By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of The Wild Now The Best Selling Zelda!!

CaptainExplosion said:
Vini256 said:

Pretty much. Sigh, I don't even know why I bother opening Zelda threads anymore, it's been more than a year since I've beaten BotW and it still hurts a lot to realize that the Zelda I love is dead. I'll make my own spiritual successor to 3D Zelda one day, I swear.

Study game design and maybe coding so you can. :)

But yeah, I hope the next Zelda has more unique boss fights and a bigger enemy variety.

Where are the ReDeads, Peahats and Darknuts?

Oh, no need to tell me, I've just switched my college course from IT to Game Design this year ;)

I'm actually already thinking about how I'd do such a game (Such as setting, plot, etc. Gameplay would straight-up be old 3D Zelda though).

More enemy variety and better bosses would be nice, but I probably still wouldn't play the next 3D Zelda as I didn't like the new formula much.

Last edited by Vini256 - on 19 August 2018

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Study game design and maybe coding so you can. :)

But yeah, I hope the next Zelda has more unique boss fights and a bigger enemy variety.

Where are the ReDeads, Peahats and Darknuts?

Oh, no need to tell me, I've just switched my college course from IT to Game Design this year ;)

I'm actually already thinking about how I'd do such a game (Such as setting, plot, etc. Gameplay would straight-up be old 3D Zelda though).

More enemy variety and better bosses would be nice, but I probably still wouldn't play the next 3D Zelda as I didn't like the new formula much.

Since you're studying game design, and not liking open world games (so far), maybe you'll find this video interesting - it's about Gothic, old PC exclusive (at best) AA franchise, fairly different type of open world RPG that influenced many later games, including Witcher 3.

HoloDust said:

Since you're studying game design, and not liking open world games (so far), maybe you'll find this video interesting - it's about Gothic, old PC exclusive (at best) AA franchise, fairly different type of open world RPG that influenced many later games, including Witcher 3.

I'll take a look later, thanks! It's always a good idea to watch/read more about game design.

Shame on me for still not playing much of this game. Bought it on the WiiU, but stopped after 10 hours or so. Will play it on Switch.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I actually really loved the way the games broke the dungeon stuff down into bite-sized chunks with the shrines, it was so satisfying to conquer them ten minutes at a time instead of each one going on for hours.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
PAOerfulone said:

I didn’t mind Snowhead, myself, I actually found it enjoyable.

It was the Great Bay Temple that made me want to chuck my controller or 3DS through my bedroom window. Fuck that place.

I really liked the Great Bay Temple actually, but then again I also really liked Lakebed Temple.

Water levels in Zelda are just way overhated. Those two might be questionable, but the infamous Water Temple is actually one of the best ever Zelda dungeons in my opinion.

Only in OOT 3D, in my opinion. It was good in OOT for 64 as well, but the reliance on the iron boots and having to enter and exit the menu so many times made the whole thing a chore. The lights on the walls made the water level changing more intuitive as well. I agree that the water levels are way overhated. They tend to actually be some of my favorites because you have to figure out the mechanisms of the dungeon and how it spatially fits together, like you're inside a giant puzzle box. It's why I loved Skyward Swords final dungeon and all of BotW's Divine Beasts, even though I wanted the interiors to have more thematic variety. Zelda has a lot of dungeons like that throughout the series, and you don't really see much of anything quite like it in almost any game anywhere. Other games have dungeons, but not usually dungeons like that.

mZuzek said:

Agreed, yes. Iron Boots were annoying as hell, but I'd blame the game for that, not really the dungeon itself. I'm indifferent on the lights, though.

Agreed, it is the game. I just meant I think that frustration did a lot to color people's opinion of the dungeon. Those types of dungeons that require that spacial awareness I think often tend to be a lot harder for certain people who aren't good at that, so they just get frustrated and hate it, and little frustrations like that make the whole experience more memorable for its frustration for them. If people took their time to figure out the dungeon rather than expecting to just push a block or light a torch or kill all the enemies, they'd learn to appreciate their cleverness.

mZuzek said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Only in OOT 3D, in my opinion. It was good in OOT for 64 as well, but the reliance on the iron boots and having to enter and exit the menu so many times made the whole thing a chore. The lights on the walls made the water level changing more intuitive as well. I agree that the water levels are way overhated. They tend to actually be some of my favorites because you have to figure out the mechanisms of the dungeon and how it spatially fits together, like you're inside a giant puzzle box. It's why I loved Skyward Swords final dungeon and all of BotW's Divine Beasts, even though I wanted the interiors to have more thematic variety. Zelda has a lot of dungeons like that throughout the series, and you don't really see much of anything quite like it in almost any game anywhere. Other games have dungeons, but not usually dungeons like that.

Agreed, yes. Iron Boots were annoying as hell, but I'd blame the game for that, not really the dungeon itself. I'm indifferent on the lights, though.

I’m not, the lights made it too easy.

curl-6 said:

I actually really loved the way the games broke the dungeon stuff down into bite-sized chunks with the shrines, it was so satisfying to conquer them ten minutes at a time instead of each one going on for hours.

I'm on the opposite end - I find shrines to be as if they were given to game design interns and nothing but a filler - to add insult to injury, always with the same esthetics and reward. Bar few enviromental, very early in the game, they've started to feel like grinding to me.

But to each his own, I find BotW to have so many flaws I wouldn't even know where to start.

HoloDust said:

I'm on the opposite end - I find shrines to be as if they were given to game design interns and nothing but a filler - to add insult to injury, always with the same esthetics and reward. Bar few enviromental, very early in the game, they've started to feel like grinding to me.

But to each his own, I find BotW to have so many flaws I wouldn't even know where to start.

I feel like the shrines are great as a concept, but the execution could've been much better than it was. Since all of them shared the same assets and were kind of "blocky" looking, it really did feel like they were all made in a "shrine maker" (Like that test chamber creator in Portal 2). If for the next game they made the shrines more like the mini-dungeons in OoT and MM, that would be a big improvement already. Overall I think it's just a matter of quality > quantity if they keep shrines for the next Zelda.

I also heard the shrines in the DLC were much better, but I'm not spending $20 more on a game I didn't like that much just to play those (If they allowed us to buy just the 2nd pack for $10 then I might've considered it though).

Oh, by the way, I watched the video you sent me yesterday, pretty cool!