By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What I Want For The Next Zelda

Jumpin said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, I would prefer that as well, I don't think Zelda should be sandbox open-world, instead more of narrative driven semi open-world.
To add insult to injury, climbing, the way it's implemented, makes it even easier to bypass most of natural obstacles or passages guarded by tough enemies, so even that as usual way to nudge player into certain direction and story progression is negated in BotW.

That would re-introduce some of the major problems that past 3D games had. Notably, the “find the needle in the haystack in order to progress” stuff that plagued the 3D series since Ocarina of Time. The difference is that the much larger size of the game map would compound that problem meaning lots of people getting stuck due to simply not being able to find something - this already happened in much smaller Zelda games making going to Gamefaqs or quitting the only two steps for anyone who didn’t have several hours to work on trying to figure out one thing - part of the beauty of Breath of the Wild is that everything felt like progress, and if you felt like you were stuck at any point, you could skip it - come back later when you’re better equipped, or ignore it altogether since there’s a ton of other things you can do to build yourself up.

I get that developers these days are affraid of people getting stuck, but if that happens, I much prefer that to free-roam approach of BotW - i guesss it boils down to personal preference in the end, but BotW is quite far away from what i expected when they announced it would be open world. Some of my favorite games (like Might&Magic VI and Morrowind) are free-roam open-worlds, yet I don't want that from Zelda - there are really good story driven semi open-worlds that have quite a bit of exploration, yet they don't sacrifice main story arc cause of it, and that's what i think would suit Zelda better.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
XD84 said:
Better soundtrack (BotW was in my opinion one of the worst of the series)
Better story

Did we play the same game? Breath of the Wild’s soundtrack is no doubt one of the best - I’d argue the best in the whole franchise.

Well then we just dont have the same taste in music.

Barkley said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Another addition to the next Zelda I thought of, but I imagine it won't be a very popular idea, is what if Link could talk, at least a little.

"Well excuuuuuse me, Princess!" *shoots cartoon Link* And I don't mean like that.

Or an interesting and bold move would be making it so nobody could talk! No voice actors at all!

(I played BOTW with Japanese voice acting on, I switched to english for a minute and when Zelda opened her mouth I wanted to die.)

But the English voice was better. :-/

I don't know how they will come up with next one. How do you top BotW.

Bring back musical instruments as tools for exploration and puzzle solving. OoT and Majora's mask did this so well - Wind Waker to a lesser extent.

Would love to face a dungeon or set of shrines that emphasize some bit of musical/rhythm gameplay.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Keep everything that made BOTW so great and flesh out some dungeons and better boss fights. That's really what i WANT

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

CaptainExplosion said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Keep everything that made BOTW so great and flesh out some dungeons and better boss fights. That's really what i WANT

And much bigger enemy variety. *ReDead scream in the distance* Even the terrifying ones.

Yeah there's really not too many big changes they need to make to the current formula. Most of the problems can actually be fixed by listening to fan feedback

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

drbunnig said:
- Slightly smaller world, traversing became a bit of a ballache even with all the warps.

No kidding here. I have invested 170 hours in my fourth playthrough and I have yet to explore almost the entirety of Hebra and also all of the Gerudo Highlands, Akkala and Lanayru. I mean, for a player that wants to see and collect everything, this version of Hyrule is way too much, it becomes overwhelming very quickly, given that a lot of that time is just going to be composed of lots of walking and the usual Korok seed hunting. 

Regarding the durability, on principle, I really don't have anything against it, it works nice in early game when you're very vulnerable and the enemies don't feel like sponges, but the functionality drags as you go on. A knight sword can kill a Silver Lizalfos and drain a small portion of the HP of another one, I think? That doesn't seem acceptable. A blacksmith that grants repairs and sells weapons or tweaks in the enemies' HP or in the damage formula could do wonders. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

PwerlvlAmy said:

Pretty much this

SvennoJ said:

World of Warcraft has (or had) it and for the 3 years I played it I only saw the world in daylight when I could play in the weekend... I will forever remember WoW as a dreary dark world.

For the next Zelda I would like more dungeons and underground areas to explore.

It's pretty amazing and real shame that they skipped underground areas all together.

i remember coming up to rock formation in the cliff, obvious "bomb it to pass" moment, only to find chest right behind it. Another time, IIRC, there was rocks in the well, "oh, hidden passage" i thought...nope, another chest.

I honestly have no idea why would they skip entire underground - after a while it seemed to me as if they put placeholders on those locations to implement undergrounfd locations later and then decided not to and just put the chest instead.