By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Presidential Alert?

I was just on the train minding my business listening to music and my phone made a noise and I got a presidential alert text. Has this happened to anyone else and why is it happening? 

Around the Network

Happened to me about an hour ago.

jason1637 said:

I was just on the train minding my business listening to music and my phone made a noise and I got a presidential alert text. Has this happened to anyone else and why is it happening? 

It's from FEMA. Probably just going to be used in weather emergencies. 

Over 200 million people received this message in the U.S. It was a test.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

CaptainExplosion said:
COKTOE said:

If it was a test to see if America really is land of the free, then the test has just been failed miserably.

What are you trying to say?

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

Can I opt out?

CaptainExplosion said:
COKTOE said:

If it was a test to see if America really is land of the free, then the test has just been failed miserably.

I'm not really a proponent of the mass notification, but how do you live in a world with so much hyperbole.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

CaptainExplosion said:
StarDoor said:

What are you trying to say?

That if America were the land of the free this wouldn't be happening. Trump is breaching privacy like it's going out of style. This only adds to the many awful things that have come out of his administration. Just impeach him already. -_-

A national text is where the government has gone too far?

Not the wealth redistribution and endless regulations?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

jason1637 said:
COKTOE said:

Can I opt out?

Fuck if I know. I'm in Canada drinking maple syrup straight out of the bottle.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

jason1637 said:
COKTOE said:

Can I opt out?

No, it would be like asking your television manufacturer to disable your TV from receiving the exact same test.  It's not optional.  It's to make sure an emergency broadcast system actually works in the event of an actual emergency.