By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like Motion Blur in games?

Motion Blur in games?

I like it 6 12.00%

Depends on the game 17 34.00%

No, I turn it off if I can 27 54.00%

Total:50

No, I find it very annoying.

Around the Network

No, I really don't. In fact recently I played a game that had it in a very distracting way and I hated it.

A game's visuals should be as crisp and clean as possible, period. I don't recall ever wishing the image was blurrier and smearier when I've been watching a movie or something on TV, so I sure as heck don't want that from my games.

m0ney said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

But I turn it off if I wanna more performance. Otherwise, I don't mind it too much.

Isn't motion blur used to hide lower framerate? So by logic it means that if you turn it off the game taxes your hardware more?

In photography, motion blur occurs automatically due to the exposure time of elements in frame. In games, however, a single frame is an instantaneous point in time captured "perfectly", so motion blur is an after-effect that would have a negative impact on performance, but could produce a more realistic image. I suppose that if a developer wanted to, they could lower the level of detail on objects that are in motion since they will be blurred anyways, and this could offset some of the performance cost.

It's possible I haven't played enough games, but I haven't run into a game where it was bad yet.

Around the Network

I really like motion blur in racing games, really helps with the sense of speed.
Any other game, I turn it off.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I'm surprised to see so many people that don't like motion blur at all.

i'm quite sure it gives me headaches

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I have it on for Warframe switch but I'm not too sure about whether I'll; keep it on or turn it off in the long run

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Digital Foundry did a video on motion blur. I think it comes down to how its used, the method, etc.

For the most part I'm indifferent, I just get annoyed when its genuinely bad.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)