By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Ultimate: Is Goku Actually a Possibility? Like Is it Really IMPOSSIBLE?

HylianSwordsman said:

I want to make clear I do NOT think Goku is possible. It would be too polarizing to devote one of the very, very few remaining possible character slots to an anime character. It would be possible to do in theory, more so than Shrek anyway, but not right now, definitely not. That said, in the spirit of this thread, here's an up and coming Smash Youtuber who's reasonably big in the Youtube Smash scene, reacting to the recent direct. At the end, he (jokingly, I believe) discusses the possibility of Goku in Smash Ultimate. His argument, summarized, is that the trailers seem to imply that if there is a story mode, there will be heroes and villains, and that therefore the trailers we've seen so far are actually from the story mode, and that therefore, Luigi, Mario, and Megaman are canonically dead. If they're dead, they'll need someone to resurrect them. Enter Goku. Also, that punch between K.Rool and DK looked like a straight up DBZ scene, and he makes the comparison between such a scene.

Discussion of hero and villain theme and possibility of Goku begins at 17:00, comparison of DK-K.Rool punch and Goku-Vegeta punch is at 18:40.

https://youtu.be/co5R5PjVKQc?t=16m58s

I highly doubt there is a numerical limit on the number of character slots the game can have. I've always thought the character slots argument is the weakest one for any anti-inclusion argument (not saying you are basing your reasoning all on this).

Around the Network

I wouldn't rule it out as being straight up impossible, but it doesn't make a single bit of sense, and I don't personally want it to happen, even if I could imaging kid Goku on the nimbus cloud with a giant ape final smash being a lot of fun to play.

I think it's more about license and Money. Sakaurai needs agreements from:
-Akira Toriyama (creator of the character),
-Bandai Namco (owner of the rights of making Dragonball games),
-Funimations (have the rights of the Animations)
-Masako Nozawa (japanese voice of Goku).

The problem is that Smash isn't a dedicated Dragonball game and getting the 4 Ok's take a long time. Unless Sakurai can spend so much money and gets the agreements immediately.

burninmylight said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I want to make clear I do NOT think Goku is possible. It would be too polarizing to devote one of the very, very few remaining possible character slots to an anime character. It would be possible to do in theory, more so than Shrek anyway, but not right now, definitely not. That said, in the spirit of this thread, here's an up and coming Smash Youtuber who's reasonably big in the Youtube Smash scene, reacting to the recent direct. At the end, he (jokingly, I believe) discusses the possibility of Goku in Smash Ultimate. His argument, summarized, is that the trailers seem to imply that if there is a story mode, there will be heroes and villains, and that therefore the trailers we've seen so far are actually from the story mode, and that therefore, Luigi, Mario, and Megaman are canonically dead. If they're dead, they'll need someone to resurrect them. Enter Goku. Also, that punch between K.Rool and DK looked like a straight up DBZ scene, and he makes the comparison between such a scene.

Discussion of hero and villain theme and possibility of Goku begins at 17:00, comparison of DK-K.Rool punch and Goku-Vegeta punch is at 18:40.

https://youtu.be/co5R5PjVKQc?t=16m58s

I highly doubt there is a numerical limit on the number of character slots the game can have. I've always thought the character slots argument is the weakest one for any anti-inclusion argument (not saying you are basing your reasoning all on this).

I used that phrasing as a expression that people would generally know what I meant. There is no hard number limit. There is a number, but it is arbitrary and based on development time and resources. So there are, in a way, character slots, but not literally, just in a "number in Sakurai's head that he thinks he can handle" sort of way.

The walls for who gets into Smash Bros keeps getting lower.
Super Smash Bros (Only Nintendo All-Stars)
Super Smash Bros Melee (Only Nintendo Characters )
Super Smash Bros Brawl(Only Characters that appeared on Nintendo consoles)
Super Smash Bros 4 (Any Video game character)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Any character that appeared on a video game?)

I wouldn't be surprised if Goku is in the game to be honest. After Cloud got in I realized that there are no rules. If there are rules then they WILL eventually get broken. Smash Bros characters are like a slippery slope now.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
killeryoshis said:
The walls for who gets into Smash Bros keeps getting lower.
Super Smash Bros (Only Nintendo All-Stars)
Super Smash Bros Melee (Only Nintendo Characters )
Super Smash Bros Brawl(Only Characters that appeared on Nintendo consoles)
Super Smash Bros 4 (Any Video game character)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Any character that appeared on a video game?)

I wouldn't be surprised if Goku is in the game to be honest. After Cloud got in I realized that there are no rules. If there are rules then they WILL eventually get broken. Smash Bros characters are like a slippery slope now.

Lol come on Ness is a Nintendo All-Star? Also Snake was originally supposed to be in Melee, so clearly the "rule" for getting into Smash was already wide open by then.

There's only ever been one rule, and that's videogame characters. Obviously at the start, with smaller resources and time, Nintendo was always gonna focus on their own first because it's that much easier, faster and cheaper. Anything else is just your entitlement to specific rules for what can and can't be in Smash, because you're too annoyed by the presence of characters other people want in the game.

Edit: and by the way every character in Smash 4 has appeared on Nintendo consoles.

Thats pretty sneaky trying to put cloud in that "edit" part

Seriously, the Goku in Smash troll/joke is getting to be older than "All Your base are belong to us."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

There still isn't a good counter argument for why it would be SO INSANELY RIDICULOUS IMPOSSIBLE for Goku to be in
Smash. Just people saying you personally don't want him there isn't an argument lol. I think he should be. It would certainly give the game more attention and attract a shit ton of players.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
There still isn't a good counter argument for why it would be SO INSANELY RIDICULOUS IMPOSSIBLE for Goku to be in
Smash. Just people saying you personally don't want him there isn't an argument lol. I think he should be. It would certainly give the game more attention and attract a shit ton of players.

What this guy ^ said . Years ago, when the Wii was hot and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was announced, I was on an IGN board. The idea came up that the Wii version should have Nintendo characters like Link and Samus as hidden unlockables to help give the Wii version tons more value in the vein of Link being in Soul Calibur 2. Most people in the forum shitted all over the idea, talking about how Nintendo characters had no place in a Marvel game because they aren't comic book characters and aren't canon to the game. I'm like, "What the hell about this game strikes you as canon? What, is Marvel vs. Capcom canon to the comics and nobody told me?!"

Seriously, what is this sacred cow of gaming that makes people think certain characters can't cross over? Where is this hidden rulebook of gaming, or if these are unwritten rules, can we please start writing them down?

I dont see the issue with Goku in Smash. He has his own video games which to me proves a point. Its not like his a anime character only now.