By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your thoughts on the Next Ninty Console

My thoughts are, we don't need a new Nintendo console anytime soon. Barring some huge collapse from the Switch.

Around the Network

I have no thoughts because it doesnt exist yet... D:

too early to speculate on the ''what ifs'' at the moment imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

If they want to compete with the 9th generation platforms (PS5 and next Xbox) they should release a new console.

mZuzek said:
Pemalite said:

Resolution itself has absolutely no affect on storage.
PC games from 20 years ago like Half Life 1 can fit on a CD, yet run at 4k.

Everything of mine is 1440P or better these days, rather not make a step backwards, the poor resolution display on the Switch is what is ultimately holding me back from making a snap purchase.

And just because the higher resolution is available, doesn't mean developers are obligated to use it either. - Many Switch games are under 720P.

Resolution doesn't have an effect on storage, but 4K textures do, and heavily so. You know they'll be doing 4K textures if they push 4k, so, there.

720p point is exactly what I'm trying to say. By keeping 1080p as the cap on a more powerful system, it is likely that an increasingly vast majority of the games do run at 1080p while boasting better graphics than they would if they had to render at 4K with 4K textures.

SKMBlake said:

Yeah, that's exactly what they've done with the Wii and then the Wii U (backwards compatibility, including controllers and a few new features).

Eh... the Wii U was nothing like the Wii, not at all. It had the software/hardware backwards compatibility but was overall a much different product. Had a weird new controller no one understood, an incredibly slow OS that was far worse than the Wii's, and was honestly garbage at doing what the Wii did best - local multiplayer.

I think his point is that the Wii U was completely backwards compatable. Games, controllers, periphials, ect. You name it. Everything you could do on the Wii, you could do on the Wii U, plus it added the gamepad.

One did not need to own a Wii, they could own only a WIi U and play everything.

I think part of the reason the Switch has been able to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One is because Nintendo managed to include 4 GB of RAM in the Switch. Since the OS takes such a small chunk, that leaves games with about 3.2 GB of dedicated RAM. Compare that to the PS4, which has 8 GB of RAM, but due to the larger OS constraints, there is closer to 5 GB remaining to dedicate to gaming.

The next generation of consoles is going to aim for 4K, which works out very well for Nintendo, as it's likely that any game that's capable of running in 4K will be able to run just fine on the Switch 2's 1080p screen.

Note: I pulled these numbers off the dome, so I can't imagine they are perfectly accurate, but the point I was trying to make should make sense.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

And games 4 years from now will likewise simply carry momentum established by the evergreen killer apps of now, next year, and beyond. They can look as outdated then as Let's Go does now and it won't matter.

On the same system? I doubt it. Not unless Nintendo is OK with yearly shipments in the 5 million/year range. 

You're turning the Switch into the 3DS if you're just going to let the chipset age that badly, and IMO the sales appeal will drop to a more narrow audience. 

By the end of 2019 alone, Nintendo will have burned through the following franchises:

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon Lets Go, Pokemon Gen 8, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, DKC, possibly Metroid. 

That's pretty much most of their A/B-tier roster. That's also a big issue. Yes you can make a Mario Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9 even, but you're not going to get large hardware boosts in the same way because large portions of the fan base for that IP will already own a Switch. 

A new Switch model with a legitimately higher end chipset that is comparable to what the XBox One X and PS4 Pro (2-3x the power of the base unit) around 2020 are to their predecessors will boost Switch yearly sales, there's just no way it won't. From a business POV it's the right play. 

There's not even any loyalty that you get from the "we want 5-6 years of support no matter what!" crowd, did Nintendo get any loyalty for supporting the Wii for 6 years? Nope, that audience base dumped them like a bad habit with Wii U. Supported the DS for 7 years, and lost half their market with 3DS. You get really very little "bonus points" for pleasing a very small portion of the overall consumer base. Yet everyone and their grandma bought a DS after they only supported the GBA for 3 years.

Switch doesn't need to stay competitive with PS/Xbox; the fact that its surging sales have not affected those platforms' sales shows that they do not directly compete. You don't need a substantially more powerful Switch in 2020 to maintain sales, price cuts and standard hardware revisions will do that.

A proper successor would keep a 1080p screen- you don't need much more than that. But I'm hoping docked has a MUCH higher power through out so it runs 4k. Or, they can thunderbolt3 external GPU on dock.
At this point I'm also hoping for a feature to sync to any screen connected to WiFi and stream 1080p to thouse screens.
The reason I say 1080p is because battery life. Of course, I'm hoping that running 4k thrid party games at 1080 would give it enough headway to make it run at half power flawlessly undocked and have a redicuoous battery life.

Its gonna be the switch U of course.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

On the same system? I doubt it. Not unless Nintendo is OK with yearly shipments in the 5 million/year range. 

You're turning the Switch into the 3DS if you're just going to let the chipset age that badly, and IMO the sales appeal will drop to a more narrow audience. 

By the end of 2019 alone, Nintendo will have burned through the following franchises:

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon Lets Go, Pokemon Gen 8, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, DKC, possibly Metroid. 

That's pretty much most of their A/B-tier roster. That's also a big issue. Yes you can make a Mario Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9 even, but you're not going to get large hardware boosts in the same way because large portions of the fan base for that IP will already own a Switch. 

A new Switch model with a legitimately higher end chipset that is comparable to what the XBox One X and PS4 Pro (2-3x the power of the base unit) around 2020 are to their predecessors will boost Switch yearly sales, there's just no way it won't. From a business POV it's the right play. 

There's not even any loyalty that you get from the "we want 5-6 years of support no matter what!" crowd, did Nintendo get any loyalty for supporting the Wii for 6 years? Nope, that audience base dumped them like a bad habit with Wii U. Supported the DS for 7 years, and lost half their market with 3DS. You get really very little "bonus points" for pleasing a very small portion of the overall consumer base. Yet everyone and their grandma bought a DS after they only supported the GBA for 3 years.

Switch doesn't need to stay competitive with PS/Xbox; the fact that its surging sales have not affected those platforms' sales shows that they do not directly compete. You don't need a substantially more powerful Switch in 2020 to maintain sales, price cuts and standard hardware revisions will do that.

You're gonna get one in 2020 whether you want it or not, lol. Price cuts don't boost Nintendo's profit margin. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

You're gonna get one in 2020 whether you want it or not, lol. Price cuts don't boost Nintendo's profit margin. 

That remains to be seen. Be careful not to build yourself up for a disappointment. And price cuts can actually increase income by raising hardware sales and in turn raising software sales as all those millions of new Switch owners pick up games for their new system.

But we're just going in circles now, so I'm gonna discontinue this one. Please don't quote/@ me.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 November 2018