By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of The Wild Now The Best Selling Zelda!!

For me, its the game of the generation so far followed by Battle of Azeroth. Some Xbox fanboy i am right, considering some like to assume anyway.

Around the Network

What is the next milestone?
Maybe switch + wii U botw vs 3ds + N64 oot?

Bristow9091 said:

For as many hours as I've put into the game (around 40 and still not finished it), I've never been able to grasp how it got such a high meta, why people love it so much, or why it's selling as well as it is... I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I just don't get the same feeling everyone else seems to get, it doesn't feel like a masterpiece or one of the greatest games ever made or whatever, and I really hope the success of this game doesn't lead them to create future Zelda games using the same style and formula... hopefully they won't since the Zelda games are actually rather varied in terms of style and gameplay anyway, just hoping for something more like Wind Waker in the future, lol.

However, with all that said, it's quite the milestone in terms of sales, to be the best selling in the franchise already, which will no doubt continue to sell on, and I await the threads celebrating it passing 10m somewhere down the line, lol :P

It already happened (around 11m combined as of June 30th). On Switch alone, it's at 9.3m, so it will most likely reach 10m this quarter there too.

I wonder if it can reach 14m combined before it turns 2 years old (March 2019).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Vini256 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Sad to hear.

Pretty much. Sigh, I don't even know why I bother opening Zelda threads anymore, it's been more than a year since I've beaten BotW and it still hurts a lot to realize that the Zelda I love is dead. I'll make my own spiritual successor to 3D Zelda one day, I swear.

Same here - I find BotW to be worst 3D Zelda (MM excluded, only one I haven't finished, time mechanism annoyed me to no end), and I consider myself Zelda fan. To be honest, I wanted formula to change a bit, since balance between puzzles and exploration was off, but BotW is all upside down, lot of pointless exploration without good puzzles (no, shrines, aka Portal for toddlers, do not and cannot replace proper temples and dungeons).

So yeah, it's really sad, since that will just convince them they're on the right track. Just like Bethesda went full mass market with Skyrim, which pales so badly comapred to Morrowind.

I’m looking at my big Special Edition box with it’s cool Master Sword right now.

Officially it already happened a while ago, but now surpassing OoT on VGC is a nice milestone! Next one I guess is 10m on Switch here on VGC. OoT is still my favorite Zelda and my favorite game in general, but BotW did do the unthinkable by being brilliant enough to breach into my all-time top 10 and becoming my third favorite Zelda game, bumping Twilight Princess down a spot. Really the only games out there I liked even more are those with a special personal meaning attached.

I’m happy the game is this succesful, the series deserved it.

To those affraid about the future; don’t worry, there will be more Zelda games, and there will definitely be more classic-styled ones (classic 3D formula I mean, BotW is a actually the classic-styled one because it’s like the original). Nintendo will make the games they want to make, we will see real dungeons again!

Around the Network
axumblade said:

If you include multiple releases in the totals, it's still number 3 overall (behind Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess). But it should beat out Twilight Princess by years end and has a chance of beating out Ocarina of Time eventually. *This is going by this sites numbers and does not include digital at all*

Buy officall Nintendo numbers, as 31. June only Zelda BotW was at 9.3m, and to continue to selling around 1m per quarater, at end this year it will be at least at around 11m+, so combined with Wii U version will pass combined Ocarina of Time sales at end of this year or in first quarter of next year, in other words, Zelda BotW alone will certainly pass Ocarina Of Time combine numbers.

axumblade said:

If you include multiple releases in the totals, it's still number 3 overall (behind Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess). But it should beat out Twilight Princess by years end and has a chance of beating out Ocarina of Time eventually. *This is going by this sites numbers and does not include digital at all*

If your factoring multiple releases it has already beat TP because your forgetting the wii u version. nintendo's official sales at the end of june had the switch version at 9.3 million and the wii u version at 1.5m for a total of 10.8m sold. The combined sales for TP (wii, gc and wii u) is around 10 million.

Adjusted for sales inflation OOT is still a much better seller than BOTW

contestgamer said:

Nope. OoT wasn’t anywhere close to this. Even on a bigger install base.

Last edited by Roar_Of_War - on 18 August 2018

contestgamer said:

Are you just looking for attention at this point.