By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should take more risks with the Mario characters

The Mario Universe has a variety of characters, with many of them staring in their own successful platformers and spin-offs. One thing I liked about the GBA/GCN and DS/Wii days was that Nintendo took a lot of risks with the cast, putting Mario and his friends into a variety of unconventional and experimental games and spin-offs. Mario's brother Luigi took the staring role for the first time in Luigi's Mansion. Mario himself got a water pack on a Tropical Island, and was then later sent to outer-space. Wario started his own game company and subsequently, a unique series of puzzle games revolving around 5-second games. Donkey Kong got a rhythm game and an action platformer, both controlled with a pair of bongos. Yoshi got a platformer using a unique tilt-control mechanic. Princess Peach also got a staring role with Super Princess Peach. And this was just a taste of the weird stuff Mario and his pals were up to in this time.

But somewhere around the Wii U and 3DS era, Nintendo began playing it safe with the Mario pantheon. Not only did Mario's main platforming games reverted to just using a generic Mario obstacle course style, but all the weird spin-offs that he and his friends got, either vanished, were overly sterilized, or mangled beyond recognition. Really the only exceptions were Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World, maybe Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

With the success of Super Mario Odyssey and stuff like Mario & Rabbids and Super Mario Party, I'd like to see Nintendo take more risks with the Mario Universe again, give me more weird spin-offs with characters like Daisy and Bowser.

Around the Network

I agree, but only to an extent. I don't think the answer is to make more new franchises out of Mario characters, because at some point you have to just ask when it's time for a new IP altogether. I DO think the answer is to revive series that were cool spin-offs, or to just make them better than ever before. The Wario Land games for example, look like really fun and well made platformers. And while it wasn't received as excellent, I would love a reboot of sorts of the Wario World concept. In a similar vein, while I do want to see a 2D Donkey Kong, I would also love a 3D one which innovates on the 3D platformer genre.

There's just so much there - RPGS like Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario (at one time), puzzle games like Mario and Donkey Kong, Platformers like Wario Land/World, Yoshi and Donkey Kong Country, and party/mini-game collections like WarioWare or Mario Party. All Nintendo really needs to do is to actually make these game high quality releases and to advertise them like they mean something.

Note: I know that Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are pretty much their own franchises by now... but you did say "Mario characters", so I just included them.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I agree, but only to an extent. I don't think the answer is to make more new franchises out of Mario characters, because at some point you have to just ask when it's time for a new IP altogether. I DO think the answer is to revive series that were cool spin-offs, or to just make them better than ever before. The Wario Land games for example, look like really fun and well made platformers. And while it wasn't received as excellent, I would love a reboot of sorts of the Wario World concept. In a similar vein, while I do want to see a 2D Donkey Kong, I would also love a 3D one which innovates on the 3D platformer genre.

There's just so much there - RPGS like Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario (at one time), puzzle games like Mario and Donkey Kong, Platformers like Wario Land/World, Yoshi and Donkey Kong Country, and party/mini-game collections like WarioWare or Mario Party. All Nintendo really needs to do is to actually make these game high quality releases and to advertise them like they mean something.

Note: I know that Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are pretty much their own franchises by now... but you did say "Mario characters", so I just included them.

I want new IP from Nintendo too. But I think it's also important to have a balance of new characters/properties and new takes on existing ones. Nintendo's shown before that they can achieve that balance. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

I want new IP from Nintendo too. But I think it's also important to have a balance of new characters/properties and new takes on existing ones. Nintendo's shown before that they can achieve that balance. 

They have? 

I don't really think they have.  

But I guess that if Nintendo finds a new application for Mario characters that is appropriate, that would be cool. I just think there's so many ways they've used them, I'd rather they try to make the best entries in those series on the Switch, than to make a lot more new series out of characters which already belong to a couple already. But I guess it doesn't matter, it's not like there's going to be 30 Wario games on Switch for example, it would probably be a combination of returning franchises and new ones in this proposed idea, but not so much that there would be a saturation of Wario games. The amount of games would probably be similar to that of other Nintendo consoles, just with more new applications of the character. Same for all characters I'd assume. 

They have? 

Yes, just look at the SNES/Game Boy, GBA/GCN and DS/Wii eras for example. Nintendo can do the new IP like Star Fox, Pikmin, and Nintendogs, but can also put well known characters into weird new Game-play styles as well. That's really the secret to their longevity and success. They've always tried to balance creativity with profitability. Sure, New IPs are great, but you also sometimes need well known and highly profitable characters to back you up in case your weird new thing fails. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

They have? 

Yes, just look at the SNES/Game Boy, GBA/GCN and DS/Wii eras for example. Nintendo can do the new IP like Star Fox, Pikmin, and Nintendogs, but can also put well known characters into weird new Game-play styles as well. That's really the secret to their longevity and success. They've always tried to balance creativity with profitability. Sure, New IPs are great, but you also sometimes need well known and highly profitable characters to back you up in case your weird new thing fails. 

I was teasing when I said that

I think they just played it safe while they had the burning ship named Wii U and the early engine problems that the plane named 3ds had. Last gen was literally the generation they HAD to play safe.
With consolidating and a successful platform they are far more likely to be experimental.
Hell both BoTW and SMO are both pretty experimental in themselves.
I'm hoping to see wario land and Mario strikers.

Nintendo should take more risk by creation more new IPs with new characters.

XD84 said:

They already are. But it's equally important to take risks with existing characters as well. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
XD84 said:

They already are. But it's equally important to take risks with existing characters as well. 

With which new games did they take any risks on the Switch?