By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your early impressions of Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee?

Tagged games:

My little brother bought it and we've played up to Cerulean City in co-op.

Pokemon being visible in the world is such a massive, massive improvement over random battles it's not even funny.

Not only does it make the world look and feel so much more alive seeing them roaming around, but being able to see what they are and pick whether to engage or avoid them beats the hell out of getting teleported to another dimension to fight another fucking zubat/geodude/ratata every ten steps.

The series should never go back to random battles after this, that would be a terrible regression.

Around the Network

Greatly enjoying thus far. The overemphasis on the Pokemon GO catching mechanic and the lack of Pro Controller support are the only really problems I have. But I think it's been really good otherwise.

And God Damn It, why does Eevee have to be so fucking cute!!!!?!!!! I spend a quarter of my time playing with her, feeding her, and petting her than I actually do playing the game!

PAOerfulone said:
Greatly enjoying thus far. The overemphasis on the Pokemon GO catching mechanic and the lack of Pro Controller support are the only really problems I have. But I think it's been really good otherwise.

And God Damn It, why does Eevee have to be so fucking cute!!!!?!!!!

I hope Game Freak adds Pro Controller support. I'm having trouble getting used to using one Joy-Con to play the game.

Also, not sure what everyone is talking about when it comes to framerate; haven't seen any major drops so far, just some loading hitches when moving between areas. It sure as hell does not "run at 10fps in Viridian Forest". Granted, I've only played docked mode, so I can't speak for how it runs portably, but I'm just not seeing these alleged huge dips.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 November 2018

Mr.GameCrazy said:
PAOerfulone said:

I hope Game Freak adds Pro Controller support. I'm having trouble getting used to using one Joy-Con to play the game.

I really don't understand why this isn't a thing already. The control scheme is already there in handheld, literally all they need to do is allow you to turn motion off and choose the buttons. It's leaving disabled gamers out too. I've read plenty of stories of people with limited movement who physically can't perform the throwing action, but can press buttons, and GF has completely cast them aside with no way to actually play the game. Forced motion controls are never good in games that don't need them (games like Wii Sports of course not included)

curl-6 said:

Also, not sure what everyone is talking about when it comes to framerate; haven't seen any major drops so far, just some loading hitches when moving between areas. It sure as hell does not "run at 10fps in Viridian Forest". I've only played docked mode, so I can't speak for how it runs portably, but I'm just not seeing these alleged huge dips.

The dips are all in handheld. It slows down a bit in docked, but nothing major.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

My little brother bought it and we've played up to Cerulean City in co-op.

Pokemon being visible in the world is such a massive, massive improvement over random battles it's not even funny.

Not only does it make the world look and feel so much more alive seeing them roaming around, but being able to see what they are and pick whether to engage or avoid them beats the hell out of getting teleported to another dimension to fight another fucking zubat/geodude/ratata every ten steps.

The series should never go back to random battles after this, that would be a terrible regression.

I agree. I already thought after the trailers that this is an improvement, but trying it out myself I can really see of HOW MUCH OF AN BIG IMPROVEMENT that is! I was after the trailers in the hope that you still battle wild Pokemon for catching, but now seeing it myself I ask myself if we can't decide if we want to battle or catch the wild Pokemon.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I have about 18hrs into it and ive been loving it so far. Really fun. Reviewers are right though about the motion. It's not terrible, but i do get 1-2 bad motion responses per capture. Other than that I don't really have too many complaints in my time so far.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Mr.GameCrazy said:
PAOerfulone said:

Urg! You can't even use the Pro Controller at all with this? After hearing of mostly positive things about it since release I was thinking of grabbing it  late this week but no controller support would be quite a deal breaker for me.

RingoGaSuki said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I really don't understand why this isn't a thing already. The control scheme is already there in handheld, literally all they need to do is allow you to turn motion off and choose the buttons. It's leaving disabled gamers out too. I've read plenty of stories of people with limited movement who physically can't perform the throwing action, but can press buttons, and GF has completely cast them aside with no way to actually play the game. Forced motion controls are never good in games that don't need them (games like Wii Sports of course not included)

curl-6 said:

Also, not sure what everyone is talking about when it comes to framerate; haven't seen any major drops so far, just some loading hitches when moving between areas. It sure as hell does not "run at 10fps in Viridian Forest". I've only played docked mode, so I can't speak for how it runs portably, but I'm just not seeing these alleged huge dips.

The dips are all in handheld. It slows down a bit in docked, but nothing major.

Strange I played in handheld for a couple of hours today and only noticed one minor instance of slowdown. It's run perfectly fine for me outside of that.

The world is amazing. The details make all difference. Same places and map, but the vision angle make we change the perspective of some areas. Really well done in the presentation.
Some slowdowns, but common, is not an action game, it do not make difference in the gameplay. The only bad part about the gameplay is the catch motion controls on dock. But I play only on HH, so, no problems.
It is a little slow paced, not only on walking, but includes (still not got a mount or bike in game, though).
The surprise factor of the random encounter changed to the surprise factor of the new pokemon appearing in the side of the screen. So, we can ditch random encounters forever. After getting surprised for finding a pokemon on your screen, you try to get to the pokemon, while avoiding the others. That adds the dimension that you have to get to the pokemon, chase it. seems a far better system, and more of what pokemon should be. The best feature in the game.