By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Presidential Alert?

CaptainExplosion said:
StarDoor said:

What are you trying to say?

That if America were the land of the free this wouldn't be happening. Trump is breaching privacy like it's going out of style. This only adds to the many awful things that have come out of his administration. Just impeach him already. -_-

How are you so consistently uninformed on nearly every topic? Not only did President Trump have nothing to do with this, but this is the exact same system that the US government has been using since 1997. Seriously, have you never seen an emergency alert on TV?

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
COKTOE said:
Over 200 million people received this message in the U.S. It was a test.

Can I opt out?

At best you could probably disable notifications.

We already get Amber alerts and numerous weather alerts on a bad day. I'm guessing we will see less of the national alert in comparison.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

CaptainExplosion said:
StarDoor said:

What are you trying to say?

That if America were the land of the free this wouldn't be happening. Trump is breaching privacy like it's going out of style. This only adds to the many awful things that have come out of his administration. Just impeach him already. -_-

You do realize that the exact same alert system has been used on Americans TV's for decades, regardless of Republican or Democrat administration.  It's purpose is to make sure the system works for the government to be able to convey emergency information in the event of an emergency.  Not an invasion of privacy any more so than receiving the alert from a TV set.  Since it's 2018, and literally everyone has a cell phone, that's the new modern way to convey that information.  Do you also consider Flood Warning alerts an invasion of privacy?

CaptainExplosion said:
Mr Puggsly said:

A national text is where the government has gone too far?

Not the wealth redistribution and endless regulations?

I didn't say it was the ONLY test America's taken to prove it's a democracy (the last few which it has failed).

Maybe it worked given how out of touch dems have gotten?

Nah, thats crazy talk. I would have to completely delusional to think that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

jason1637 said:
COKTOE said:
Over 200 million people received this message in the U.S. It was a test.

Can I opt out?

I would add that you shouldn't opt out. It's not going to be something that happens very often, and it serves a valuable purpose.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

You do realize that the exact same alert system has been used on Americans TV's for decades, regardless of Republican or Democrat administration.  It's purpose is to make sure the system works for the government to be able to convey emergency information in the event of an emergency.  Not an invasion of privacy any more so than receiving the alert from a TV set.  Since it's 2018, and literally everyone has a cell phone, that's the new modern way to convey that information.  Do you also consider Flood Warning alerts an invasion of privacy?

Need to learn ot ignore him.

He is one of those people you would see on late night shows where they say Trump did this and that, and they say how horrible it is. Then the guy says at the end it was actually Obama.

Or the reverse and they say Obama or Bernie support this and want this. and then they are all surprised when told it was Trump actually.

Just party people that are hysterical.

CaptainExplosion said:
outlawauron said:

I'm not really a proponent of the mass notification, but how do you live in a world with so much hyperbole.

I just know an unfit president when I see one, and I've seen one since 2016.

Obama was unfit?

COKTOE said:
jason1637 said:

Can I opt out?

I would add that you shouldn't opt out. It's not going to be something that happens very often, and it serves a valuable purpose.

I don't want the government texting me and having my number. If there's an emergency I'll figure it out myself.  I blocked the thing I got the text from. Hopefully it works.

Yup, just like any other emergency alert I get on my phone. No biggie.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

the-pi-guy said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yes, but not at the behest of an orange manchild who mocks rape victims and nominates rapists to the Supreme Court.

I was talking about Trump.

Trump doesn't send these messages out.  

He can't just type something up and text it to everyone.  That isn't how the system works.  

It is managed by FEMA.  Any messages sent out through this go through FEMA.  

Besides that, Trump wasn't president until 2017.

CaptainExplosion said:

See Trump supporters? It IS a breach of privacy, and further proof that you elected an unfit man baby who hates civil rights.

Since when do Amber Alerts involve texting people who didn't consent to give you their phone number?

This system doesn't work by sending individuals messages to a specific number. 

It works by sending messages to the the towers, which broadcast the messages.  

The software in the phones are built to display those types of messages.

There is no transference of phone numbers, these systems don't require a phone number to work.  

I bet those fucking towers are orange though aren't they.

Fuck Trump.

(Did I do it right CaptainExplosion?)