By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Presidential Alert?

Dulfite said:
I teach government and have known this was coming for a while. In case of national emergency (Like North Korea going crazy), this is for our safety.

Well unless some idiot sends out a Nuclear attack warning like they did in Hawaii.

Then they cause mass panic and hysteria and do the opposite of safety.

Around the Network

“Brawndo’s got electrolytes” text incoming from President Camacho soon.

Raven said:
jason1637 said:

Seriously? Wtf that's fucked uo. I never gave them this info so they shouldn't have it.

You realize you're complaining about a system that assigns you a social security number and birth certificate the moment you're born, right? This shouldn't be a huge shock.

Yeah but my birth certificate or social security doesn't have my phone number.

Edit: Just saw irstupid post that says its from a tower and not to my number. But still it's probably a breach of human rights to send texts without giving my consent.

Mr Puggsly said:
CaptainExplosion said:

That if America were the land of the free this wouldn't be happening. Trump is breaching privacy like it's going out of style. This only adds to the many awful things that have come out of his administration. Just impeach him already. -_-

A national text is where the government has gone too far?

Not the wealth redistribution and endless regulations?

I think there's a limit where economic liberalism ends and corporativism begins, don't you?

One merely has to look at Trump's environmental policies. Claiming there is a war on coal and in turn slapping a 30% tariff on solar panels, for instance. If that wasn't a huge red flag  already, look at how he removed regulation for hazardous chemicals on air and water. Who would even benefit from that? Even if, I don't know, there was the benefit of some 0.1% of extra jobs created at certain companies due to it, do you agree with it?

Besides, I belive, given your political inclinations, you would agree merit is a large part of the capitalist free market. However, a lot of inequality actually comes from inheritance (which effectively given unearned wealth to random people much like lottery) and those who merely manipulate money, not from the worker or the entepreneur. And it has been shown the economy can, and often is, negatively impacted by speculation and wealth concentration.

CaptainExplosion said:
jason1637 said:

Furthering the fact that it's a breach of privacy.

Well it's also been explained that they don't actually have your specific phone number on file, so it's really an overreaction for nothing

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Dulfite said:
I teach government and have known this was coming for a while. In case of national emergency (Like North Korea going crazy), this is for our safety.

Well unless some idiot sends out a Nuclear attack warning like they did in Hawaii.

Then they cause mass panic and hysteria and do the opposite of safety.

This one I believe is controlled by the federal government. In fact, I think Trump himself has to do it or order it, but I could be wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
Dulfite said:

This one I believe is controlled by the federal government. In fact, I think Trump himself has to do it or order it, but I could be wrong.

Wouldn't put it past him. He's corrupt enough to have immigrant children kidnapped and a rapist nominated to the Supreme Court.

I believe plans for this system were made prior to his presidency for one thing.

While the kids being separated is bad, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't come over illegally. We have laws. What are we supposed to do, ignore the laws because of sympathy? Isn't that favoritism?

None of us are qualified to judge that Ford/Kavanaugh situation. There is no evidence, the witnesses that we're there say they weren't, the dates are muddy on Ford's part and Kavanaugh had a more pact calendar for a high schooler than I thought possible. I don't know who is telling the truth, and without evidence or witnesses I presume someone is innocent, just like any of us would hope would be the presumption against us if we were accused of something.

CaptainExplosion said:
the-pi-guy said:

Ah yes, the human right to not get texts 

The NSA has been collecting phone records for years.  It has nothing to do with Trump.  

Look, I'm not a fan of trump, but there are some things that don't have anything to do with him.  Additionally to that, just because something has to do with him, doesn't mean it's bad.  You have to take every case individually and figure out what's actually happening, because otherwise you aren't thinking.  You're just reacting and no one is going to listen to you.  

Doesn't matter, because most of what he's done is awful; kidnapping immigrant children, screwing over the environment, nominating a rapist as a judge, mocking the disabled, mocking a sexual assault victim, getting started on a useless boarder wall, cutting taxes for rich people like himself, getting cozy with Putin, waging a war on facts, claiming he helped 9/11 victims when he obviously did not, and attempted cover up of Kavanaugh's sexual assault.

Dulfite said:

I believe plans for this system were made prior to his presidency for one thing.

While the kids being separated is bad, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't come over illegally. We have laws. What are we supposed to do, ignore the laws because of sympathy? Isn't that favoritism?

None of us are qualified to judge that Ford/Kavanaugh situation. There is no evidence, the witnesses that we're there say they weren't, the dates are muddy on Ford's part and Kavanaugh had a more pact calendar for a high schooler than I thought possible. I don't know who is telling the truth, and without evidence or witnesses I presume someone is innocent, just like any of us would hope would be the presumption against us if we were accused of something.

So you're basically doing what the "president" just did. That is, telling sexual assault victims that they won't be believed and that they have no rights.

No, I'm saying unless you are PROVEN guilty we cannot assume guilt.

the-pi-guy said:
jason1637 said:

Edit: Just saw irstupid post that says its from a tower and not to my number. But still it's probably a breach of human rights to send texts without giving my consent.

Ah yes, the human right to not get texts 

So you're okay with being harassed by text? 

CaptainExplosion said:
Dulfite said:

No, I'm saying unless you are PROVEN guilty we cannot assume guilt.

But do you really wanna risk him becoming a judge when there's a enough of a chance that he's guilty?

Let's say, hypothetically, that he is innocent and this is made up and he gets rejected because of it or withdraws. What is to stop this from happening to the next nominee? And then the next?

How would you feel if, in your opinion, you were falsely accused of something and it cost you a promotion, a job, your reputation? It caused you to get hate mail, emails, maybe rocks thrown through your window, death threats, angry protesting screaming at you everywhere. How would you feel? That is the problem with passing up on Kavanaugh if there is no proof of his guilt; it establishes a precedence for screwing people out of jobs they are qualified for and have earned even if there is no proof that they did any wrongdoing.

If there is proof, then absolutely no one should move up into these positions and should be prosecuted. But there has to be proof.