By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of The Wild Now The Best Selling Zelda!!

I thought it already had happened but congrats!
I've yet to play the game tho.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

So tell me what exactly about BotW is complex. Nothing? Yeah, that sounds about right. I can't think of a single thing in the entirety of BotW that is complex, in fact that's the reason the game is so good: because it manages to make everything seem simple and easy to understand.

Complexity doesn't mean quality. Zelda dungeons were never the most complex stuff ever (though there are some that are quite tricky, such as the Water Temple, Stone Tower Temple, Lakebed Temple, Sky Keep and more), but they were interesting and fun. They were an essential part of what makes Zelda itself, even dating back to the original NES game. I don't dislike BotW at all and I think the excessive hate on its dungeons is a little unjustified, but it is true that they're simply not a replacement for what the previous games had. I commend BotW for featuring loads of physics-based puzzles, because they feel quite natural and intuitive, but ultimately it did lead to 4 incredibly short and easy dungeons which are also sadly devoid of any thematic variety. Thankfully, the DLC Final Trial was an amazing dungeon which managed to bring with it some truly clever puzzles and took longer than 20 minutes. But overall, it is an aspect in which the game is lacking when compared to the likes Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword.

Edit: also, I still think there's plenty of value in BotW's dungeons. Vah Naboris is particularly great, and it left me an amazing impression as it was my first one. The use of darkness in Vah Rudania was pretty interesting. And Vah Medoh, while an absolute joke of a dungeon, is thematically cool.

There is something complex in BotW though. The way all of the systems interact. It leads to tons of emergent gameplay. No one element is too complex to understand, so people find all sorts of ways to combine different elements to do completely unexpected things. It's elegant in its simplicity. Much like real life, where seeming complexity emerges from elegant simplicity. It's why the game world feels so alive. Sorry, I agree with the rest of what you said here, just thought I'd add that. I think Nintendo knows what they missed in BotW, and I'm pretty hopeful the next game will be a sequel that reuses assets like MM did with OOT, and we'll get all the emergent gameplay of BotW with all the variety and interesting themes, and hopefully length, of other Zelda games.

Keybladewielder said:
I thought it already had happened but congrats!
I've yet to play the game tho.

It did officially, Nintendo said it was at 9.3m on Switch alone (shipped plus digital) since last month. And then there’s the WiiU version which is estimated at around 1.5m. Now though the Switch version has also passed OoT’s 7.6m here on VGC.

I've been a fan since LttP and I love pretty all of the games (only Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks excepted). I feel like even when things change like dungeons, atmosphere, story, and exploration, Nintendo still does an excellent job wherever they put the focus of the game. BotW is my favorite because the exploration has always been my favorite part and I loved wandering the landscape, enjoying the vista and always discovering something new and strange over the next hill. I liked the shrine and the Beasts, but I would have preferred some longer, thematically different dungeons. Hopefully we'll get those in the next mainline Zelda.

Another I hope for is that even though Nintendo has unified their software into the Switch, that they will still do 'handheld' Zeldas. Smaller games more in line with traditional Zelda tropes, since I don't want those to go away entirely even though I really loved BotW.

Good, because it's the best one.

For me, it was the first game in years that really felt like it was pushing gaming forward as a medium instead of just retreading an established formula with prettier pixels. It captured my imagination and gave me newfound hope for the future of video games.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Good, because it's the best one.

For me, it was the first game in years that really felt like it was pushing gaming forward as a medium instead of just retreading an established formula with prettier pixels. It captured my imagination and gave me newfound hope for the future of video games.

Do you think a sequel could even further this experience of yours in anyway, now ?

Yeah I can think of a few ways; even greater range of interactivity, more enemy variety, the main dungeons and their bosses uniquely themed.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I can think of a few ways; even greater range of interactivity, more enemy variety, the main dungeons and their bosses uniquely themed.

Yup, to be honest, I do think these are the most obvious ways they could go to attack an even greater sequel right now.

But now .... do we keep Hyrule ? Does Link go somewhere else ? 

Somewhere new I reckon. I'd like to see more fantastical landscapes and environments, like in the Xenoblade games.

I didn’t mind Snowhead, myself, I actually found it enjoyable.

It was the Great Bay Temple that made me want to chuck my controller or 3DS through my bedroom window. Fuck that place.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Yup, to be honest, I do think these are the most obvious ways they could go to attack an even greater sequel right now.

But now .... do we keep Hyrule ? Does Link go somewhere else ? 

Nintendo would need to vastly change Hyrule via another big time shift or a cataclysmic re-structuring of the land if they wanted to keep the game set there. The exploration and discovery were key to my enjoyment of BotW and retreading exactly the same ground would not satisfy me at all. I would rather they took Link somewhere new, or re-imagined another classic location like Termina, Holodrum, or Koholint Island the same way they did for Hyrule.

I got the game march 22nd 2017 and i am still playing it. Just today i have played 2 hours. Just wandering arround, looking for koroks upgrading my armor. Good to have my switch back.