By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 40 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - October 1-7, 2018

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Kerotan said:
Decent AC debut. Super hyped for next week's chart. Bo4 releases and the ps4 Pro gets its price drop. I'm surprised the amount of people who have over looked that fact in here. It didn't just drop for no reason.

The big news this week is xbox 100k.

Would be true if only the Pro numbers tanked, but the base PS4 numbers went down, too. I think sales numbers would only have been 2-3k higher without the announcement.

But some base ps4 buyers might have decided to hold off and buy the pro. As the gap is going to be closer between the prices from tomorrow. 

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

You better hope this is true, because if the price cut doesn't move it up, it is not going to be getting to the 10m mark as easy as some are making it out to be.

What are the consequences of the PS4 not hitting 10 million?  Is Sony going to lose all Japanese 3rd party support? Lol!  There is no hoping I need to do. 

Consequences? I was sure that some here were anxious to see it hit 10 million, as it was related to the performance of its predecessor. I can kind of see why people care, cause it would be a sign of the PS brand losing market (and mind)share in Japan. That should worry you, since Japan is very important not just because it is the home country of the company it comes from, but the home country of many Japanese developers. And i'm not saying it will lose all Japanese 3rd party support, but it would get less of them.

OTBWY said:
Train wreck said:

What are the consequences of the PS4 not hitting 10 million?  Is Sony going to lose all Japanese 3rd party support? Lol!  There is no hoping I need to do. 

Consequences? I was sure that some here were anxious to see it hit 10 million, as it was related to the performance of its predecessor. I can kind of see why people care, cause it would be a sign of the PS brand losing market (and mind)share in Japan. That should worry you, since Japan is very important not just because it is the home country of the company it comes from, but the home country of many Japanese developers. And i'm not saying it will lose all Japanese 3rd party support, but it would get less of them.

PlayStation is doomed folks!

Replicant said:
OTBWY said:

Ah Replicant, Getting defensive over Playstation for nothing again.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

You better hope this is true, because if the price cut doesn't move it up, it is not going to be getting to the 10m mark as easy as some are making it out to be.

I'm pretty sure OTBWY is referring to users who have been predicting and speculating that the Playstation 4 can outsell the Playstation 3 in Japan. A few users have done this, mainly Kerotan. If you truly do not care at all as it has no relevance to you, than the wise thing to do would be .... just not have a conversation about it? Instead of making snarky replies

Replicant said:
OTBWY said:

I mean, not really what he said, but sure. Le meme. L o l. 

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Replicant said:

OTBWY said:
Replicant said:

Replicant said:
OTBWY said:

Ok knock it off you two. If you have a beef with other take it up via PM. Please refrain from continuing it here. Thanks

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

If anything has been proven thus far, it's that Playstation will maintain the high budget 3rd party Japanese titles since those rely on a western audience. The low budget visual novels or smaller games don't really have much to hold onto the Playstation brand anymore. Those will head to the Switch or Steam/PC or both. How much value do low budget titles have for Sony? None of them were ever that big of a factor to any of their success. After all the Vita was the king of low budget otaku stuff and visual novels and it was a complete disaster in Japan and outside of it. So unless a big IP like Persona or Neptunia decides to skip Playstation (which ain't gonna happen since those are western title successes as well) it really doesn't mean much. Is Sony going to mourn the loss of Wand of Fortune R2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue which sold 2.5k units this week? I doubt it.

Megiddo said:
If anything has been proven thus far, it's that Playstation will maintain the high budget 3rd party Japanese titles since those rely on a western audience. The low budget visual novels or smaller games don't really have much to hold onto the Playstation brand anymore. Those will head to the Switch or Steam/PC or both. How much value do low budget titles have for Sony? None of them were ever that big of a factor to any of their success. After all the Vita was the king of low budget otaku stuff and visual novels and it was a complete disaster in Japan and outside of it. So unless a big IP like Persona or Neptunia decides to skip Playstation (which ain't gonna happen since those are western title successes as well) it really doesn't mean much. Is Sony going to mourn the loss of Wand of Fortune R2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue which sold 2.5k units this week? I doubt it.

You're not looking at all the factors though non high budget games also include the likes of Octopath and such which as seen are not only notable games but can have an impact on platform performance showing these games can have significant value. High budget titles aren't going to leave the PS brand but they are and have been making efforts to be available on other platforms as developers focus less on appealing to one platform's userbase and want to have a collective following right across the board, for example SE dedicated a version of DQXI to NS and the are claims of them looking to bring the KH series over all the while the entire mainline FF back log is being brought over to both NS and XB.

Vita sold what it did after Sony left it to die after like two years factor that those titles you think didn't have an impact actually did.

I would like to hope that a game like Dragon Quest XI S will do really well on Switch. It'll depend on whether or not SE gives a damn and markets its appropriately in Japan. I can see Nintendo making it a big title in the West (if this particular version ever comes overseas) like they did with Dragon Quest IX, which led to pretty respectful sales on the DS in the West.

I agree with others that AAA Japanese third party games will not leave PlayStation, but can somehow get a chance to continue building an audience with other consoles, especially with Switch. Why can't games like Persona 5 come to Switch? Atlus is already making SMT V for Switch so why can't Persona get a crack at the Switch userbase, even if the game is built off the PS3 version? Persona fans have seen Persona Q (and the upcoming sequel) come to 3DS so there is some familiarity with Nintendo consoles even if the games aren't necessarily the same as mainline Persona games. Why can't a Metal Gear Solid collection be released on the Switch (besides the fact that we're talking about Konami)? Why can't the Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5+2.8+all the other decimals before 3 come to Switch?