By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Ultimate: Is Goku Actually a Possibility? Like Is it Really IMPOSSIBLE?

Ok, so there's the "no western 3rd party characters allowed"
Crash will put an end on this!

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

Goku's English VA confirmed he had not done any work for the game, nor has he been told he will. At the very least, he won't be in the main game.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

tbone51 said:

I dont disagree with most if not all with qhat you said. Im looking at it as what can Sakurai do in terms of WTF impossible character to add to the game. In Brawl it was a third party character that has history with Nintendo. In SSB4 it was Cloud who ever was like WTF he never be in the game. Hell you can say Bayonetta as well

I feel like this game out of rule character would be Goku. Im not expected it, but i dont think its impossible is all im saying. Its definelty a less than 0.1% but above 0.0% :p

I wouldn't say Bayonetta, because her games actually came out prior and Nintendo had a really close relationship with Platinum games. Cloud on the other hand... that's a fair point.

I... will... concede... that... there... is... a... some... less... than... inkling...of... a... chance... thathemightgetin.

Azuren said:
Goku's English VA confirmed he had not done any work for the game, nor has he been told he will. At the very least, he won't be in the main game.

That doesnt mean anything. And if he were a VA would he even announce he is doing the game? I mean he wasn't in ssb4 either and he did VA for lucario in ssbb

I estimate there's a 1% chance of Goku being DLC, cause why not

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Mar1217 said:
No. Smash is a collection of gaming icons from Japan mostly.

Goku is an icon of the anime community first, not a video game icon.

This.

He still qualifies as a video game character.  Although for some reason I think Master Chief is a possibility now.  But only based on some recent good relations between MS and Nintendo in articles.  MS was visiting Japan I believe earlier this year with discussions, and who knows what all they were doing.

Lube Me Up

tbone51 said:
Azuren said:

That doesnt mean anything. And if he were a VA would he even announce he is doing the game? I mean he wasn't in ssb4 either and he did VA for lucario in ssbb

It means a lot more than you're willing to admit.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I'd love Goku in Smash. I'd like Smash to move away from mostly Nintendo characters and more just gaming characters. I'm happy the newer Smash bros include lots of third party characters.

About the whole cloud thing, it wasn't as out of selection as you think. FF1~6 was a pretty big thing on nintendo consoles. it was just surprising that CLOUD became the FF rep because he never really had a presence on ninty, but FF, and SE as a whole has been a big presence on ninty consoles.

As others have stated, Goku's potential presence isn't as unprecedented as you probably think. "lol if goku gets in it opens the door for naruto/whatever-rando-who-cares anime crap". No. What other anime character has had a 30+ year history with Nintendo, and overall cultural relevance that transcends weeb stuff? Hell, that's more than a lot of the existing roster. Not to mention the aforementioned consideration of James Bond for the original Smash.

Bandai Namco Studios is co-developing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Why is this relevant? Because they are the actual company in charge of the Dragon Ball franchise.

There's plenty of fuel that would lead to his inclusion; to simply write it off as a meme or silly pipe dream is a grand assumption without knowing the facts.

Now, do I think he'll make the cut? Probably not. In fact, I'd bet he won't even be DLC. But don't act like this is Shrek or something. It is definitely within the realm of possibility. It's just a matter of whether Sakurai is willing to lift the technicality of characters not originating from video games.

Last edited by aiwass - on 10 August 2018

*My signature from 2011 which I'm too lazy to change*

Currently awaiting the arrivals of:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Beyond the Labyrinth
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion 2