By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might acquire IO Interactive

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Madword said:

Not sure what your first point was, ignoring that the 90% is still bad as this is not an episodic game, so the 90% comparison is still valid, ok we are still talking about UK here, it might of done well elsewhere but most people seem to think it hasn't.

Love how you think Sales doesn't matter... lol.

Before even talk about MS, I personally was thinking man those sales are bad that doesn't sound good for them. Perhaps I haven't taken into account all the different angles, but there are very few positives about selling that few sales..(based on UK sales).

If the number of staff is true 170, thats a lot of people to pay.... whether you like it or not, companies can't sell small amounts of games and keep teams that size running. Of course sales could pick up etc or it might sell a bucket load on steam, who knows, but shall we just wait and see then right. But you are just doing the opposite of what I am saying and saying sales dont have to be great because its not Call of Duty.

Can you direct me to where I said this? Because as far as I can tell, I never said it or even implied it. Putting words in my mouth are we?

Go on about how me trying to look at a situation from all angles is "thinking sales don't matter" ... I'm sure you can pull a coherent argument out of a misrepresentation  

I'm saying sales are terrible based on AA or AAA levels, based on what it takes to make a game. You are saying I dont know what its sales projections are and its not a COD game so thus sales dont matter because even though it sold bad (and we all know its sold bad), it may be enough... trust me bad sales are never good. It's not even in the top 10 in the UK this week, so that means its down to low thousands.

Wow you really are invested in IO arnt you... why are you so angry about this?

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
COKTOE said:

If this buyout happens, and IO's next project is a Hitman game, it will almost certainly be on the next gen consoles.  Just for fun though, where I come from, Canada, we reward courage. Also the XBO S is $300. So hypothetically, if the MS exclusive Hitman came out next month, it would cost me over $400 ( console and game ) with tax for the cheapest option available. And running it on the S, it would be a substantial step down from the Pro. The original XBO as well as the S, weren't attractive hardware to me years ago, let alone now or in the future. Buying an X and the game would run me about $775. Score! Ha. :)  My faith in PS has been shaken, so maybe, maaaayyybeee, by that time I will have at least partially migrated over to PC gaming. I need to diversify somewhat. I've put so much into PS, that even if things go south for the brand, at least as far as my own interests are concerned, jumping ship will be a huge hassle. It's not at that point yet, but PC has become an increasingly attractive option.

So there is absolutely nothing else that interest you on Xbox ecosystem? Even now with the huge investment in 1st party studios, and likely more to come? 

Ahhhhhhh. I gotta quit posting on Saturday. I'm usually way too gone by the end of the day to recognize basic shapes......It's not so much a matter of Xbox having "absolutely nothing of interest" as it is not needing to buy into another platform. I have well over 1000 games on PS3, PS Vita and PS4. So many games that I will absolutely never be able to play them all between now, and the time I die. To say nothing for the "ecosystem bump' that 10 years and so many games is apt to produce. PS is where all my gaming friends are. It's my only online gaming identity.  I HAD 2 XBL accounts, and if they were still accessible, I may have already re-upped into XBL on a lark. But that's not how MS operates. There are XBO exclusives that interest me, but I'm already in retard territory in terms of overbuying. Also, it's the wettest games collection ever in terms of water. In addition to this, in spite of the solid hardware and software offerings from XB, even if my library were a fraction of what it was, and I could more easily justify another platform purchase....I don't like MS. It's not something I've hidden on this site over the past decade. I don't want to, and won't, buy into what they're selling. So, buying another console, for the privilege of playing a handful of games I wouldn't otherwise have access to, from a company I also don't want to support, is tantamount to madness. Which like my game collection, I also have in spades on any given Saturday.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 26 November 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Madword said:

I'm saying sales are terrible based on AA or AAA levels, based on what it takes to make a game. You are saying I dont know what its sales projections are and its not a COD game so thus sales dont matter because even though it sold bad (and we all know its sold bad), it may be enough... trust me bad sales are never good. It's not even in the top 10 in the UK this week, so that means its down to low thousands.

