By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV Director "Tabata" has left Square Enix

deskpro2k3 said:

Both of you need to grab a chair and sit down. Don't try to divert from the hard facts.

Don't be jealous of the success of FINAL FANTASY XIV. Ya'll being petty.

Bye felicia

Lets have a moment of silence for those that spent $250 on the collectors edition. The promise of fixes to the story are gone.

I bought the collector's edition and its still very much well worth it with tons of goodies.  I dont need a moment of silence :)



Around the Network

Im not gonna lie: I didnt like his work on FF XV, so I wont say I am sad by this news.Having said that, this was kind of nowhere.Tabata was just given a team, just started working on a new game, and to cap it off, they announced all this bad stuff on the stream, canceling FF XV DLCs left and right?Something is off.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

FFXV was a big dissapointment. And yes, i don't think FFVII has aged well. The problem is the top notch single-player JRPGs have been kinda stuck compared to top notch western counterparts.



Nautilus said:
Im not gonna lie: I didnt like his work on FF XV, so I wont say I am sad by this news.Having said that, this was kind of nowhere.Tabata was just given a team, just started working on a new game, and to cap it off, they announced all this bad stuff on the stream, canceling FF XV DLCs left and right?Something is off.

My understanding is that none of this was planned when the stream was first announced last week. Yesterday, Square held an investor earnings conference call, and during it they revealed a $33m loss, Tabata resigned almost immediately afterward, and the remnants of the FFXV DLC team were quickly forced to scrap together the special announcement video where they announced that 3 of the 4 DLC were cancelled and that Tabata had left. Thing is, I hear that most of the $33m loss was due to the mobile division, not FFXV DLC development, so why did Tabata leave? He was responsible for FFXV pocket edition which might have been responsible for part of the $33m loss, but even still it seems odd. Like you said, they had only recently given him his own studio and made him head of Square Enix development division 2. There must have been more going on behind the scenes than we realize, maybe he was butting heads with Kitase and Hashimoto, who manage the FF franchise. 



 

deskpro2k3 said:
Darc Requiem said:

He's the guy that actually produced a game. Nomura spent 7 years on the and had nothing to show for it but trailers. It's crazy to me that the guy that was brought in to clean up his mess and produced a game in 3 years is gone. Good luck FFVII fans good old Nomura is in charge of the FFVII Remake. You all are about to get Duke Nukem Forever'd

false.

Nomura had to help other projects multiple times. SE made him postpone his project to help with FFXIII/FFXIII-2/Lightning Returns FFXIII, and to help save FFXIV.

Also let me remind you, FFXIV is a smashing success, and is also SE most profitable game, AND XIV's revenue pays for a lot for XV. So thanks Nomura. Wouldn't even have an FFXV without FFXIV and its devoted community.

Nomura had nothing to do with XIV. He wasn’t brought in to save it. That was, and still is, Naoki Yoshida.



Around the Network
Hynad said:

 

deskpro2k3 said:

false.

Nomura had to help other projects multiple times. SE made him postpone his project to help with FFXIII/FFXIII-2/Lightning Returns FFXIII, and to help save FFXIV.

Also let me remind you, FFXIV is a smashing success, and is also SE most profitable game, AND XIV's revenue pays for a lot for XV. So thanks Nomura. Wouldn't even have an FFXV without FFXIV and its devoted community.

Nomura had nothing to do with XIV. He wasn’t brought in to save it. That was, and still is, Naoki Yoshida.


FYI. His entire team was rerouted to help with the relaunch of FFXIV. Thus delaying his Vesus XIII project.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 08 November 2018

deskpro2k3 said:
Hynad said:

 

Nomura had nothing to do with XIV. He wasn’t brought in to save it. That was, and still is, Naoki Yoshida.

FYI. His entire team was rerouted to help with the relaunch. Thus delaying his project.

I know that all too well. But you specifically mentioned Nonura. As if you need to credit him for everything.

So FYI, Nomura and the people working under him are not the same thing.



Hynad said:
deskpro2k3 said:

FYI. His entire team was rerouted to help with the relaunch. Thus delaying his project.

I know that all too well. But you specifically mentioned Nonura. As if you need to credit him for everything.

So FYI, Nomura and the people working under him are not the same thing.

Well it was his team, so I think it's still safe



deskpro2k3 said:
Hynad said:

I know that all too well. But you specifically mentioned Nonura. As if you need to credit him for everything.

So FYI, Nomura and the people working under him are not the same thing.

Well it was his team, so I think it's still safe

Well, I will send your own word back at you:

deskpro2k3 said:

“[...] you need to grab a chair and sit down. Don't try to divert from the hard facts.”

 

Hard fact: Tetsuya Nomura did not help save Final Fantasy XIV.



The problem that now stands is where does this lead to for FF as a franchise? The series is meant to be the franchise that highlights SE's qualities but has instead for the past decade turned into a manifesto of their bizarre management and handling of projects. XV has essentially just been dropped like a contestant on America's Got Talent so I can only picture plans for XVI are being drawn up and a more efficient development process that doesn't include creating 3 different ground up engines with two of them never being used while the third becomes exclusive to one game is being discussed.