By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - It's official: Sony plans to butcher Carnage next, confirms it will be PG-13

Replicant said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Sony really should stop making movies. I'm just saying this as someone who is biased though,every movie ive seen that they have churned out has been atrocious. Sony king of gaming, toilet of movies :(

we'll wait and see though, gotta see the first screenshots and first trailer.

Sure, Spider-Man Homecoming and Jumanji were quite generic but what Hollywood blockbusters aren't?

If you look past the blockbusters though, Sony produces and co-produces some enjoyable movies.

Of the ones I've seen in 2017/2018:
T2 Trainspotting
Life
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Only the Brave
The Wife
All the Money in the World
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
The Equalizer 2
Alpha

Can't you just.. you know not see their movies? Why do they have to leave the industry?

Shhhhhhhh! Don't dare you bring in common sense in the Sony Studios bashing bandwagon! Its not like we even care that they have the Sony Classics branch, do we?

While I do agree that the blockbuster attempts of the studio failed in the last couple of years, they are very strong in the art-house department. 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Fox are doing well with their R rated Deadpool, Venom could be Sony's but they can't do that if they don't let the most R rated character in Marvel be R rated.

Hmm, pie.

hunter_alien said:
Replicant said:

Sure, Spider-Man Homecoming and Jumanji were quite generic but what Hollywood blockbusters aren't?

If you look past the blockbusters though, Sony produces and co-produces some enjoyable movies.

T2 Trainspotting
Life
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Only the Brave
The Wife
The Equalizer 2
Alpha

Can't you just.. you know not see their movies? Why do they have to leave the industry?

Shhhhhhhh! Don't dare you bring in common sense in the Sony Studios bashing bandwagon! Its not like we even care that they have the Sony Classics branch, do we?

While I do agree that the blockbuster attempts of the studio failed in the last couple of years, they are very strong in the art-house department. 

Their original films are good-to-great for the most part, it's their adapted properties they fuck up. 

hunter_alien said:
Replicant said:

T2 Trainspotting
Life
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Only the Brave
The Wife
The Equalizer 2
Alpha

Bold: Exactly. I see why people would want a gory Carnage movie but saying that Sony should leave the industry is such a knee jerk reaction.

Aggregating Box Office Mojo's data since 2001, total Oscar wins by studio are:

1. Fox + Fox Searchlight - 50
2. Sony Columbia + Sony Classics - 36
3. Warner Brothers + New Line Cinema (bought in 2008) - 32
4. Buena Vista + Walt Disney + Pixar - 30
5. Paramount + Paramount Vantage + DreamWorks (owned in 2006-2008) - 29
6. Miramax - 23
7. Universal + Focus Features (bought in 2016) - 22
8. Lionsgate - 20
9. Lantern Entertainment (former Weinstein Company) - 19

Edit: This year, movies by Sony Columbia and Sony Classics have 11 Oscar nominations.

Last edited by Replicant - on 19 October 2018

So...what exactly would be the great gain of having an R rated Carnage movie? What's the gain from having an onscreen character that's simply a red blob that's eviscerating people? Haven't we had a Thing remake already and more than enough bad Alien films?

I liked Venom. It was different than I expected but a damn good time at the cinema for myself and the missus. I'm looking forward to Carnage as long as they ignore the worse abuses of the comics that feature him.

Around the Network

"When you hear Carnage, the only thing you can think of is R. But, if you know his story, if you really know the comic, there’s no R here. He’s a tortured soul. It’s not about what he does, because we never have to show the knife going from here to there, and the blood is pouring. What you have to show is, what is the motivation? Was he born like that, or [is he] someone we should feel for, because if you succeeding in making a villain someone you can feel for, jackpot.”

I'm going to let Carnage explain his character for me, using quotes from his appearances in the 90's.

But isn't that what you want to hear, Doctor? That I was a poor, abused child? That my mother beat me? My father molested me? That I was tortured and hung by my ankles above a pit of broken glass? Well, maybe that's all true. Or maybe... I'm just the inevitable aberration. The soul that's born so black, so twisted, so filled with unreasoning hatred... that there's no explanation. You can't make me sane, Doctor. You can't hope to redeem me. All you can do is kill me. Because, if you don't—I'll break out of here. You have my word on that. And the blood—the glorious blood—will flow like wine!"

