By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV Director "Tabata" has left Square Enix

shikamaru317 said:

Alright, so it looks like Tabata resigned of his own volition, even before the earnings conference. Then Square cancelled the FFXV DLC's because they didn't want to do them without him as director, and then they wrote the cost of assets they had already developed for the 3 cancelled DLC's off as a $33m loss. So he didn't resign as a result of lost profit, but rather the lost profit is a result of him resigning. But the question is, why did he resign if Square didn't make him resign? It says he left for a new venture, but what venture could possibly be better than heading up a whole business division at Square Enix? Did he just decide that he can't handle the rigors of AAA development, so he left to head up a smaller AA or indie studio instead? 

Maybe he just felt burnt out on Final Fantasy. He has been doing FF15 for how long now, it's been a fairly comprehensive project.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Hynad said:

LOL!!

You mean... Sakaguchi worked to save the game as well?? 

You have such an ego. You were wrong. Admit it and move on already.

I admit, I'm right. The irrefutable biblical hard facts is in the game's credits.

I see. So Sakaguchi is also credited for having helped save FF XIV.

That logic of yours is clouded by that hardon for Tetsuya Nomura.

shikamaru317 said:

We know enough to say that Tabata's version of the game is way different from what Nomura had originally planned. Stella, who was an equal to Noctis and had the same powers as him, got replaced by Luna, who was poorly developed and died so quickly that you had no time to develop an emotional attachment to her. The Emperor of Niflheim and Verstael, the Chief Scientist of Niflheim, were originally intended to be main villains in Nomura's version, but in Tabata's version they barely show up and both die off camera. Ignis was supposed to be Noctis' military strategist in Nomura's version, but ended up basically being Noctis' butler in Tabata's version, English accent and all. The planned Insmonia invasion and subsequent escape from Insomnia by Noctis and his friends was dropped from the game entirely in favor of Noctis and his friend's already be gone on a roadtrip when the invasion happened.  We know other details from a leak, but I won't get into those here since they aren't confirmed. We also have a good idea for what Nomura had planned for the combat system, based on what we've seen of Kingdom Hearts 3, which is way different from the hold button to attack system that Tabata came up with. In my opinion at least, Tabata did botch the game, though I don't think he is entirely to blame, it is clear that Square rushed him because they got sick of waiting for the game, he basically rebuilt the game from the ground up in 3 years. 

That's not really him botching the project though he likely had to rebuild the whole project because the was little actually developed to make a game with much like with VIIR where the trailers where nothing more than tech demos and not actual games and with the management wanting the game out had to make cuts. Combat is the only real thing I agree with here the KH style approach should have been kept.

The real problem is that the project was hijacked to be turned into XV with the thinking they would get the next entry out quicker while being able to start KH3 but now they likely would have been better off just creating a new ground up project for XV and let Versus finally be developed.

Ka-pi96 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I admit, I'm right. The irrefutable biblical hard facts is in the game's credits.

hmm, I'm not sure what's funnier, your ridiculously arrogant and condescending attitude, or that you put "biblical" and "facts" in the same sentence

How about actually addressing the argument than attacking me. Otherwise grab a chair and sit down.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Hynad said:
deskpro2k3 said:

you don't even have an argument. Take a break and clear your head from that hard on you're imagining.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Hynad said:

you don't even have an argument. Take a break and clear your head from that hard on you're imagining.

No argument? 

I simply corrected you, and you can’t even take it.

vivster said:
AsGryffynn said:

You'd have to torpedo the company. 

I for one want to torpedo whoever greenlit the idea of a team of an all girl team using really dumb weapons to fight a ambiguous clone of Maleficent and the one who greenlit the idea of plot armored exoskeletons only teen girls with self-esteem issues could use. 

Your bias is showing. 

Well, yeah. Males don't belong in video games, especially with no females around. It's the right thing to do.

Look macho, The Elder Scrolls V: Manliness wants to have a word with you... 

Sin acritud! 

haxxiy said:
Isn't he the guy who basically made all the Versus XIII trailers and even the FFXV annoucement trailer a lie?

Darc Requiem said:

He's the guy that actually produced a game. Nomura spent 7 years on the and had nothing to show for it but trailers. It's crazy to me that the guy that was brought in to clean up his mess and produced a game in 3 years is gone. Good luck FFVII fans good old Nomura is in charge of the FFVII Remake. You all are about to get Duke Nukem Forever'd

This... 

And no, they're gonna get Fable'd instead... 

shikamaru317 said:
Otter said:

Botched what? Versus XIII never entered anyone outside of SEs hands. Its vapour ware, we have no idea what the game would have been like. This is all we have and its certainly not proof of anything 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8  

Y'all are bickering as if SE hasn't been in a state for much of the last 10 years of FF, clearly the problem is bigger than any one director/producer. 

