By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Presidential Alert?

Ka-pi96 said:
The Trump hate in here really is ridiculous. I bet if he were to discover the cure for cancer tomorrow some of the people here would claim it was evil just because it was Trump that did it...

Curing cancer will mean tons of doctors would lose their jobs and destroy the health service industry. I thought Trump was a job creator!!!!! 
However yeah some people are crazy. I can't imagine myself getting depressed or angry about what's going on in Washington every day. I understand every once in a while but every day? Sounds like an unhealthy obsession. 

Anyway, I was in a public place when the alert went off. My and everyone else's phone went off. It destroyed my ears for a minute.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

So you're okay with being harassed by text? 

I think you're overreacting a bit. Harassment implies bombardment, this is a single message to test an emergency alert system. Have you seriously never gotten an amber alert message on your phone before? I've gotten probably a dozen over the last 3 years. This uses the exact same emergency response system as an amber alert, except instead of alerting you of an abducted kid, it's designed to alert you of a national emergency, terrorist attacks, serious weather, another country declaring war on the US, etc. 

I blocked amber alerts and don't get them anymore. When I got the alert today it freaked me out so I was harassed by it. If there is a war ot attack or emergency I don't need a text to know about it.

CaptainExplosion said:
the-pi-guy said:

Trump doesn't send these messages out.  

He can't just type something up and text it to everyone.  That isn't how the system works.  

It is managed by FEMA.  Any messages sent out through this go through FEMA.  

Besides that, Trump wasn't president until 2017.

This system doesn't work by sending individuals messages to a specific number. 

It works by sending messages to the the towers, which broadcast the messages.  

The software in the phones are built to display those types of messages.

There is no transference of phone numbers, these systems don't require a phone number to work.  

How do you know it won't transfer people's numbers to the White House?

What makes you think that...

1. There is a sign that numbers get transferred.
  2. This is the sign of numbers getting transferred.
If the government wanted your number, the chances are it wouldn't have to resort to anything like this. It would either get done practically in secret or in an otherwise more discreet manner. There are several plausible-seeming ways to do this that don't involve the government having to know your number.

CaptainExplosion said:
jason1637 said:

So you're okay with being harassed by text? 

Yes, the-pig-guy, are you?

It's Pi guy not pig guy. Was that on purpose?

CaptainExplosion said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It's Pi guy not pig guy. Was that on purpose?

Typo.

Get better spelling before you make your arguments.

lmao. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
CaptainExplosion said:

That if America were the land of the free this wouldn't be happening. Trump is breaching privacy like it's going out of style. This only adds to the many awful things that have come out of his administration. Just impeach him already. -_-

This isn't breaching privacy.  

It's the exact same system, we have had for the past two decades with Amber Alerts.  

Exactly what I was going to say. ‘Twas a dumb comment. 

John2290 said:
jason1637 said:

I blocked amber alerts and don't get them anymore. When I got the alert today it freaked me out so I was harassed by it. If there is a war ot attack or emergency I don't need a text to know about it.

Then you are a fool. You don't want to be that one guy  in a serious emergency who dies because they decided on ignorance foe the sake of keeping your nerves calm. Just look at the Chelyabinzk event in 2013, not all emergencies are visible or stick to your own schedule for convenience. Shit happens, be smart and stay informed and thankful we have this technology today and all the people who have died i n the padt for the lack of it. 

The government shouldn't be texting me without mu permission. If there is an emergency I'm not dumb so I'll be able to survive and don't need the feds help.

Why is there an argument about this? How is this even remotely an issue? Is this really the most pressing concern people have? I'm envious.
Lots of paranoia and conspiracy theories and unwarranted concerns about privacy.

Also, even though I'm in the States and have a US number from T-Mobile I didn't get the alert. So I guess the system test failed? Lol

I have two phone lines from the same company (Sprint) and one phone got it, the other didn't lol. Weird.

CaptainExplosion said:
Mr Puggsly said:

A national text is where the government has gone too far?

Not the wealth redistribution and endless regulations?

I didn't say it was the ONLY test America's taken to prove it's a democracy (the last few which it has failed).

...america is not a democracy

...they repeat that endlessly in the news media to convince morons to give up their rights eventually