By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might acquire IO Interactive

Bristow9091 said:

I wish the big three would just open new studios instead of buying developers and dividing the fanbase... the only time I think it works out is if it's a second party developer that has mainly made exclusives, such as if Sony were to buy Insomniac.

Most of Microsoft's purchases have made perfect sense even in this regard though. Undead Labs and Playground Games were both second party, Compulsion games whilst having both their games on PS4 was heavily marketed by Microsoft, inXile and Obsidian have been PC focused for a while now (with the South Park games being the only mainstream console-oriented games Obsidian have worked on since F:NV). There was a thread a while back talking about how Playstation's acquisitions during the PS1/2 era are not comparable to Microsoft's acquisitions now because the devs they scooped up were "known" for and had mostly made Playstation 1/2 games. When you account for the fact that multiplatform game releases is the norm now, that correlation is mostly true for Microsoft as well (because comparing it to the PS1 era is awful, since you had to specialize development towards one platform most of the time). They've been picking up studios known for Xbox and PC content. 

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm pretty sure Io Interactive own the IP, otherwise every article I've read about it is just purposely vague.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/16/15816232/io-interactive-hitman

https://trademarks.justia.com/784/28/hitman-78428222.html

I don't think the articles are purposely vague, they are vague because Square in general has been vague about this whole deal.

I'm not really sure why Square Enix wouldn't allow them to use the IP now, if they let them use the IP without Square getting any of the profits in the first place. That's already exceedingly generous, and I don't see why Hitman 3 being a Xbox/PC exclusive would suddenly ruffle Square's feathers. Most people don't even think they own Hitman anymore, no egg would be on their face. Besides, this is the same company that allowed their biggest Western franchise to be a console exclusive for a year. 

COKTOE said:

Now THIS ONE really pisses me off. I was day dreaming about Hitman 2 the last couple of days. Really enjoying it, but didn't have the chance to play it. Now I kinda want to eject the disk and soak it in bleach. The very idea.....I nominated IO for the developer tournament! I'm just going to assume this is happening, and that IO, who I have likely referenced as my favorite developer of all time more than any other ( it fluctuates a bit ), is now lost to me forever. Great way to start the day. #eatshit #hashtag #poundsign

There's a chart out there that shows Hitman 2 having a higher player count day 1 than 2016, and also a much more consistent players per day than 2016. It's based on Steam's player count stats which is easily accessible too, so it's probably not a fabrication. Considering most of the profits of 2016 went to Square Enix, unlike 2018, I think that they'll be fine. After all losing Io Interactive and Hitman contributed to a $48 million loss, so the brand made profit already under Square

Well, that's good to hear. twintail said it's "performing badly in sales". I hope it's doing well. It's a very a solid game that deserves some love.

smroadkill15 said:
COKTOE said:

If this buyout happens, and IO's next project is a Hitman game, it will almost certainly be on the next gen consoles.  Just for fun though, where I come from, Canada, we reward courage. Also the XBO S is $300. So hypothetically, if the MS exclusive Hitman came out next month, it would cost me over $400 ( console and game ) with tax for the cheapest option available. And running it on the S, it would be a substantial step down from the Pro. The original XBO as well as the S, weren't attractive hardware to me years ago, let alone now or in the future. Buying an X and the game would run me about $775. Score! Ha. :)  My faith in PS has been shaken, so maybe, maaaayyybeee, by that time I will have at least partially migrated over to PC gaming. I need to diversify somewhat. I've put so much into PS, that even if things go south for the brand, at least as far as my own interests are concerned, jumping ship will be a huge hassle. It's not at that point yet, but PC has become an increasingly attractive option.

So there is absolutely nothing else that interest you on Xbox ecosystem? Even now with the huge investment in 1st party studios, and likely more to come? 

Ha.That's difficult to answer without a multi-paragraph long response. I'll try to whittle it down and get back to you. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Conina said:

And yet you suggest that that the thought of an acquisition didn't cross the minds of IO's management.

Their thoughts regarding the importance of studio independence aren't any clearer or better known, are they?

I doubted that it did, big difference which means I'm not absolutely certain ... 

Bristow9091 said:

But you're forgetting developers that own their IPs, such as how IO Interactive own the Hitman IP, not their publisher, which means if Microsoft buys them, Playstation owners will need an XBox or PC to play future Hitman games, hence dividing the fanbase lol :P 

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that some of the new MS-owned studios will make multiplat games.  At least one current MS owned studio already does - Mojang.   

Around the Network

Kind of an odd move if true. For starters, the developer pushed really hard to break off of Square Enix last year because they wanted their independence. The only reason I could see them considering being bought out is if Hitman 2 isn’t showing any sort of promise financially. Seeing as that franchise is pretty much the only thing that studio has going for it, a bit out would be pointless if that game no longer has the mass appeal it used to. But, most of the studios MS has bought out recently we’re odd choices, so I guess anything is possible.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Barkley said:
WoodenPints said:

IO Interactive don't own the Hitman IP so if Microsoft or another big publisher did buy them they would loose their exclusive rights to it as Square Enix own the Hitman IP. If anyone were to acquire IOI it would be purely on the basis of the development teams quality and efficiency that they can pump out good games.

"IO Interactive has revealed it has officially gone independent and, better still, will "keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP.""

Hitman 2 already has no involvement with Square. It's published by Warner Bros.

Yeah here's the quote saying they own the IP “Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP,” Abrak wrote. “This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP — we’re about to forge our own future and it’s incredibly exciting.”

flashfire926 said:

I'm pretty sure Io Interactive own the IP, otherwise every article I've read about it is just purposely vague.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/16/15816232/io-interactive-hitman

https://trademarks.justia.com/784/28/hitman-78428222.html

I don't think the articles are purposely vague, they are vague because Square in general has been vague about this whole deal.

The Status Date on your link is 2015-10-29 so it looks like it isn't up to date  as IO split from square in 2017  and they've outright said they kept all the rights to the Hitman IP

Are they just going to keep gravitating to new publishers or something? They went to Warner bros after SE so they already have someone to help publish their games and deal with the money issues. Maybe they wanted more money. If they go to MS it's definitely not the independence, but the money they wanted.

If this is true, MS is really throwing around their money like crazy now trying to get studios that already have publishers, which is extremely bad for the gaming industry imo... and as someone that isn't fond of MS at all and wishes they would get out of the gaming industry I can see a bleak future ahead for smaller studios. Maybe even bigger studios.

Lube Me Up

DialgaMarine said:
Kind of an odd move if true. For starters, the developer pushed really hard to break off of Square Enix last year because they wanted their independence. The only reason I could see them considering being bought out is if Hitman 2 isn’t showing any sort of promise financially. Seeing as that franchise is pretty much the only thing that studio has going for it, a bit out would be pointless if that game no longer has the mass appeal it used to. But, most of the studios MS has bought out recently we’re odd choices, so I guess anything is possible.

Square Enix pushed for ending the partnership, not IO Interactive! IO Interactive made the best out of that situation, but it wasn't their decision to go separate ways.

Here are interviews with both sides:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-11-square-enix-drops-io-interactive

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-13-io-interactive-targets-more-hitman-and-more-control

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-22-its-not-hitman-without-io-why-square-enix-set-the-franchise-free

I don’t consider the Hitman IP as powerful. This studio needs something new to work on.
Perfect Dark would be awesome

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...