By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your early impressions of Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee?

Tagged games:

I got the ‘brown Pikachu’ ver. First thing yesterday morning. Loving it so far. The poke ball plus is surprisingly great, I was worried about wild Pokémon encounters originally but I find catching new Pokémon to be more fun than battle. As somebody who skipped Pokémon go (I prefer not to have a phone) and an unwavering fan of every Pokémon game since I first got blue, let’s go: Brown Pikachu has been a surprise winner for me.

Around the Network

I am fully in love with this game and can't put it down i will even play it in dangerous areas risking my switch lol
The graphics and mechanics are so mesmerizing onpy bad thing is i cant stop my whole squad from leveling up so fast i thought there would be an off option for exp share

mZuzek said:
RingoGaSuki said:

I got the game as a surprise present today, and am playing through. The game itself is much better than I was expecting, but there's something that makes me very worried for next year's games; the frame rate is atrocious, somehow even worse than on the 3DS. The game runs at an unstable 20-30fps and stutters heavily in any area with much going on. It stuttered so badly (definitely under 10fps) in Viridian Forest that I thought my Switch was dying.

Game Freak are terrible devs and they really need to bring in a lot of new expertise or get help from another dev to make next years games or they're going to fall far short of what they could be.

I think Game Freak know they're crap and just don't care, because why would they when every game sells 10m+ anyway.

Still, I'm shocked to know they couldn't get the framerate right on such an unambitious game with 3DS-level graphics. They can't tell me that's the best the game can run when a game like Smash Ultimate runs at a consistent 60fps... I thought the framerate issues were a 3DS problem, but apparently Game Freak's crappiness extends to any system.

Any way you could tone down such rudeness about a loved dev team in the future to not piss people off and start a flame war? Thanks

mZuzek said:
ResilientFighter said:

Any way you could tone down such rudeness about a loved dev team in the future to not piss people off and start a flame war? Thanks

...nah, not really. If you or anyone else around here was an employee or shareholder at Game Freak, I guess I'd understand, but I don't think it's the case. It's okay to love them for what they do, not everyone can create such a prosper franchise in Pokémon, but they have never been talented at making games from a technical perspective, and Let's Go is a prime example of it. I do have a personal grudge against them currently because I heavily dislike the direction the Pokémon series has taken in recent years, but calling them out for their laziness and technical incompetence is something I would've done even back when I was into their games.

I don't think I started a flame war here at all, actually.

Calling one of the biggest devs of all time crap because you are pissed they dont pander to your tastes is not going to do anything seeing as the game is well reviewed and selling fast so go ahead hate it all you want 

Amazing so far! Great to see a pokemon game with better visuals and playing it on TV!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Also, I'm doing the review for VGchartz on this one :)

It is what it is. It's a remake of Yellow designed to be less complicated than the main games for the Go crowd and younger player. And Evee (I got that version) is absolutely adorable. If that sounds like your thing, you'll like it. If not, then you won't.

mZuzek said:
RingoGaSuki said:

I got the game as a surprise present today, and am playing through. The game itself is much better than I was expecting, but there's something that makes me very worried for next year's games; the frame rate is atrocious, somehow even worse than on the 3DS. The game runs at an unstable 20-30fps and stutters heavily in any area with much going on. It stuttered so badly (definitely under 10fps) in Viridian Forest that I thought my Switch was dying.

Game Freak are terrible devs and they really need to bring in a lot of new expertise or get help from another dev to make next years games or they're going to fall far short of what they could be.

I think Game Freak know they're crap and just don't care, because why would they when every game sells 10m+ anyway.

Still, I'm shocked to know they couldn't get the framerate right on such an unambitious game with 3DS-level graphics. They can't tell me that's the best the game can run when a game like Smash Ultimate runs at a consistent 60fps... I thought the framerate issues were a 3DS problem, but apparently Game Freak's crappiness extends to any system.

While Let's Go surely is no technical marvel, the graphic has evolved much more than just a resolution upgrade (which in itself is nice). The visible Pokemon on the map means a lot of animated models are visible at any time, which pushes the polycount up considerably. Also many models look reworked  with more polygons and things like moving grass when you or a pokemon go through  it is also a nice graphical update.

The game itself is better than I expected. I already thought the visible Pokemon should be also in the core game, now I even think that I should be able to choose if I wanna catch or fight a wild Pokemon. I'm not so fond of the motion controls for catching itself, but my Pokeball Plus is still in delivery, maybe it works better with that. Still, game is quite fun. The Metascore is quite spot on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ResilientFighter said:
mZuzek said:

...nah, not really. If you or anyone else around here was an employee or shareholder at Game Freak, I guess I'd understand, but I don't think it's the case. It's okay to love them for what they do, not everyone can create such a prosper franchise in Pokémon, but they have never been talented at making games from a technical perspective, and Let's Go is a prime example of it. I do have a personal grudge against them currently because I heavily dislike the direction the Pokémon series has taken in recent years, but calling them out for their laziness and technical incompetence is something I would've done even back when I was into their games.

I don't think I started a flame war here at all, actually.

Calling one of the biggest devs of all time crap because you are pissed they dont pander to your tastes is not going to do anything seeing as the game is well reviewed and selling fast so go ahead hate it all you want 

You do know that no matter how much you blindly praise Game Freak on the internet, it doesn't change the fact that they can't make a technically sound game? I love Pokemon and Game Freak has given me a lot of good memories, but at the end of the day, they're just a company. They're not your friends/family, and screaming "HOW DARE YOU!" at any bit of reasonable criticism is illogical. 

Really enjoyable so far. Seems faster paced which is good because I kind of don't want to have a long playtime for it. I have other games I need to play as well so a shorter runtime and faster pace is appreciated.