Angry? Invested in IO?

I don't know if you're just being thick headed at this point, but if you couldn't tell, we were having a perfectly fine, normal conversation up until you took my argument and then just twisted it by putting words in my mouth that I didn't even say or imply (which you have just done for a second time). Which ... would make most people angry, no matter the topic. It's disingenuous, annoying, and a mis-characterization. No where did I say sales don't matter. Instead of just acting like i'm an upset IO fanboy realize you made a mistake and admit it. Because you aren't doing yourself any favors by not recognizing that what you did was crappy. 

That's not even what i'm saying either. Which is the entire reason why I'm not "just doing the opposite" of you (as you put it). I'm saying that there's a possibility the game did horrendously, there's a possibility it didn't, there's a possibility it did somewhere in between. I'm looking at all possibilities and mentioning factors that people seem to forget quite often. My point isn't that it didn't do badly. It very likely did. But we don't know for sure, and part of that reason is that we don't even know the sales (right now it's sold 200-500k on steam, which isn't amazing but it's something) let alone all the other factors that there are to consider. 

COKTOE said:
smroadkill15 said:

So there is absolutely nothing else that interest you on Xbox ecosystem? Even now with the huge investment in 1st party studios, and likely more to come? 

Ahhhhhhh. I gotta quit posting on Saturday. I'm usually way too gone by the end of the day to recognize basic shapes......It's not so much a matter of Xbox having "absolutely nothing of interest" as it is not needing to buy into another platform. I have well over 1000 games on PS3, PS Vita and PS4. So many games that I will absolutely never be able to play them all between now, and the time I die. To say nothing for the "ecosystem bump' that 10 years and so many games is apt to produce. PS is where all my gaming friends are. It's my only online gaming identity.  I HAD 2 XBL accounts, and if they were still accessible, I may have already re-upped into XBL on a lark. But that's not how MS operates. There are XBO exclusives that interest me, but I'm already in retard territory in terms of overbuying. Also, it's the wettest games collection ever in terms of water. In addition to this, in spite of the solid hardware and software offerings from XB, even if my library were a fraction of what it was, and I could more easily justify another platform purchase....I don't like MS. It's not something I've hidden on this site over the past decade. I don't want to, and won't, buy into what they're selling. So, buying another console, for the privilege of playing a handful of games I wouldn't otherwise have access to, from a company I also don't want to support, is tantamount to madness. Which like my game collection, I also have in spades on any given Saturday.

I can respect that. Investing in a specific ecosystem, especially in gaming, is something most of us gamer's do. I'm the same way when it comes to Xbox. If buying any system/game wasn't an issue, I would have done it already. The last part you said, I think is a bad excuse, but to each their own. If you ever do invest into PC, at least Xbox games will be on it. 

Madword said:

Angry? Invested in IO?

I don't know if you're just being thick headed at this point, but if you couldn't tell, we were having a perfectly fine, normal conversation up until you took my argument and then just twisted it by putting words in my mouth that I didn't even say or imply (which you have just done for a second time). Which ... would make most people angry, no matter the topic. It's disingenuous, annoying, and a mis-characterization. No where did I say sales don't matter. Instead of just acting like i'm an upset IO fanboy realize you made a mistake and admit it. Because you aren't doing yourself any favors by not recognizing that what you did was crappy. 

That's not even what i'm saying either. Which is the entire reason why I'm not "just doing the opposite" of you (as you put it). I'm saying that there's a possibility the game did horrendously, there's a possibility it didn't, there's a possibility it did somewhere in between. I'm looking at all possibilities and mentioning factors that people seem to forget quite often. My point isn't that it didn't do badly. It very likely did. But we don't know for sure, and part of that reason is that we don't even know the sales (right now it's sold 200-500k on steam, which isn't amazing but it's something) let alone all the other factors that there are to consider. 

