By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The switch is Generation Three : Pocketconsole

"What would you call hyrbid console then? "

WiiU.

Re-run the past 30+ years of console wars but imagine Nintendo never made home consoles but only made 'hybrids' instead.

Gameboy with TV-out and multiplayer would still have spanked GameGear and the others. It would have stomped the MegaDrive and SNES too. (It did it without multiplayer/TVout).

'Hybrids' with Nintendo exclusives would have won every gen and that's why it's Game Over for the competition.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Break it down.

What's the difference between SNES and GBA?

Or 3DS v GC/Wii?

Multiplayer (single system), motion control, big 'experiences' (which is dependent on power) and 32" output.

Are you agreeing or arguing with me?

I don't agree that it's the 'seamlessness'. Switch is still an 8/10 of what it could be (online/battery). Even if it was a 2-5/10 it would still be dominating.

Mar1217 said:
You classifying an hybrid as something that can do both at the same time ? Ok but I think definition can be easily broaden into what the Switch represents too.

It is an hybrid, face it.

It's not me that classifies what a hybrid is. It's not Tesla either. Even with cars, the engine runs off electric OR gas. It doesn't run off electrified gas.

Hybrid

(impotent, useless as both Lion and Tiger, would quickly die in the wild, ie WiiU)

Pyro as Bill said:
Mar1217 said:
You classifying an hybrid as something that can do both at the same time ? Ok but I think definition can be easily broaden into what the Switch represents too.

It is an hybrid, face it.

It's not me that classifies what a hybrid is. It's not Tesla either. Even with cars, the engine runs off electric OR gas. It doesn't run off electrified gas.

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Switch has a mixture of home console and handheld elements making it a hybrid.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Definition of hybrid: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

super_etecoon said:
My Switch does not fit in my pocket. I carry it around in a carrying case. It is a portable console. It is a hybrid. I even listed that as one of the options in the thread I made a while back. I'll go with hybrid...but not with this "pocketconsole" term you're trying to coin. Maybe when Nintendo releases a Switch mini...but even then it would belong to the hybrid family.

I can fit the switch in my pockets and often do.

Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

What's the difference between a 'portable home console' and a 'handheld'?

If I had a 'portable home console' and 'mixed' it with a handheld, how would it be any different to a portable home console?

I have no clue what you're asking

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pyro as Bill said:

Hybrid

(impotent, useless as both Lion and Tiger, would quickly die in the wild, ie WiiU)

This one made me laugh. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Pyro as Bill said:
zorg1000 said:

Are you agreeing or arguing with me?

I don't agree that it's the 'seamlessness'. Switch is still an 8/10 of what it could be (online/battery). Even if it was a 2-5/10 it would still be dominating.

Battery and online are the reasons why the Switch isn't seamless as a hybrid? I don't think those elements are what affects the seamlessness of Switch being a console that can be played on the TV screen and on the go. I guess the battery is somewhat of a factor, but that's more about function than seamlessness. And the battery, to me, isn't that bad to be honest. I've played a few hours of Smash Bros and my battery had about 1/3 left of power and even then, I had the AC adapter, which allows me to continue playing in handheld mode. To me, seamlessness is playing a game on the Switch as a handheld and then placing it on the dock and it automatically turns on the TV ready for me to play on the TV. No need for internet access, another console to be compatible for remote play, or having select games compatible to the remote play function. Every game on the Switch is capable of being played on the TV and on the go as a handheld.