By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wins 12 mil from loveroms in lawsuit

omarct said:
I have always hated copyright laws. When is the government going to step up and make copyright laws similar to patent laws which expire after a few years. No one should get in trouble for enjoying and sharing 20 year old products as long as they are not making a profit out of it.

It's not about the game being still copyrighted so much but the characters.

Mario is still an active IP, copyright, moneymaker for Nintendo. No one else can profit off of Mario without breaking copyright law, whether that be a T-shirt they designed with Mairo on it or a 20 year old game that Nintendo isn't making/selling anymore or a fanmade game like many Pokémon games. The point remains the same. Someone is profiting off of the name/image of Mario/Pokemon when that is an active copyrighted character of Nintendo's.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
BraLoD said:
Close the fucking site and call it a day, charging millions of dollars out of the onwers is just incredible greed, it won't really matter for Nintendo but can simply destroy those people lives.

They agreed to pay it, which makes one wonder how much they were profiting from the ad revenue.  You have seen the potential on YouTube before their new policy changes.

Free to download or not, they were still profiting off of Nintendo's IPs.

I guess you guys didn't read the article. Its not unusual for ppl to agree to pay a set amount verbaly but anounce a different amount on papper. The on papper amount is so that other ppl will get scared, there's no way in hell the owners of the site agreed to pay 12 million with no legal battle, they are going to pay a much much much lower amount, or maybe not even pay at all, but on paper it'll show 12 million.

Their legal right to do this so can't really give them much flak personally for it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Nintendo does own the rights to the IPs. And they have every legal right to get ROM sharing taken down. But what good does it do to sue a couple for $12 million? If they keep going after people, they will find it is a fruitless battle. If they actually had a proper and better than ever Virtual Console on Switch, piracy might decrease.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

pokoko said:
Mandalore76 said:

Are you purposely ignoring the point that someone took a shortcut in life to profit off of someone else's property and got caught?  When you use someone else's property to try and make a profit for yourself, the repercussions of getting caught are yours to deal with.  No reason to lament that.

I ignored your post because you're purposefully exaggerating in order to make an argument.  You want to have a discussion about what actually happened?  Don't exaggerate and then act like people are avoiding the point.

We aren't talking about stealing and selling cars.  If they did that, they'd be in jail on criminal charges, not in a civil lawsuit.

We aren't talking about robbing banks.  If they did that, they'd be in jail on a long list of criminal charges and likely incarcerated for a very long time.

As far as your point, I see no problem with questioning the severity of any repercussions and whether or not they fit the crime.  

I responded to an exaggeration with an exaggeration.

pokoko said:   The point is really to send a message that they are willing to destroy someone's life over this.  

Tell me exactly how Nintendo destroyed someone's life by suing a website that was illegally distributing their ip.  Because I suspect that you don't know the couple personally, their financial situation, the actual amount that will be paid in the settlement, what they will be doing in the future, etc.