Just asking the case why you were so invested so much (and you are coming across as angry)... I know people can read more/less on an Internet forum, but relax and don't take it so personal. If its just a convo and you are not, no problemo. I'm pretty relaxed about it all, whatever happens - happens, if MS/Someone buys them, then I was probably right, if they don't, then I was probably wrong... but ultimately who cares as you say we dont know the exact details behind closed doors.

Perhaps it has sold enough and everything will be good, and that would be good. But if they had to buy out the studio (where did they get the cash from the 12 + months dev time ) and then pay for development for staff etc, then to have a game that is already out of the top 10 charts, its not good. Of course I will say again, still talking about UK sales figures - perhaps it will do better elsewhere.

In terms of Steam, knock off 30% of any sales and then need to take into account taxes etc, soon burns up the money for any company :( - it's amazing how quick money disappears.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Madword said:

Angry? Invested in IO?

Just asking the case why you were so invested so much (and you are coming across as angry)... I know people can read more/less on an Internet forum, but relax and don't take it so personal. If its just a convo and you are not, no problemo. I'm pretty relaxed about it all, whatever happens - happens, if MS/Someone buys them, then I was probably right, if they don't, then I was probably wrong... but ultimately who cares as you say we dont know the exact details behind closed doors.

Perhaps it has sold enough and everything will be good, and that would be good. But if they had to buy out the studio (where did they get the cash from the 12 + months dev time ) and then pay for development for staff etc, then to have a game that is already out of the top 10 charts, its not good. Of course I will say again, still talking about UK sales figures - perhaps it will do better elsewhere.

In terms of Steam, knock off 30% of any sales and then need to take into account taxes etc, soon burns up the money for any company :( - it's amazing how quick money disappears.

I am perfectly calm now but ... Madword ... level with me for a minute. It's frustrating because it seems like you are not even reading my comments. I just told you twice that I took issue with you lying about what I say and putting words in my mouth. This is the second time you responded with something akin to "bro it's just a discussion calm down". I just said, the discussion isn't the issue, it has nothing to do with IO. If IO gets acquired by Microsoft, well good for Microsoft I guess. The problem is that you put words in my mouth. That is the issue. I don't know what world you live in where you think you can just be disingenuous about someone's points twice in a row, and then just expect them not to care, but that's not a world I want to converse in. I'm willing to let it go, but stop continuing the "it's just a discussion" attitude when I've made it clear the problem wasn't the discussion or IO's future.

As far as the argument that steam knocks off a lot of the money - that's a terrible one. Because this is an industry wide thing, it doesn't just apply to IO interactive. Also, the digital margins across all digital marketplaces are BETTER than physical. So Hitman 2 selling best on Steam (most likely) is actually a good thing. It's one of the best possible sources of revenue. Now could that 30% dictate the future or closure of IO? Yes. But the point is that mentioning the 30% knock of on Steam is almost equivalent to just asking that the publishers never try to sell the game in the first place, since physical revenue is worse and other digital stores have the exact same cuts. 

celador said:
they're basically linked to any middling studio who is struggling, so not surprising

IO is north of middling, but its also easier to buy a company when its not producing massive hits obviously.

Frankly, I wondered why hasn't MS made this move as soon as they left Square Enix. It looks like a competent studio. Also, I read they still own the Freedom Fighters IP! Unfortunately, they didn't get to keep Kane & Lynch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Podings said:
I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that IO would be interested in selling, after just having bought back the Hitman franchise from Squeenix, and experiencing great success with it.

Secondly, Microsof tis not in particularly good standing with the Copenhagen game dev community at large, after a couple of hamfisted purchases and closures.

If Hitman was a great success, I can't help but wonder why SE let it go. Also, we don't really know how IO is doing.

Any who, I wouldn't be surprised if this become nothing, but I think it would be a good purchase for MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

IO will be a waste of money. I dont see where either company benefits from this rumoured buyout.

Azzanation said:
IO will be a waste of money. I dont see where either company benefits from this rumoured buyout.

That's because you are not into the correct place to be able to see it, and in my opinion that might be a reason for it to be too early to assume it is a waste of money.