By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 8 September 2018

ZODIARKrebirth said:
Nate4Drake said:

The week could be over 300,000 worldwide.  We'll see.

would be disappointed if it would be lower

Are you? Actually you shouldn't be, this late in the cycle, big games sell to the userbase instead of increasing the userbase. Except the game is entirely different than everything before on this platform.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
That looks about right. PS4 did get a minor boost. But really most people who want Spider-Man already have a PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if next week is a little higher though for PS4.

I agree.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Hiku said:

More curious what Spiderman sold rather than how many systems it moved. But PS4 is doing great numbers for a  nearly 5 year old system.

Indeed

and the fact that is still $300 base/$400 Pro.

The fact that it took this long for saturation to become very apparent is crazy.

Spider-Man or no Spider-Man, this 5 year old console is still selling at $299. No specific game bundle is going to make a jaw dropping difference in numbers from here on, not even RDR2. Only price drops are going to increase or continue the sales trend that exists. A $50-$100 drop this holiday and going forward will be necessary.

when you look at the numbers and think that in Japan for almost every 1000 people that come out of game stores with a Switch, one guy comes through the crowd holding an Xbox 1.

It must feel pretty special to be that guy... real Special.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Nice to see PS4 above 200k again, guessing this little boost is from Spider-Man, although I wouldn't expect anything major next week either since honestly, with 82m consoles out there, how many more people need to buy one in order to play the game in the first place? They're selling to the userbase, not expanding it... not majorly at least anyway.

Spiderman has a lot of TV advertising over here in the EU though, can't get through a show without seeing a advert for it and possibly information about bundled console to go with it, while I agree with you that the game will be bought by a ton of the 80million strong ps4 fanbase, you have to admit that Sony/MS/Nintendo don't invest in these huge titles to sell software, they do it to sell hardware, if software was the goal then they would make the game and sell it on all 3 platforms.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Oh wow almost 100k for ps4 in Europe.
Wondering when will the ps4 get its next official price-cut, maybe next year.

Bristow9091 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Spiderman has a lot of TV advertising over here in the EU though, can't get through a show without seeing a advert for it and possibly information about bundled console to go with it, while I agree with you that the game will be bought by a ton of the 80million strong ps4 fanbase, you have to admit that Sony/MS/Nintendo don't invest in these huge titles to sell software, they do it to sell hardware, if software was the goal then they would make the game and sell it on all 3 platforms.

Oh of course, I have no doubt it'll sell hardware, I just think that this late in the gen it isn't going to give as big a hardware bump as people are hoping. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if next weeks numbers were huge in comparison (Since this is September 8th, only a day after Spider-Man came out), but I'm not not really expecting to see that, it'll just be a nice surprise if it DOES end up being the case.

Also yeah, in the UK and there are literally adverts all over tele, even on billboards and buses, and had the same few adverts play before YouTube videos too, lol. They really ramped up the marketing for it!

I'll be honest, as a fan of gaming, marvel and the playstation I love it, it's a whole bunch of the things I love all being shoved down peoples throats :D makes a difference from f'ing car insurance adverts and comparing various meerkats.

I think that you could be right that the ps4 isn't going to double the numbers in any particular week all of a sudden, but I think as we get closer to Christmas having the titles there like God of War and Spiderman from this year might help peoples choices in asking Santa what to bring them, sure it wont have a huge surge in system sales right off the bat, but I think the long term goal of the game will be to keep the PS4 from declining as long as possible considering it's already in the 5th year but it's still selling like a spring chicken, Sony are gonna wanna keep that happening for as long as possible especially when you consider that at this point in the generation they've probably got the manufacture of the ps4slim model down to the lowest cost to Sony per system so the profits will be greater now than ever if they can keep the train rolling.

Why were people expecting this to move consoles? The only bundle available for it is a $400 bundle with the PS4 Pro. Now if it was bundled with a 1TB base PS4 at $299 that would have been a different matter.

Keybladewielder said:
Oh wow almost 100k for ps4 in Europe.
Wondering when will the ps4 get its next official price-cut, maybe next year.

Yes I don't see any price cut this year neither.