By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of The Wild Now The Best Selling Zelda!!

Awesome. Well deserved achievement.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Deserved!

axumblade said:

If you include multiple releases in the totals, it's still number 3 overall (behind Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess). But it should beat out Twilight Princess by years end and has a chance of beating out Ocarina of Time eventually. *This is going by this sites numbers and does not include digital at all*

Remakes and remasters are kinda cheating imo. A lot of people will have bought both versions in those cases.

It should be done based on what comes out on the same day. So GC and Wii Twilight Princess are the same game but N64 and 3DS Ocarina are not.

Actually, it happened a long time ago. I know you're talking about VGC numbers, but I just wanted to point that out. As of June 30th, Zelda BotW was around 11m combined, so we're getting to Animal Crossing territory here. It's so great to see Zelda finally reach the audience it deserves...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I'm 100% certain that the open world, BotW formula is the main formula that the franchise is following from here onwards, and the next game in that formula is most likely in development, I'm sure, whether it is a Nintendo Switch swan song or a launch title for their next system somewhere between 2022-2024 is what I'm still not sure of.

That said, I still think there's a place for the classic 3D, Ocarina of Time formula and would love to see a game of that style for the Switch along with a top-down 2D, A Link to the Past styled Zelda game. I think that would be a cool thing for the Switch to have one of each styles that Zelda is known for before moving on to their next system.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

It actually means Guardians of the Galaxy.

Whatever you say, rodent. :P

I think you mean rabbit

Wonderful. This game made me very happy and it shows all the work and love with which it was made. I'm glad that sales have rewarded that.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Well deserved. One of my favorite game ever.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Sad to hear.

Pretty much. Sigh, I don't even know why I bother opening Zelda threads anymore, it's been more than a year since I've beaten BotW and it still hurts a lot to realize that the Zelda I love is dead. I'll make my own spiritual successor to 3D Zelda one day, I swear.

Bristow9091 said:

For as many hours as I've put into the game (around 40 and still not finished it), I've never been able to grasp how it got such a high meta, why people love it so much, or why it's selling as well as it is... I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I just don't get the same feeling everyone else seems to get, it doesn't feel like a masterpiece or one of the greatest games ever made or whatever, and I really hope the success of this game doesn't lead them to create future Zelda games using the same style and formula... hopefully they won't since the Zelda games are actually rather varied in terms of style and gameplay anyway, just hoping for something more like Wind Waker in the future, lol.

We all have our own preferences, of course.  BotW was by far my favorite Zelda game.  But, with as varied as the series is, I can certainly understand why fans of some other Zelda games might not care for it.  On the flipside, I don't really care for OoT, which most people rave about.  At the end of the day, games are art.  And, appreciation of art is very personal and subjective. 

As for Zelda games going forward, I expect that they'll continue to make top-down games.  I expect that one of the next two Zelda games will be BotW style.  Probably the next one, since this one has been so huge.  But, I doubt they'll go more than one more BotW-style before we see a more classic style Zelda.