"I am the ultimate insanity! I am CARNAGE!"

"My name is Cletus Kasady and I kill people and I LOVE it. I know nine million ways to kill a body and I love every ONE of them. All dull day every day right up until I hit the hay I think of bodies bodies slit right up the middle and shared across a hundred nice little gardens. And when I sleep I dream of ways to kill a body that ain't nobody thought of yet. And occasionally I dream of mom and pop squirting into that old garbage disposal and just grinding and gnawing on the old man's skull."

"You're probably asking... WHY do I kill... well, simple answer. It's PRETTY. Waking up in the morning and knowing you're going to kill someone... it's a BEAUTIFUL THING. Makes me feel like a GUNSHIP, like my engine's only turning over when I'm MOVING and KILLING. Makes me feel like God on the first monday morning."

"I AM those kids burning dogs and hobos in the dark alleyway. The woman cutting a hole in the tied-to-bed Mr. Goodbar and inserting a vacuum cleaner tube in his stomach. The wife shoving broken glass down the husbands throat. I'm the American flag on fire, the Founding Fathers crucified for a chat show, lies, cursed lies and government. I'm the end of the world as we know it and I feel like a DRINK. I'm CHAOS. CHAOS and the rest of the world won't ADMIT that it's JUST LIKE ME. And because o' THAT the world is WORTHLESS, it's dirt on my HEEL. Love means NOTHING. It's a planet of mannequins filled with blood and they may as well be torn up and burst and stamped on because what ELSE are they good for?"

This is not a PG-13 kind of guy.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

"When you hear Carnage, the only thing you can think of is R. But, if you know his story, if you really know the comic, there’s no R here. He’s a tortured soul. It’s not about what he does, because we never have to show the knife going from here to there, and the blood is pouring. What you have to show is, what is the motivation? Was he born like that, or [is he] someone we should feel for, because if you succeeding in making a villain someone you can feel for, jackpot.”

I'm going to let Carnage explain his character for me, using quotes from his appearances in the 90's.

But isn't that what you want to hear, Doctor? That I was a poor, abused child? That my mother beat me? My father molested me? That I was tortured and hung by my ankles above a pit of broken glass? Well, maybe that's all true. Or maybe... I'm just the inevitable aberration. The soul that's born so black, so twisted, so filled with unreasoning hatred... that there's no explanation. You can't make me sane, Doctor. You can't hope to redeem me. All you can do is kill me. Because, if you don't—I'll break out of here. You have my word on that. And the blood—the glorious blood—will flow like wine!"

"I am the ultimate insanity! I am CARNAGE!"

"My name is Cletus Kasady and I kill people and I LOVE it. I know nine million ways to kill a body and I love every ONE of them. All dull day every day right up until I hit the hay I think of bodies bodies slit right up the middle and shared across a hundred nice little gardens. And when I sleep I dream of ways to kill a body that ain't nobody thought of yet. And occasionally I dream of mom and pop squirting into that old garbage disposal and just grinding and gnawing on the old man's skull."

"You're probably asking... WHY do I kill... well, simple answer. It's PRETTY. Waking up in the morning and knowing you're going to kill someone... it's a BEAUTIFUL THING. Makes me feel like a GUNSHIP, like my engine's only turning over when I'm MOVING and KILLING. Makes me feel like God on the first monday morning."

"I AM those kids burning dogs and hobos in the dark alleyway. The woman cutting a hole in the tied-to-bed Mr. Goodbar and inserting a vacuum cleaner tube in his stomach. The wife shoving broken glass down the husbands throat. I'm the American flag on fire, the Founding Fathers crucified for a chat show, lies, cursed lies and government. I'm the end of the world as we know it and I feel like a DRINK. I'm CHAOS. CHAOS and the rest of the world won't ADMIT that it's JUST LIKE ME. And because o' THAT the world is WORTHLESS, it's dirt on my HEEL. Love means NOTHING. It's a planet of mannequins filled with blood and they may as well be torn up and burst and stamped on because what ELSE are they good for?"

