By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The switch is Generation Three : Pocketconsole

super_etecoon said:
My Switch does not fit in my pocket. I carry it around in a carrying case. It is a portable console. It is a hybrid. I even listed that as one of the options in the thread I made a while back. I'll go with hybrid...but not with this "pocketconsole" term you're trying to coin. Maybe when Nintendo releases a Switch mini...but even then it would belong to the hybrid family.

I can fit the switch in my pockets and often do.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Switch has a mixture of home console and handheld elements making it a hybrid.

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

I have no clue what you're asking

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pyro as Bill said:

Hybrid

(impotent, useless as both Lion and Tiger, would quickly die in the wild, ie WiiU)

This one made me laugh. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Are you agreeing or arguing with me?

I don't agree that it's the 'seamlessness'. Switch is still an 8/10 of what it could be (online/battery). Even if it was a 2-5/10 it would still be dominating.

Battery and online are the reasons why the Switch isn't seamless as a hybrid? I don't think those elements are what affects the seamlessness of Switch being a console that can be played on the TV screen and on the go. I guess the battery is somewhat of a factor, but that's more about function than seamlessness. And the battery, to me, isn't that bad to be honest. I've played a few hours of Smash Bros and my battery had about 1/3 left of power and even then, I had the AC adapter, which allows me to continue playing in handheld mode. To me, seamlessness is playing a game on the Switch as a handheld and then placing it on the dock and it automatically turns on the TV ready for me to play on the TV. No need for internet access, another console to be compatible for remote play, or having select games compatible to the remote play function. Every game on the Switch is capable of being played on the TV and on the go as a handheld.

Pyro as Bill said:
Mar1217 said:
You classifying an hybrid as something that can do both at the same time ? Ok but I think definition can be easily broaden into what the Switch represents too.

It is an hybrid, face it.

It's not me that classifies what a hybrid is. It's not Tesla either. Even with cars, the engine runs off electric OR gas. It doesn't run off electrified gas.

You've only given a definition that suits your argument though ....

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

It’s a hybrid. Handheld, tablet, and home console all in one.

As has been mentioned, it’s not a simple handheld with a cord that plugs into an adaptor. It docks, and then you can use controllers, and play it as a home console. You can remove it from the dock and play some games as though it’s a small tablet, or you can snap on the joycons and take it anywhere you want to go, like a handheld.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Switch has a mixture of home console and handheld elements making it a hybrid.

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

So what you’re basically saying is that the GameCube (which is portable because of the handle) with that screen add-on is a hybrid?

Anyway I get what you’re saying and I guess technically (in a nitpicky way) you’re right but come on, it’s semantics, it’s not like there’s a better word for it.

BraLoD said:
It's just another handheld.

Not really.  To those that only play docked it isn't and it even performs differently based on docked vs undocked play.  One could CHOOSE to use it that way though.

kirby007 said:

I have seen the discussions since we have known about the switch i called it a tablet in 2013 and in that implementation tossed it in generation 8. But in its current form it is the best of both worlds. So to just end both debates let it be known its a Pocketconsole/handheldonsole of the first generation

Gen 3 pocketconsole.  Gen 1 was the Sega nomad and gen 2 was the Nvidia shield.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

People still redefining what a hybrid is? Lol.

Just because a console has been built a different way doesn't set it THAT far apart.

That didn't make the og xbox the first pc/console. It didn't make the og PlayStation the first CD sound system/console either.