We know enough to say that Tabata's version of the game is way different from what Nomura had originally planned. Stella, who was an equal to Noctis and had the same powers as him, got replaced by Luna, who was poorly developed and died so quickly that you had no time to develop an emotional attachment to her. The Emperor of Niflheim and Verstael, the Chief Scientist of Niflheim, were originally intended to be main villains in Nomura's version, but in Tabata's version they barely show up and both die off camera. Ignis was supposed to be Noctis' military strategist in Nomura's version, but ended up basically being Noctis' butler in Tabata's version, British accent and all. The planned Insmonia invasion and subsequent escape from Insomnia by Noctis and his friends was dropped from the game entirely in favor of Noctis and his friend's already be gone on a roadtrip when the invasion happened.  We know other details from a leak, but I won't get into those here since they aren't confirmed. We also have a good idea of what Nomura had planned for the combat system, based on that 2011 trailer and from what we've seen of Kingdom Hearts 3, which is way different from the hold button to attack system that Tabata came up with. In my opinion at least, Tabata did botch the game, though I don't think he is entirely to blame, it is clear that Square rushed him because they got sick of waiting for the game, he basically rebuilt the game from the ground up in 3 years. Square should have let him co-direct the game with Nomura, with Nomura's main focus being on KH3 with assistance provided to Tabata as necessary, that way development wouldn't have needed to be restarted and we would have got to see more of Nomura's original vision for the game.

Except those rumors were just well, rumors. This was never the vision Nomura had. All along, Stella was put into the same role as Luna EXCEPT on the very first trailers, when there was no plot AT ALL (and are the ones that feature a fighting Stella). The only parts that changed vastly were the pacing and the invasion of Insomnia (in fact, this was where Tabata and co hit a snag. They wouldn't be able to deliver by the end of 2016 if they tried to keep it in. 

People need to stop this "Tabata ruined Nomura's game" because there was no such thing as "Nomura's game". It was just a collection of trailers and concepts similar to Agni (which I hope is the project they are working on at Luminous Studio, since they mentioned a new AAA IP). There was no actual plot beyond "Noct and Stella are Romeo and Juliet and fight a so called dictatorship" until you realize there was no plot in between. Admittedly, the concept would've been better than a relapse back into "turning Eos into Remnant II" but hey, at least we got a bloody game and not a load of warm air. 

I think everyone is blaming the wrong people. The success and failures of this game are mostly a joint venture but if anyone caused the snowball it was Toriyama. Because he is one of the higher board members he got to make his game, FFXIII take precedent over Versus. Originally they were being made at the same time. FFXIII hit so much trouble that they started pulling Nomura's team onto it. One of the most damning things for Versus was when the already complicated process of making an engine had to turn to focus on a less complex game. Crystal tools should have been made primarily for Versus first, then XIII, that would have made the transistion simple. I swear I remember hearing that at one point Versus was ahead of XIII. Yet after FFXIII released they were left with the question on how to transition that same engine to work with a much broader game.

Nomura suffers from being too artistic and creative for his own good. I will say that. Much like Kojima..... he needs a handler to get him to scale back. I think even if the engine had not impeded him so much he might had over promised. It sucks because he kept having to be stolen away from his own projects to help with others. He is probably the most worked of all the Square Enix creators. Remember.... Square snuck in 2+ extra games into their timeline of the FF Versus XIII release. XIII-2 and Lightening Returns added to the derailment. I honestly think that once Nomura saw he was not going to be able to make the game that he promised, he no longer was up for it.

I distinctly remember leaks starting to happen the year before this console gen. They said that Square had planned to quietly scrap Versus after years of delays. Problem was....once that leak happened SquareEnix Stocks plummeted. They quickly put out a statement that the game was still in development. I think the game WAS actually cancelled, and everyone involved was ready to move on. Yet the Shareholders recognized FF Versus as the most appealing looking entity they had revealed and the hype for such a game would never just go away quietly. Many a share was bought on the premise of this game afterall. So at that time they kicked back into overdrive, but now they were given a time limit...... FF Versus XIII, now FFXV had to come out else so many deals were about to be broken.

This is where Tabata got tapped in. He was one of the only SE devs churning out his projects in a reasonable time, many of which were well received. He came in as the fixer for this game. Yet......I think some of his liberties ruined the spirit of what the game was promised to be, even with taking in consideration . Mainly....Luna. Why? One of the most appealing things of the original Versus concept was Stella, a badass Rapier wielding counterpart to Noctis. The removal of Magic was also damning and the limited level of control of the party members when they were previously stated to be uniquely playable was unfortunate.

Final Fantasy XV could have a movie written about it, it's development had so many turns.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Idea

I always thought the decision to not have more traditional magic be utilized in the game to be ridiculous. Imagine this...
Noctis' weapons have Materia-Like slot. You make element crystals similar to how you draw them from crystals now in FFXV. You equip them into weapons but only one per weapon. Using said element would imbue them just like Ignis spells do. The element strength fades the more you use it. Also map one of the buttons to use the raw element as a spell but at price of expending what is left.

This minor change would have made a world of difference for me.

EDIT!!!

Another novel idea,

Aranea should have been apart of the party, by end game. The Car should have acted more like a Passive support character, similar to the Chocobo or Rise in Persona 4. Car could have bestowed random buffs and debuffs on certain intervals.  

Last edited by forevercloud3000 - on 08 November 2018

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)