation Three : Pocketconsole

It’s a hybrid. Handheld, tablet, and home console all in one.

As has been mentioned, it’s not a simple handheld with a cord that plugs into an adaptor. It docks, and then you can use controllers, and play it as a home console. You can remove it from the dock and play some games as though it’s a small tablet, or you can snap on the joycons and take it anywhere you want to go, like a handheld.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Switch has a mixture of home console and handheld elements making it a hybrid.

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

So what you’re basically saying is that the GameCube (which is portable because of the handle) with that screen add-on is a hybrid?

Anyway I get what you’re saying and I guess technically (in a nitpicky way) you’re right but come on, it’s semantics, it’s not like there’s a better word for it.

BraLoD said:
It's just another handheld.

Not really.  To those that only play docked it isn't and it even performs differently based on docked vs undocked play.  One could CHOOSE to use it that way though.

kirby007 said:

I have seen the discussions since we have known about the switch i called it a tablet in 2013 and in that implementation tossed it in generation 8. But in its current form it is the best of both worlds. So to just end both debates let it be known its a Pocketconsole/handheldonsole of the first generation

Gen 3 pocketconsole.  Gen 1 was the Sega nomad and gen 2 was the Nvidia shield.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

People still redefining what a hybrid is? Lol.

Just because a console has been built a different way doesn't set it THAT far apart.

That didn't make the og xbox the first pc/console. It didn't make the og PlayStation the first CD sound system/console either.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
People still redefining what a hybrid is? Lol.

Sometimes it's really easy to overthink things I suppose. Whether you see it as a handheld first or a home console, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it does both.

Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Switch has a mixture of home console and handheld elements making it a hybrid.

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

https://www.amazon.com/VANGUARD-Personal-Gaming-Environment-Consoles-Included/dp/B00H0R9DSG

How's that?

Shiken said:
BraLoD said:
It's just another handheld.

Not really.  To those that only play docked it isn't and it even performs differently based on docked vs undocked play.  One could CHOOSE to use it that way though.

kirby007 said:

I have seen the discussions since we have known about the switch i called it a tablet in 2013 and in that implementation tossed it in generation 8. But in its current form it is the best of both worlds. So to just end both debates let it be known its a Pocketconsole/handheldonsole of the first generation

Gen 3 pocketconsole.  Gen 1 was the Sega nomad and gen 2 was the Nvidia shield.

I can agree with this even if others list the nomad as gen 5

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

teamsilent13 said:

Well except that it runs 8 cores at 1 ghz at below 720p. The iPad Pro both 2017 and 2018 versions have their cores running at a much better rate and better color scheme and better resolution. I would bet Samsungs Tab S3 is probably more powerful than the switch, but the iPad Pro blows it out of the water. If Nintendo just released their games on good hardware I'd already have one. I might buy one depending on how innovative or polished Metroid Prime 4 finishes. I probably will for that reason. I still wish they had better hardware, but I understand the price is an issue. The cheapest the iPad Pro 2017 ever was $450 new from Microcenter and that was the 10.5 at 64 gb so the switch is more cost effective. 

Well, which games does the iPad have? i don't understand that fixation on hardware, as you play games not hardware. Sure, better looking games powered by a better hardware may be superior. But then the comparison with the iPad would fall flat, because still: which games does it offer? Play Hearthstone with less power drain on the hardware?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Sega Nomad.

Played the exact same games as the Genesis home console. Connected to the tv. Allowed multi players.

* I love Nintendo and i was in love with the idea that "Nintendo was the first to do _____" but too many times I've done research and discovered that Nintendo actually wasn't the first to do whatever. Some company out there always seems to do something first. That company almost always does it prematurely and fucks it up but still.

Nintendo doesn't have to be first or "generation one". They just have to do things at the right time when the world is ready to accept it. That's the difference between a Wii remote like success and an Xbox One DRM catastrophe.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 19 January 2019