By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like Motion Blur in games?

Motion Blur in games?

I like it 6 12.00%

Depends on the game 17 34.00%

No, I turn it off if I can 27 54.00%

Total:50

I turn it off if I can. Maybe sometimes I don't mind a little bit but usually I think games look and feel much worse with it on.

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
jonathanalis said:
when it shake my hands in front of me, I see motion blur.
So, why not? is a effect of our real observation of the world, why not including in games, if one of the most prevalent premises of games is a virtual simulation of the real world?

When you follow you hands with your eyes, do you still see motion blur ? That motion blur you are talking about will be created anyway by your eyes when you don't track a moving object in a game, no need to simulate the effect as it will be done by your brain.

But motion blur shouldn't normally be used to simulate an effect but to hide the judder any low framerate will cause on our screens. But unfortunately many developers use the motion blur (and CA and grain filter) as an artistic mean to make their games look like old movies. Currently in the videogame industry It's more artsy. The videogame industry has an inferiority complex compared to the older movie industry. So they want their games to look like old movie to elevate their games.

If I follow my hand with my eyes(moving my eyes the same speed of the hand such I can see them blurred), the background will look blurred. We usually don't conceive it because our heads usually don't move as fast as it.

The effect is not only done by my brain, is foremost because of our visual system don't work in a framerate. If I shake my hands in front of me in the dark, but there is a light blinking in a given frequency(ir filming with a short shutter speed), I wont see motion blur. But displays have a framerate, so, you have to simulate the effect to see it when rendering it. 

An easy example to see it is on video. There is motion blur everywhere on faster moving videos with a long shutter speed camera (the model that corresponds better to our visual system) .