By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Democrats Went from Opposing Illegal Immigration to Supporting it.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Not surprised, Democrats have changed completely just in my lifetime, almost doing a 180 in many respects. The party that was once completely anti-racism, anti-war, pro working class, pro free speech, free love, etc. has mutated into this fear mongering, xenophobic (Russia), identity politic obsessed, divisive, pro-censorship, puritanical, and hateful group of people just in the last 15 or so years. I know I'm generalizing but those are the people that dominate the political conversation within the party at least.

Kucinich is about the last one I somewhat respect.

How is not liking Russia xenophobic? If Russians want to start moving to the us no one on the left cares but it's not xenophobic to think they're a shitty borderline fascist country where gay people are forced to live in hiding and journalist have a tendency to disappear. The fact that their boots are all over Twitter is just 1 of many reasons to not like the government, policies or political leaders of Russia 

Around the Network

I consider myself to be democratic, at least more than I consider myself to be republican, and I in no way support illegal immigration. Immigrants need to go through the proper procedures in order to become legal citizens, or they need to leave the country.

Yerm said:
I consider myself to be democratic, at least more than I consider myself to be republican, and I in no way support illegal immigration. Immigrants need to go through the proper procedures in order to become legal citizens, or they need to leave the country.

I think that's how most Democrats feel, problem is the process for both legal immigration and asylum have gotten longer under trump. Illegal immigration is bad but if the wait period can be a year or longer what do people expect to happen when people are trying to escape violence or poverty

Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

Illegal immigrants can vote?

Immigrants when/if they can vote, or the next generation tend to vote democrat. It also encourages people to vote democrat because it creates fear about throwing out illegals who have settled into the country.

There are certainly scenarios where illegals immigrants have voted illegally and they support democrats. That's is why there has been debate about voter IDs. Some cities are actually allowing illegals to vote in local elections, which means they're shaping communities in such a way only citizens should but its ignored because they support left wing causes.

Estimates say there are about 20 million illegals in the country, that's more people than most countries even have. Democrats don't much care though because its their base and want them treated the same as citizens. Most illegals are latin and helps them with that demo. Basically the way we handle immigration is antithetical to every other developed country.

So what you are saying is that the statement from the OP is incorrect, because it should refer to legal immigrant or children born in the US that has the right to vote? So why is illegal immigration an issue here at all? 

I completely agree about voter ID being a requirement and every citizen should be in the voter rolls, you shouldn't have to register in order to be elgible to vote. But it would also be interesting to get some facts behind your statement about illegal immigrants being granted right to vote in local election. I'm not saying it's incorrect, just where that information comes from.

collint0101 said:
Yerm said:

I think that's how most Democrats feel, problem is the process for both legal immigration and asylum have gotten longer under trump. Illegal immigration is bad but if the wait period can be a year or longer what do people expect to happen when people are trying to escape violence or poverty

The thing is, you completely ignore that there are other families from different countries aside of those from South America that have applied for such. Not sure about asylum seekers but there is a quota for immigrant visas. That's one of the things that pushed the processing of our immigrant visa application to 10 years. Not to mention the processing for these can bounce from a different application year to another. At one point, Our application was around Oct 2007. We got called for an interview around 2009 IIRC. From that point, we were held off because of changes in the document requirements. We tried to accomplish them but the immigrant processing date changed to something in 2005. So what that means is that there are still others who have applied at an earlier date and have not been fully processed.

Now regarding the case of the march to the border that's currently happening. It's going to be a fucking nightmare for these guys. You can't expect to just get ahead of those who are already lined up. That's what the general public should know. It's not that easy to control it but you should NOT open the gates just because of that.

I mean Trump does love to exaggerate but let's say for example that there is a small percentage of asylum seekers who are allowed to go through who are actually troublemakers. It adds more risk to the citizens inside the country.

