By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV Director "Tabata" has left Square Enix

that is really shocking, if we think that he already talked about his next big project...what happened?

https://t.co/REINONlutA?amp=1

To Everyone Watching the Program,

Hello, this is Tabata.

It’s almost going to be 2 whole years since the release of FFXV. I honestly believe the reason we were able to get this far is because of all you loyal fans. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Today, I have a personal announcement to make to all of you. I, Hajime Tabata, will be resigning from Luminous Productions and the Square Enix Group as of October 31, 2018.

I was able to gain so much experience with my time at Square Enix. Every title I was able to be a part of means a lot to me. However, FFXV stood out from that group as it was a special project for me which I went all-in.

Therefore, I decided to take this opportunity to officially announce my departure from FFXV to all the fans who have supported the title across the globe.

In regards to my next endeavors and near future, I have a project that I truly wish to solidify as my next challenge after FFXV. For that reason, I have decided to leave my current position and start my own business in order to achieve my goal.

As production of Episode Ardyn continues and Luminous Productions works on new projects, I felt that it was time for me to hand over the torch to the next generation group of talented and trustworthy colleagues and believe that they will create something amazing.

From this day on, I will cheer on and support Square Enix and Luminous Productions together with all you fans.

I would like to thank everyone who continue to support FFXV and those who have also supported myself personally.

Hajime Tabata

Around the Network

The FFXV stream tonight was just sad and really bad on all fronts. Not sure why they decided to go through with it and not just post PR stuff and just post the teaser for Ardyn and FFXV/XIV collab on their channel and call it a day

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I can't believe they cancelled the DLC episodes... Been really looking forward to them :(

This franchise is very stale, hopefully they dont ruin that remake or else its lights out

PwerlvlAmy said:
The FFXV stream tonight was just sad and really bad on all fronts. Not sure why they decided to go through with it and not just post PR stuff and just post the teaser for Ardyn and FFXV/XIV collab on their channel and call it a day

Yeah, it seems weird to hold a livestream if they mostly have bad news

Around the Network

Oh wow never thought he would leave SE. Sometimes I feel that all the people who direct Final Fantasy games end up traumatized lol.
I guess he'll start his own independent studio or something. Will be interesting to see what is the project he's talking about.

Just abosultely prime Square Enix.
The man responsible for actually converting Final Fantasy XV into a playable, respectable product is gone, and the one responsible for it's shitshow of a development is left to create a shitshow of the next big Final Fantasy project. And most the DLC that was teased to put a proper finish to the game is now canned, adding to a long list of things promised and not delivered.

Most recent news on Final Fantasy 7 Remake btw:
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/nomura-various-developments-being-considered-to-accompany-final-fantasy-vii-remake
"Nomura responded, “Not everyone may know this, but I’m remaking Final Fantasy VII… (laughs)."

Great to know development is pacing well, as usual.

Shaunodon said:

Just abosultely prime Square Enix.
The man responsible for actually converting Final Fantasy XV into a playable, respectable product is gone, and the one responsible for it's shitshow of a development is left to create a shitshow of the next big Final Fantasy project. And most the DLC that was teased to put a proper finish to the game is now canned, adding to a long list of things promised and not delivered.

Most recent news on Final Fantasy 7 Remake btw:
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/nomura-various-developments-being-considered-to-accompany-final-fantasy-vii-remake
"Nomura responded, “Not everyone may know this, but I’m remaking Final Fantasy VII… (laughs)."

Great to know development is pacing well, as usual.

You must be a pretty recent fan of the franchise...

Good. Can we also fire whoever greenlit the idea of a boy only road trip?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I am actually glad he did. Not because I didn't like him though, but because I feel he was putting himself at risk of burning out. Hopefully before the personal project happens, he will take a Gap Year to rest.