By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should take more risks with the Mario characters

I would like to see some Bowsette DLC for the NSMB U game. If they do that then I'd say they are taking risks. Although I also think just the existence of Mario + Rabbids is a step in the right direction.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
After Odyssey. I want my dedicated Bowser game. Its about time we get to play from either his perspective or a unique game based off him.

Maybe a new villain shows up and Bowser decides to go out of his way to prove he's the better villain.

Which just makes me want a Sonic/Mario crossover game where Bowser and Robotnik work together and eventually turn on another lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

CaptainExplosion said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Which just makes me want a Sonic/Mario crossover game where Bowser and Robotnik work together and eventually turn on another lol

Even if there's a chance of Robotnik accusing Mario of snooPING AS usual? =P

It must be done 

agreed I quite liked captain toad a couple more experimental games like that using other characters in mario universe would be fine by me

TheMisterManGuy said:

The Mario Universe has a variety of characters, with many of them staring in their own successful platformers and spin-offs. One thing I liked about the GBA/GCN and DS/Wii days was that Nintendo took a lot of risks with the cast, putting Mario and his friends into a variety of unconventional and experimental games and spin-offs. Mario's brother Luigi took the staring role for the first time in Luigi's Mansion. Mario himself got a water pack on a Tropical Island, and was then later sent to outer-space. Wario started his own game company and subsequently, a unique series of puzzle games revolving around 5-second games. Donkey Kong got a rhythm game and an action platformer, both controlled with a pair of bongos. Yoshi got a platformer using a unique tilt-control mechanic. Princess Peach also got a staring role with Super Princess Peach. And this was just a taste of the weird stuff Mario and his pals were up to in this time.

But somewhere around the Wii U and 3DS era, Nintendo began playing it safe with the Mario pantheon. Not only did Mario's main platforming games reverted to just using a generic Mario obstacle course style, but all the weird spin-offs that he and his friends got, either vanished, were overly sterilized, or mangled beyond recognition. Really the only exceptions were Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World, maybe Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

With the success of Super Mario Odyssey and stuff like Mario & Rabbids and Super Mario Party, I'd like to see Nintendo take more risks with the Mario Universe again, give me more weird spin-offs with characters like Daisy and Bowser.

What? How do you get that? Playing it safe would have been launching with two guaranteed heavy hitters Super Mario Galaxy 3 and Mario Kart game. What they did with releasing no flagship Mario game, and 2-year wait for Mario Kart was incredibly dangerous for the brand.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I'd rather have less risks and have Paper Mario become Paper Mario again, and get a new Wario Land. As far as the creation of new offspring IPs goes, Nintendo would be better off by making them new IPs altogether. Splatoon being its own thing with its own identity is a cool thing.

Wasn't Splatoon almost a Mario game? Or at least it was demoed as a Mario game, and it was almost considered to use him for the IP?

Nintendo has some of the best character designers in the industry. The fact that a dog secretary or an ink kid can become as iconic as Link or Mario in the span of only a few years is amazing. Nintendo should use them more ... for new ips.

Bristow9091 said:
You're right, they should take a risk and give me a full fledged Waluigi game, and I don't mean some half arsed compilation of minigames, I want a big world hopping adventure!

... or y'know, I'd even settle for Waluigi being a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros.

Waluigi's identity is pretty fan-driven due to Nintendo doing so little with him. I have this fantasy that Nintendo would release just Waluigi to the public domain and let fans go wild making fan games of him. I honestly think that's the best possible fate for the character. They could publicly endorse it, and have an annual highlight of their favorite fan-made game, that would then become part of the official Mario canon. Then occasionally feature Waluigi in their mainline games as a cameo referencing the canonized fan games. This would keep Waluigi's defining characteristic of being the envious underdog in the Mario universe while allowing him to blossom as a character in an entirely fan-driven way. Crazy fantasy, I know, but I would seriously rather this happen than a full fledged official Waluigi game. God knows we deserve it. Nintendo has no idea what to do with Waluigi.

PwerlvlAmy said:
After Odyssey. I want my dedicated Bowser game. Its about time we get to play from either his perspective or a unique game based off him.

I've been saying this for years. Something that lets us go wild with Bowser's raw power. Like a brawler or beat 'em up sort of game. Some villain takes over the Mushroom Kingdom with an army and kidnaps Peach and the Mario brothers, and maybe the Koopalings too, just to make it extra personal, and Bowser decides to show them that only he can conquer the Mushroom Kingdom. Perfect opportunity for Giga-Bowser to make a canon appearance. Maybe E. Gadd makes him some sort of formula that grants him the power-up.

PwerlvlAmy said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Maybe a new villain shows up and Bowser decides to go out of his way to prove he's the better villain.

Did you ever watch the fan-made sprite animation flash series "Super Mario Bros. Z"? It's not a game, but the humor style and art style are basically Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga style. It's a Sonic/Mario crossover with DBZ style fights, and Bowser and Robotnik do work together. It was tragically cancelled due to a cease and desist from Nintendo, but the 8 episodes that were made were pretty great imho. There's also a hand drawn animated remake of the first episode, but Nintendo shut that down too, so it's just the one. But damn, do I wish Nintendo would just pay the guy to finish it and just sell it and take a cut of the profit. Or turn it into a game.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
RolStoppable said:
I'd rather have less risks and have Paper Mario become Paper Mario again, and get a new Wario Land. As far as the creation of new offspring IPs goes, Nintendo would be better off by making them new IPs altogether. Splatoon being its own thing with its own identity is a cool thing.

Wasn't Splatoon almost a Mario game? Or at least it was demoed as a Mario game, and it was almost considered to use him for the IP?

Nintendo has some of the best character designers in the industry. The fact that a dog secretary or an ink kid can become as iconic as Link or Mario in the span of only a few years is amazing. Nintendo should use them more ... for new ips.

I believe the squids were also rabbits at one point too