By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should take more risks with the Mario characters

XD84 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

They already are. But it's equally important to take risks with existing characters as well. 

With which new games did they take any risks on the Switch?

ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Sushi Striker. And for existing series BotW, Mario Odyssey, even Pokemon Let's Go! and Smash Ultimate I'd argue.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

But somewhere around the Wii U and 3DS era, Nintendo began playing it safe with the Mario pantheon. Not only did Mario's main platforming games reverted to just using a generic Mario obstacle course style

I'm curious about this part. Those games (Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World) were literally them trying something new with combining elements of both 2D Mario and 3D Mario, something which hadn't been done before, but yet you claim it was them reverting? Is that not what you're asking for with this thread, for them to try new stuff and take more risks? Or are we back to "those aren't real 3D Mario games" again....

Also, generic? Not only is that ignoring a lot of the creativity it had but it's also not true.

It's only 4 points behind Odyssey.....

TheMisterManGuy said:
XD84 said:

With which new games did they take any risks on the Switch?

ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Sushi Striker. And for existing series BotW, Mario Odyssey, even Pokemon Let's Go! and Smash Ultimate I'd argue.

ARMS, 1-2-Switch, Snipperclip and Sushi Striker they did not take any real risk since they did not use a lot of budget creating them. 

In my opinion they took risk at Ninendo Labo since they had to do a lot of research and that always costs a good amount of money. 

I wish they would put the same effort for something totally new as they did at BotW, Super Mario Odyssey or Smash.

TheMisterManGuy said:

With the success of Super Mario Odyssey and stuff like Mario & Rabbids and Super Mario Party, I'd like to see Nintendo take more risks with the Mario Universe again, give me more weird spin-offs with characters like Daisy and Bowser.

Princess Peach as bonus character in "Peach Ball" would be nice.

View on YouTube

XD84 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

ARMS, 1-2-Switch, Snipperclip and Sushi Striker they did not take any real risk since they did not use a lot of budget creating them. 

In my opinion they took risk at Ninendo Labo since they had to do a lot of research and that always costs a good amount of money. 

I wish they would put the same effort for something totally new as they did at BotW, Super Mario Odyssey or Smash.

Creative risks aren't defined by how much money you throw at them. It's the ideas behind them that are the risky part. A 3D fighting game with stretchy arms and a puzzle game about cutting paper are concepts no big publisher would touch with a 10 ft. pole, but smart budgeting and focused marketing and expectations made them possible. Labo likely doesn't even have that massive of a budget either. 

Around the Network
XD84 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

ARMS is the most risky new IP Nintendo have made for the Switch (I think the next one will be Town, by Game Freak). And don't mention budget, I think it cost as many (even more) to make ARMS than Splatoon.

If they manage to improve ARMS with a new itteration, they can make it a great IP.

FloatingWaffles said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

But somewhere around the Wii U and 3DS era, Nintendo began playing it safe with the Mario pantheon. Not only did Mario's main platforming games reverted to just using a generic Mario obstacle course style

I'm curious about this part. Those games (Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World) were literally them trying something new with combining elements of both 2D Mario and 3D Mario, something which hadn't been done before, but yet you claim it was them reverting? Is that not what you're asking for with this thread, for them to try new stuff and take more risks? Or are we back to "those aren't real 3D Mario games" again....

Also, generic? Not only is that ignoring a lot of the creativity it had but it's also not true.

Well it was basically a 2D Mario game in a 3D environment, which isn't what people expect from a 3D Mario title.

And yeah, only 4 points behind Odyssey, but also Galaxy and Galaxy 2, which all 3 scored 97, around other games considered greatest games ever made. It may sound silly but if Nintendo can't reach the sky with their biggest franchises (Mario and Zelda), it's not a good sign.

SKMBlake said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Well it was basically a 2D Mario game in a 3D environment, which isn't what people expect from a 3D Mario title.

And yeah, only 4 points behind Odyssey, but also Galaxy and Galaxy 2, which all 3 scored 97, around other games considered greatest games ever made. It may sound silly but if Nintendo can't reach the sky with their biggest franchises (Mario and Zelda), it's not a good sign.

I see 3D Land and 3D World as an attempt to bring the 25 million sales of the new smb series to the 3D Mario games, so while it was different from what Nintendo did before, business-wise it might have seemed low risk.  I can't say too much about World, butIthink Land and New SMB2 started to feel like almost one game, it was ...not great, and generic would be the rigt word.  3D World looked better., I only played world 1.  On that note, I stromgly feel it is time for  a 2D Mario to break the mold of the New SMB games.

I would rather see new IP than more Mario spinoffs, personally, I tend to think back to NES and SNES where wewere spoiled with like 10 new IP each gen.

:( I can't be the only one that prefers Mario 3d world it's by far my favorite 3d mario game

After Odyssey. I want my dedicated Bowser game. Its about time we get to play from either his perspective or a unique game based off him.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick