By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 40 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - October 1-7, 2018

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This is interesting. You've said that third parties don't sell that well on Switch in Japan, and that indies aren't as much of a phenomena there either. So does that mean that most adults in Japan who play games are almost exclusively playing Nintendo titles like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart? I mean obviously looking at the sales of these titles which are considerably high for Japan, a lot of them have to be adults. But I kind of figured a decent amount of the PS4 software/hardware sales were adults too. That would make the Japanese Adult Gaming diet even more different from the West than I alrrady imagined, if it was almost exclusively Nintendo and mobilr games. 

I said that third party games that have been tailored to the PlayStation audience aren't selling great on Switch. On this week's charts there is the umpteenth Warriors game and yet another Mega Man game; the former shows a large discrepancy between PS4 and Switch, the latter does not.

Nothing here means that most adults are almost exclusively playing Nintendo titles. You have to remember that Switch was expected to fail by third parties, so most of them have yet to bring their A game to the platform. Of course Nintendo titles dominate the early going, because customers put their money towards the best games. Third parties' share of total Switch software sales will increase once they get going, just like in the past for every Nintendo handheld. For the last four Nintendo home consoles it didn't hold true, because third parties couldn't be bothered to properly support the systems in the first place. By now it should be easy enough to tell that Switch will follow the trajectory of a Nintendo handheld, so there's no reason to worry.

Sales expectations need to be kept in check though. If somebody expects Splatoon and Mario Kart numbers from third party games, then they should check Japanese sales data. There aren't many third party IPs that have sold 1m+ copies in the last 35 years and there aren't even all that many that surpass 500k units. What you'll see once third parties get their games on Switch is that the thresholds of 100k, 200k and 300k will be passed quite frequently. Currently there are only few that have already passed 100k, but there have only been few where it could be realistically expected that they'll get there. It's like I always say, games that do not exist cannot sell.

Just to be clear I wasn't trying to say that third parties should or would sell 1+ million on Switch in Japan. that's ridiculous. I was just asking what adults in Japan play on Switch, and you cleared that up (sort of). 

Around the Network
0D0 said:
Jranation said:

Why you sound surprised about that? They finally remove the car so lots of people are interested again.

I haven't seen much enthusiasm about Mario Party on Wii U/3DS days.

What do you mean by 'remove the car'?

Since MP9 all 4 players have to travel in a car on a linear map. Lots of people hate it. Now they removed it, lots of people are happy again. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Mbolibombo said:
jonathanalis said:
Switch really dropping the ball.

I think you need to elaborate here, it's by far the best selling console in the country and it's up compared to last year?

Not sure what you were expecting SMP to do to hardware?

Well, is more about the general context, using the small sampling of japan and generalizing. I expected a 33% increase from lastl year, since it sold 15 million in 17 and is projected to sell 20 million this year. 

After a poor Q1, we had to see near to a 4 million Q2, 10 million Q3 and 4 million Q4 to keep up with the projections. 

So, we could expect a steady increase through Q1 to Q2 and Q2 to Q3. But Japan, after a steady season of 50+ weeks and with no major titles, started to sell in the 40s. 

So, it have been dropping the ball compared to itself from 2 month ago, when it was expected to increase instead. 

jonathanalis said:
Mbolibombo said:

I think you need to elaborate here, it's by far the best selling console in the country and it's up compared to last year?

Not sure what you were expecting SMP to do to hardware?

Well, is more about the general context, using the small sampling of japan and generalizing. I expected a 33% increase from lastl year, since it sold 15 million in 17 and is projected to sell 20 million this year. 

After a poor Q1, we had to see near to a 4 million Q2, 10 million Q3 and 4 million Q4 to keep up with the projections. 

So, we could expect a steady increase through Q1 to Q2 and Q2 to Q3. But Japan, after a steady season of 50+ weeks and with no major titles, started to sell in the 40s. 

So, it have been dropping the ball compared to itself from 2 month ago, when it was expected to increase instead. 

Ok not strictly talking about Japan I see.

I think going forward 3.5-4M for Q2, 10-11M for Q3 and 4-5 for Q1 are still viable to reach the 20M goal. Not expecting week 1 of Q3 in Japan to tell the entire story. But  if we do go by that It did increase ~20% compared to last year and extrapolated for the entire quarter across the globe that would be a shipment of about 8.6M in total. So not up to par yet, but the games that are supposed to drive sales are stll 1-2 months away. I wouldnt worry just yet, especially since October in terms of Japanese sales are among the slowest on the year. It's going to be even more up YoY the next few weeks before SMO released  but this years November and December releases wipes the board with 2017.

Not really worried yet, in fact I'm still confident in reaching the 20M goal for the fiscal year.

Mbolibombo said:

jonathanalis said:

I think going forward 3.5-4M for Q2...

Not really worried yet, in fact I'm still confident in reaching the 20M goal for the fiscal year.

Where is the confidence coming from for 3.5 - 4M in Q2? The average from July through September here on VGchartz for the Switch is right around 200k/week. That's 2.6M over 13 weeks for a quarter, obviously a rough estimate but pretty far from 3.5 - 4M. Is there some reason you think shipments will be that much higher than sales or do you think VGchartz is dramatically off from its Switch hardware estimates?

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Mbolibombo said:

Where is the confidence coming from for 3.5 - 4M in Q2? The average from July through September here on VGchartz for the Switch is right around 200k/week. That's 2.6M over 13 weeks for a quarter, obviously a rough estimate but pretty far from 3.5 - 4M. Is there some reason you think shipments will be that much higher than sales or do you think VGchartz is dramatically off from its Switch hardware estimates?

It's shipment reported and not sell through so naturally there's going to be a lot more units both being shipped and on shelves. So assuming the VGChartz ends up being true and it sold through 2.6M there's maybe another 400K on the shelves across the world and early October shipments of bundles (looking at you Fortnite bundle especially) which certainly shipped before the Quarter ended should  add a substantial. 4M might be a bit too positive but I definately think 3.5+ is reasonable

Megiddo said:
Mbolibombo said:

Ya I'm thinking ~3 million seems more plausible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

padib said:
What exactly does "Including included version" mean?

Probably a weird translation for saying all versions included.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

padib said:
zorg1000 said:

Probably a weird translation for saying all versions included.

Maybe including bundled version or something like that.

Ya that would make sense.

Megiddo said:
If anything has been proven thus far, it's that Playstation will maintain the high budget 3rd party Japanese titles since those rely on a western audience. The low budget visual novels or smaller games don't really have much to hold onto the Playstation brand anymore. Those will head to the Switch or Steam/PC or both. How much value do low budget titles have for Sony? None of them were ever that big of a factor to any of their success. After all the Vita was the king of low budget otaku stuff and visual novels and it was a complete disaster in Japan and outside of it. So unless a big IP like Persona or Neptunia decides to skip Playstation (which ain't gonna happen since those are western title successes as well) it really doesn't mean much. Is Sony going to mourn the loss of Wand of Fortune R2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue which sold 2.5k units this week? I doubt it.

That right there is Nintendo level arrogance. We don't need your game! I hope Sony doesn't share your view, it can backfire as it did backfire for Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]