One of the best tragic examples of uncontrolled immigration is Sweden. They let a lot of people in. There were not enough proper program for the migrants to transition. They don't have enough jobs. They don't have proper housing. A lot of the migrants were out on the streets. I had a friend there who was mugged by a migrant. He had to move to a different place because of how dangerous his old town became. Now, with the tone of the democrats, they want to do the same thing. Just let people in without due process expecting a Hail Mary solution to get these migrants stable.

It's easy for people to point fingers and demonize other people but when it comes down to it, it really is not that simple. For my case, I had extensive exposure to the English language(even though I still don't speak it flawlessly) and the American culture. It was easier for me to transition. However that is not to say I did not encounter problems adjusting. For those who did not have the blessing I had, it's going to be 10 times harder for them to adjust. It's not going to be any easier psychologically once they're inside. It's a whole different battle. Once that honeymoon phase is over, you'll see that your expectations can be far from how you expected them to be.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 04 November 2018

Around the Network
iron_megalith said:
collint0101 said:

The thing is, you completely ignore that there are other families from different countries aside of those from South America that have applied for such. Not sure about asylum seekers but there is a quota for immigrant visas. That's one of the things that pushed the processing of our immigrant visa application to 10 years. Not to mention the processing for these can bounce from a different application year to another. At one point, Our application was around Oct 2007. We got called for an interview around 2009 IIRC. From that point, we were held off because of changes in the document requirements. We tried to accomplish them but the immigrant processing date changed to something in 2005. So what that means is that there are still others who have applied at an earlier date and have not been fully processed.

Now regarding the case of the march to the border that's currently happening. It's going to be a fucking nightmare for these guys. You can't expect to just get ahead of those who are already lined up. That's what the general public should know. It's not that easy to control it but you should NOT open the gates just because of that.

I mean Trump does love to exaggerate but let's say for example that there is a small percentage of asylum seekers who are allowed to go through who are actually troublemakers. It adds more risk to the citizens inside the country.

One of the best tragic examples of uncontrolled immigration is Sweden. They let a lot of people in. There were not enough proper program for the migrants to transition. They don't have enough jobs. They don't have proper housing. A lot of the migrants were out on the streets. I had a friend there who was mugged by a migrant. He had to move to a different place because of how dangerous his old town became. Now, with the tone of the democrats, they want to do the same thing. Just let people in without due process expecting a Hail Mary solution to get these migrants stable.

It's easy for people to point fingers and demonize other people but when it comes down to it, it really is not that simple. For my case, I had extensive exposure to the English language(even though I still don't speak it flawlessly) and the American culture. It was easier for me to transition. However that is not to say I did not encounter problems adjusting. For those who did not have the blessing I had, it's going to be 10 times harder for them to adjust. It's not going to be any easier psychologically once they're inside. It's a whole different battle. Once that honeymoon phase is over, you'll see that your expectations can be far from how you expected them to be.

What you described is a prime example of a flaw within our immigration system. The process should simply never be that complicated or time consuming and while your experience sounds like something that doesn't happen to everyone the best case scenario can still take well over 6 months. That's my problem with the way republicans handle this, they claim to be pro legal immigration buey do nothing to fix the problems that already exist within the system and in some cases even make it worse. The Democrats share some blame considering that we didn't leave the Obama era with a flawless immigration system but the people in charge right now are too busy fear mongering to truly change how we do things 

You should be happy about illegal immigration since it refreshes the genepool in your bible belt.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Trump's rally of closing the borders, building the wall and taking back the country will ensure he gets re-elected as President in 2020 and the upcoming mid-terms will be close. Only a Republican vote will close the borders, build the wall and secure the country.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

Only a Republican vote will close the borders, build the wall and secure the country.

And as history proves, building a wall around its country worked so well for the GDR.....

they did this with jewish people fleeing progroms in russia... go look it up

immigrants are far more likely to vote for leftist causes like wealth redistribution since obviously they are not as economically well off