By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV Director "Tabata" has left Square Enix

shikamaru317 said:
Shaunodon said:

If Nomura were allowed to continue pushing FFXV around in development hell, most likely outcome is we'd still be sitting here waiting for his vision to become a playable game, with just a greater collection of trailers and maybe a prologue disc.

I'm doubtful of that. People hold those first 4 years (2006-2010) against Nomura, but you can't really do that, Square had him working on multiple other games during that timeframe (including directing all of the KH handheld games) and they were also waiting on technology to catch up to his plan for the game. Fact is, by 2010 he had finished the story and character designs, and by the time the 2011 trailer released the game was finally in active development and 25% completed with a scheduled release on PS3 in 2014.  We would have long since already gotten Nomura's Versus 13 had Yoichi Wada not made the decision to turn it into 15 and restart development for PS4/XB1. Now, the main difference is, Nomura's 13 was seemingly intended to have sequels, so we might still be waiting on the 2nd game in the series, since KH3 probably would have been prioritized first. 

The fact that you have to rely on all these bits of hearsay and empty assurances that they had a plan, doesn't help convince me they were actually going anywhere. Really only hammers home the point, and helps me understand why Square Enix felt they had no choice but to hand it to a different lead and team.
If Nomura cared enough and actually had a clue where he was going with the project, he probably could've convinced them otherwise. But someone who bursts into work one morning with an epiphany of turning their JRPG into a musical, probably doesn't lend much hope to investors.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
AsGryffynn said:

Except that the story he finished was mostly what we were shown. Nothing Nomura made diverged significantly save at the start. The only differences were the insertion of the Oracle role and the growth in Ardyn's role which was originally an Emperor thing. Well, there was also Lupus, but Lupus was no different to Ravus in anything excepting design. 

Not sure where you're getting that from. Tabata himself said that they cut alot, he insinuated that Versus 13 was originally supposed to have sequels, so he had to cut alot of planned story elements in order to condense the story of of multiple games into a single game. We know that he cut Stella, we know that he cut the Invasion of Insomnia, we know that main villain roles changed almost entirely with Iedolas and Verstael having much bigger roles originally, we know that references to the Godess Etro and Noctis' ability to see the light of expiring souls were cut, we know that Versus 13 was designed to be much darker than 15 ended up being. 

And that's just story, we know that Tabata made alot of gameplay changes as well.

Look, I liked FFXV, it wasn't a great game, it had rushed writing, poor combat, and a number of other issues, but it was still a fairly fun experience overall, I gave it an 8/10. But you can't blame me and others like me who followed Versus 13 right from it's 2006 announce for mourning the loss of Nomura's version. Could it have ended up being worse? Sure. But it might have been alot better as well. Fact is we will never know. All we can do is dream. 

He did. The Invasion of Insomnia, playable parts of Stella/Luna's trip, an entire dungeon within the Dream World Noctis visited, a dungeon in the World of Darkness as well... The sequels were the only thing Nomura envisioned out of the game, and those sequels were undeveloped, especially story-wise. Almost everything he cut was just more content to make the world a little less sparse, and that ran into the good old problem all Nomura games had: running out of time. Iedolas and Verstael's roles were essentially becoming bosses and leading an invasion/military campaign. This was condensed into Kingsglaive and the Ramuh raid... The references to the light alluded to their current role as the ones who would end the Starscourge and tied in to Ardyn's immortality. The summons weren't there. Worse carnage, bloodshed and a more "total war" tone were the main reason for the game having been darker back then, but the central plot had always been the friends going around and trying to get the Crystal back to protect Insomnia from the daemons. 

There was no "vision". That's the problem. People have to accept they would've gotten a more complete product, but our game wouldn't have been different. FF Type-0 for Xbox is still the same Type 0 you got for PSP, but with better graphics and extra stuff. 

But no, this needs to stop. There wasn't "more" to this sort of shite. 

Damn, this is an actual mod that went live...

https://kotaku.com/the-death-of-final-fantasy-xv-dlc-memorialized-in-mod-1830376736?fbclid=IwAR35WLBBDwKEwuBHTPTA0xR-90NoqGirMO_KPU-e2FnELCeilYNXQTkSlAg

Shaunodon said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm doubtful of that. People hold those first 4 years (2006-2010) against Nomura, but you can't really do that, Square had him working on multiple other games during that timeframe (including directing all of the KH handheld games) and they were also waiting on technology to catch up to his plan for the game. Fact is, by 2010 he had finished the story and character designs, and by the time the 2011 trailer released the game was finally in active development and 25% completed with a scheduled release on PS3 in 2014.  We would have long since already gotten Nomura's Versus 13 had Yoichi Wada not made the decision to turn it into 15 and restart development for PS4/XB1. Now, the main difference is, Nomura's 13 was seemingly intended to have sequels, so we might still be waiting on the 2nd game in the series, since KH3 probably would have been prioritized first. 

The fact that you have to rely on all these bits of hearsay and empty assurances that they had a plan, doesn't help convince me they were actually going anywhere. Really only hammers home the point, and helps me understand why Square Enix felt they had no choice but to hand it to a different lead and team.
If Nomura cared enough and actually had a clue where he was going with the project, he probably could've convinced them otherwise. But someone who bursts into work one morning with an epiphany of turning their JRPG into a musical, probably doesn't lend much hope to investors.

Its common knowledge that nomura versus teams were assigned by SE on main line XIII entries during PS3 era. As Versus 13 was not the mainline entry and was too dark and voilent to be a mainline entry hence he was asked to brighten up the game so it could get a wider release, hence it was during this time Nomura floated the idea of making XV a musical as the concept was heavily inspired by Shakespear Romeo and juliet, but the idea was quickly shot down by his team and SE, In process of making it less dark Nomura pitched various stage reboots which would have set them back even further, Hence SE made tabata the incharge.. the only thing Tabata did was cut down the story to make a shorter narrative for a single game, in process ruining the game.

So only if SE didn't force Versus on to main line entry we would have had nomura's game in the same year as tabata and preparing for the sequel.

So as some one who hasn't played FF ever, this seems like a big loss for Square.

Cause from what I've seen and read, here's my understanding of what the situation of FF15 was:
1) Other director had his head up his ass, taking like 10 years to finish the game, resulting in the game going in dev hell (?)
2) Tabata came in and turned things around, actually managing to put out a good final product.

So if that's indeed true, that's a big loss for Square.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
So as some one who hasn't played FF ever, this seems like a big loss for Square.

Cause from what I've seen and read, here's my understanding of what the situation of FF15 was:
1) Other director had his head up his ass, taking like 10 years to finish the game, resulting in the game going in dev hell (?)
2) Tabata came in and turned things around, actually managing to put out a good final product.

BasilZero said:
flashfire926 said:

No idea what happened with Nomura and FF vs XIII/FFXV but he's pretty much done with KH3 which is coming out next month.

I think there's some backstage politics playing in the background that made the development for FFvsXIII/FFXV to go to hell for a couple of years.

Regardless, Tabata leaving is a big loss because it pretty much spelled the end for any future developments for FFXV at least in the light of new content and of course this means the FF Type series is pretty much dead since Tabata made the Type series.

Tetsuya Nomura and his team was pulled away from FFvXIII multiple times to help with FFXIII-2, FFXIII-Lightning Returns, KH handheld games, and for saving FFXIV, through the direction of Yoichi Wada. Saving FFXIV was a bigger concern for SE in 2010 because its original launch damaged SE reputation.
Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 01 December 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5