Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might acquire IO Interactive

Conina said:

And yet you suggest that that the thought of an acquisition didn't cross the minds of IO's management.

Their thoughts regarding the importance of studio independence aren't any clearer or better known, are they?

I doubted that it did, big difference which means I'm not absolutely certain ... 

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

But you're forgetting developers that own their IPs, such as how IO Interactive own the Hitman IP, not their publisher, which means if Microsoft buys them, Playstation owners will need an XBox or PC to play future Hitman games, hence dividing the fanbase lol :P 

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that some of the new MS-owned studios will make multiplat games.  At least one current MS owned studio already does - Mojang.   

VAMatt said:
Bristow9091 said:

But you're forgetting developers that own their IPs, such as how IO Interactive own the Hitman IP, not their publisher, which means if Microsoft buys them, Playstation owners will need an XBox or PC to play future Hitman games, hence dividing the fanbase lol :P 

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that some of the new MS-owned studios will make multiplat games.  At least one current MS owned studio already does - Mojang.   

I guess it depends on how you define multiplatform, the only thing I imagine they'll release on rival platforms is any new Minecraft related games, which would of course come from Mojang. 

Kind of an odd move if true. For starters, the developer pushed really hard to break off of Square Enix last year because they wanted their independence. The only reason I could see them considering being bought out is if Hitman 2 isn’t showing any sort of promise financially. Seeing as that franchise is pretty much the only thing that studio has going for it, a bit out would be pointless if that game no longer has the mass appeal it used to. But, most of the studios MS has bought out recently we’re odd choices, so I guess anything is possible.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Barkley said:
WoodenPints said:

IO Interactive don't own the Hitman IP so if Microsoft or another big publisher did buy them they would loose their exclusive rights to it as Square Enix own the Hitman IP. If anyone were to acquire IOI it would be purely on the basis of the development teams quality and efficiency that they can pump out good games.

"IO Interactive has revealed it has officially gone independent and, better still, will "keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP.""

Hitman 2 already has no involvement with Square. It's published by Warner Bros.

Yeah here's the quote saying they own the IP “Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP,” Abrak wrote. “This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP — we’re about to forge our own future and it’s incredibly exciting.”

flashfire926 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm pretty sure Io Interactive own the IP, otherwise every article I've read about it is just purposely vague.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/16/15816232/io-interactive-hitman

https://trademarks.justia.com/784/28/hitman-78428222.html

I don't think the articles are purposely vague, they are vague because Square in general has been vague about this whole deal.

The Status Date on your link is 2015-10-29 so it looks like it isn't up to date  as IO split from square in 2017  and they've outright said they kept all the rights to the Hitman IP

Around the Network

Are they just going to keep gravitating to new publishers or something? They went to Warner bros after SE so they already have someone to help publish their games and deal with the money issues. Maybe they wanted more money. If they go to MS it's definitely not the independence, but the money they wanted.

If this is true, MS is really throwing around their money like crazy now trying to get studios that already have publishers, which is extremely bad for the gaming industry imo... and as someone that isn't fond of MS at all and wishes they would get out of the gaming industry I can see a bleak future ahead for smaller studios. Maybe even bigger studios.

Lube Me Up

DialgaMarine said:
Kind of an odd move if true. For starters, the developer pushed really hard to break off of Square Enix last year because they wanted their independence. The only reason I could see them considering being bought out is if Hitman 2 isn’t showing any sort of promise financially. Seeing as that franchise is pretty much the only thing that studio has going for it, a bit out would be pointless if that game no longer has the mass appeal it used to. But, most of the studios MS has bought out recently we’re odd choices, so I guess anything is possible.

Square Enix pushed for ending the partnership, not IO Interactive! IO Interactive made the best out of that situation, but it wasn't their decision to go separate ways.

Here are interviews with both sides:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-11-square-enix-drops-io-interactive

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-13-io-interactive-targets-more-hitman-and-more-control

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-22-its-not-hitman-without-io-why-square-enix-set-the-franchise-free

I don’t consider the Hitman IP as powerful. This studio needs something new to work on.
Perfect Dark would be awesome

There once was a great sig here, but it got killed.

A moment of silence would be appreciated.

DialgaMarine said:

So did Respawn, but EA offered them a big sack of money and they took it. Big publishers seem to take on smaller studios that are either weak or down on their luck after a few years of flops here and there. 

COKTOE said:

Now THIS ONE really pisses me off. I was day dreaming about Hitman 2 the last couple of days. Really enjoying it, but didn't have the chance to play it. Now I kinda want to eject the disk and soak it in bleach. The very idea.....I nominated IO for the developer tournament! I'm just going to assume this is happening, and that IO, who I have likely referenced as my favorite developer of all time more than any other ( it fluctuates a bit ), is now lost to me forever. Great way to start the day. #eatshit #hashtag #poundsign

Why do so many people become upset when Microsoft aquires studios but we rarely see the same level of anger when Sony or Nintendo does likewise?