This is not a PG-13 kind of guy.

IKR? He's, like, the least suitable character for a PG-13.

Replicant said:
hunter_alien said:

Bold: Exactly. I see why people would want a gory Carnage movie but saying that Sony should leave the industry is such a knee jerk reaction.

Aggregating Box Office Mojo's data since 2001, total Oscar wins by studio are:

1. Fox + Fox Searchlight - 50
2. Sony Columbia + Sony Classics - 36
3. Warner Brothers + New Line Cinema (bought in 2008) - 32
4. Buena Vista + Walt Disney + Pixar - 30
5. Paramount + Paramount Vantage + DreamWorks (owned in 2006-2008) - 29
6. Miramax - 23
7. Universal + Focus Features (bought in 2016) - 22
8. Lionsgate - 20
9. Lantern Entertainment (former Weinstein Company) - 19

Edit: This year, movies by Sony Columbia and Sony Classics have 11 Oscar nominations.

Damn... the shocking thing for me is just how dominant Fox seems to be Nice catch

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Replicant said:
KManX89 said:

IKR? Can't wait to see Carnage stab push people and decapitate push people and maybe if we're lucky, we'll get to see a really gruesome scene of Carnage ripping someone in half and then devouring them pushing someone.

He's wrong BTW, Marvel/Disney already said they'll let Deadpool remain R-rated in the MCU (the way it should be) and they have R-rated Netflix shows for Punisher and DareDevil.  Not only that, but Wesley Snipes is in talks of bringing Blade to the big screen for phase 4 with TWO potential projects and there's no way in hell he'll agree to any less than the R rated goriness the series is known for, so they've already proven to be more trustworthy with handling ADULT properties than Sony. Nice try, though. 

Seriously, this is worse than the trash bag-wearing poor man's Imhotep Dr. Doom in Fant4shit in terms of character bastardization, and believe me, that's saying a lot.

Meh.. According to VGC users, Venom was enjoyable in spite of being PG-13.

You mean the same Venom movie where all the villain (Riot) did was push people away with his axe hands (and that's literally all he did)? Because that won't work with Carnage, sorry, it won't. He's SUPPOSED to viciously maim, slaughter and rip people to shreds, it's part of his character. Remember, he (Cletus Kasidy) was a mass-murdering lunatic BEFORE he got the Carnage symbiote (which is more powerful and sadistic than Eddie's Venom symbiote BTW), afterwards? Well, you connect the dots.

Avi Arad should be fired for saying that shit, he's the EPITOME of R-rated. Hell, Logan should've been PG-13 before a Carnage movie.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 26 October 2018

KManX89 said:

Well, folks, time to get out them pitchforks, it looks like every Marvel fan's worst fears are coming true: Sony apparently intends to move forward with a kiddified (read: butchered), watered-down PG-13 Carnage sequel after all the backlash from Venom's PG-13 rating despite the fact that it makes about as much sense as a Teen-rated Deadpool or Punisher game: not at all. 

You read that right: Carnage, the character notorious for slicing people into a half dozen pieces and ripping people's guts out for fun, will apparently be PG-13.

Oh, but it doesn't end there, folks, wait til you hear the bullshit PR spinjob behind this move from the producer's own lips!

Nope no R here whatsoever :

But no need to SHOW a violent alien substance-fused serial killer in all his menacing glory! Instead, we should SYMPATHIZE with a mass-murdering, crazed lunatic who relentlessly maims people for his own sick pleasure, that's what's important!

So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen: Avi Arad once again proving he's a hack who doesn't know the character, the comics or basic storytelling. The most unkid-friendly Marvel character ever is in great hands!

Sony, please just stick to gaming and original films and leave Spider-Man films to a studio who actually knows what they're doing. You've proven time and time again you don't know how to handle properties not your own and are once again showing it here. There's no fucking way CARNAGE will work with anything less than an R, sorry, there isn't. If you thought PG-13 Venom was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. /endrant

Well, I've seem, at least in Brazil a lot of claims to sympathize with homicides and serial killers as they are victims of society. So we can put this garbage on the same toilet as Ghost Buster... I foresee claims of some hatred from extreme right as the cause for the movie downfall.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."