By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wins 12 mil from loveroms in lawsuit

Mandalore76 said:

Most people will never get to own a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider, but I don't think it would go over well if I opened up a car dealership called "Love Stolen Cars".  

Mandalore76 said:

Should we also fret over the life of a bank robber being ruined when they get caught?  Whose fault is it that they chose not to make an honest living?  There are risks involved when you decide to take short-cuts in life by profiting off of things you have no legal right to.

Oh, your comparisons are just so brilliant. I have another comparison for this situation: It's like a pharma company suing a maker of a generic drug without patent of said company to save lives it in third world countries which are not rich enough to get the original medicine. How evil of the maker of the genric drug and how noble of the pharma company to stop that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
1. Providing a service like this is kinda asking for trouble, especially if you make money on it through ads or other means. That said...

2. I don't think it makes a difference legally (could of course differ from nation to nation) but when games aren't actually sold anywhere (and no, I don't count the second hand market) then I personally have no issues with sites providing roms or iso's for those games. If the maker wants to continue to make money on those titles they should make them available for purchase.

3. 12 million is overkill.

Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros. 3 were all specifically named in the lawsuit.  Nintendo has made these available for purchase on multiple hardware iterations.  There is "zero" argument for these titles to be necessary to appear on a ROM site.

Mnementh said:
Mandalore76 said:

Most people will never get to own a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider, but I don't think it would go over well if I opened up a car dealership called "Love Stolen Cars".  

Mandalore76 said:

Should we also fret over the life of a bank robber being ruined when they get caught?  Whose fault is it that they chose not to make an honest living?  There are risks involved when you decide to take short-cuts in life by profiting off of things you have no legal right to.

Oh, your comparisons are just so brilliant. I have another comparison for this situation: It's like a pharma company suing a maker of a generic drug without patent of said company to save lives it in third world countries which are not rich enough to get the original medicine. How evil of the maker of the genric drug and how noble of the pharma company to stop that.

You pirates will justify yourselves to no end won't you.

Your comparison is saving lives from the evil company. (FYI, most of those generic drug makers are actually the company itself. They sell their big drugs to places for cheap and make their R&D money back by charging developed countries more)

You pirates are saving history by making sure that these precious video games don't disappear.

Good example: I start selling clothing apparel online with copywrited characters on it. That is what rom sites are doing. They are making a profit off of something that is not theirs to make a profit off of.

Mnementh said:
Mandalore76 said:

Mandalore76 said:

What is noble about pirating ROMs of Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros 3, etc?  These games are legally obtainable several different ways from Nintendo.

First emuparadise, and now this...

Well, getting ROMs of old games will get difficult.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

First emuparadise, and now this...

Well, getting ROMs of old games will get difficult.

haven't downloaded old gba and snes games in like 8 years so I just googled to see how hard it was to get them. Found a lot of stuff in like a minute lol 

ridiculous imo, almost all of them they never use in thier services no one else goes after retro titles like that, i hope nintendo are sued one day. if they got 12 million fine then that site must have been making lots of money though

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Mandalore76 said:
pokoko said:

Are you doing bad analogies on purpose or something?  

Are you purposely ignoring the point that someone took a shortcut in life to profit off of someone else's property and got caught?  When you use someone else's property to try and make a profit for yourself, the repercussions of getting caught are yours to deal with.  No reason to lament that.

I ignored your post because you're purposefully exaggerating in order to make an argument.  You want to have a discussion about what actually happened?  Don't exaggerate and then act like people are avoiding the point.

We aren't talking about stealing and selling cars.  If they did that, they'd be in jail on criminal charges, not in a civil lawsuit.

We aren't talking about robbing banks.  If they did that, they'd be in jail on a long list of criminal charges and likely incarcerated for a very long time.

As far as your point, I see no problem with questioning the severity of any repercussions and whether or not they fit the crime.  

Skeeuk said:
ridiculous imo, almost all of them they never use in thier services no one else goes after retro titles like that, i hope nintendo are sued one day. if they got 12 million fine then that site must have been making lots of money though

Most likely a deterent to others vs actually getting money. Guessing the couple will pay like 6 figures and file bankruptcy.

I mean think of back when Napster was a thing. Some girl got like sued for like 1,000 a song or something ridiculous and she had like 100,000 songs downloaded.  Obviosly she didn't pay out 100 million dollars.

The point is, to scare away others from doing the same.

I have always hated copyright laws. When is the government going to step up and make copyright laws similar to patent laws which expire after a few years. No one should get in trouble for enjoying and sharing 20 year old products as long as they are not making a profit out of it.