By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wins 12 mil from loveroms in lawsuit

Yeah, on one hand it sucks that Nintendo isn't making these games available on their newest hardware but they're still within their right to do this. I don't know if other companies will follow suit because they generally aren't as overly protective of their IP as Nintendo. But just for game preservation purposes, I'm sure torrents + VPNs will still outlive any efforts Nintendo has.

Around the Network

I'm not sure if I totally agree with Nintendo's position. I know it's their IP, and they are entitled to protect them, but, is there a way for a user to, nowadays, legally play every Nintendo's game? (I don't own any Nintendo system, so I genuinely don't how Nintendo's ecosystem works)

At the end of the day I cannot really condemn Nintendo's actions, but I feel that this measure is denying younger generations the opportunity to play old gems.

shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, this was one of my go-to ROM sites, now it is dead because Nintendo is shitty. Basically every other publisher is open to ROM's of 15+ year old games, or at least tolerates them. If Nintendo keeps up this war it will kill older niche games from Nintendo platforms, those have no hope of ever getting ports, showing up in mini consoles, or showing up on Nintendo's online service. There are few surviving physical copies of those niche games, without ROM's they will essentially cease to exist. 

Most people will never get to own a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider, but I don't think it would go over well if I opened up a car dealership called "Love Stolen Cars".  

Diogo said:
I'm not sure if I totally agree with Nintendo's position. I know it's their IP, and they are entitled to protect them, but, is there a way for a user to, nowadays, legally play every Nintendo's game? (I don't own any Nintendo system, so I genuinely don't how Nintendo's ecosystem works)

At the end of the day I cannot really condemn Nintendo's actions, but I feel that this measure is denying younger generations the opportunity to play old gems.

With or without spending money?  Because, hobbies require investment.  Pat "The NES Punk" Contri completed his NES collection earlier this year.  So, I'm going to say, yeah.  If you're asking if there is a way to play every Nintendo game for free, the answer is of course no.  

The only problem I have with this is that shutting down sites that carry ROMs of old games means that some of those titles won't be available anywhere at all, which is a really unfortunate situation in terms of historical preservation.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, this was one of my go-to ROM sites, now it is dead because Nintendo is shitty. Basically every other publisher is open to ROM's of 15+ year old games, or at least tolerates them. If Nintendo keeps up this war it will kill older niche games from Nintendo platforms, those have no hope of ever getting ports, showing up in mini consoles, or showing up on Nintendo's online service. There are few surviving physical copies of those niche games, without ROM's they will essentially cease to exist. 

Well if everyone else is ok with it, then why not just open a rom site with all old games except ones made by or published by Nintendo?

They could even call the rom site What Nintendont Roms.

shikamaru317 said:
Mandalore76 said:

Most people will never get to own a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider, but I don't think it would go over well if I opened up a car dealership called "Love Stolen Cars".  

Really poor analogy. Nobody makes money off of ROM's of 15+ year old out of circulation games, and the publishers lose no money either because those games are no longer available new. Comparing the Emulation of 15+ year old consoles to modern day game piracy just doesn't work. Nintendo just struck a huge blow against game preservation efforts, because they just set a precedent that is causing other ROM sites to close. 

You make it sound like Rom sites are historical societies preserving these precious video games to history and doing mankind a service.

Any "rom" you want, you can find that game somewhere from somebody and pay money for it. End of story. Just cause you don't want to pay some Ebay price of $100.00 for a game made in 1981 doesn't give you the right to pirate it.

shikamaru317 said:
KLXVER said:

Well if everyone else is ok with it, then why not just open a rom site with all old games except ones made by or published by Nintendo?

They could even call the rom site What Nintendont Roms.

That is probably what will happen now. While several ROM sites have closed today after this news broke, I suspect they are only temporarily offline while they remove any Nintendo published games from their site. Hopefully they don't take as drastic of measures as removing all NES/SNES/N64 games though, as that would cause the loss a great many games published by 3rd parties on those platforms. 

I don't think Nintendo would have a case against third party games on their platforms. 

Mandalore76 said:
Diogo said:

With or without spending money?  Because, hobbies require investment.  Pat "The NES Punk" Contri completed his NES collection earlier this year.  So, I'm going to say, yeah.  If you're asking if there is a way to play every Nintendo game for free, the answer is of course no.  

When I say legal I mean paying for it , but I don't consider the solution of having to buy the original console and then trying to find a copy of the game a good solution, at least for systems with over 20 years. But, as I said, they are entitled to do so.

finally
all this illegal site should close.

Switch!!!