By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

I am sticking with my initial prediction of 2-3 mil LTD. So stoked the game is selling the way it is, as it opens doors for further publishing deals with Nintendo and more games like this. Absolutely loving it and I am trying to complete everything I can. Even an hour and a half of side questing last night proved to be a joy for me to play. I love how they do not point you in a specific direction for them, and you pretty much have to investigate and yalk to NPCs, sometimes regions apart, to figure out what needs to be done.

Brilliant game, well deserved success!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
quickrick said:

it's 1 million shipped with digital included, i think this games sales will fall of a cliff personally and be lucky if it reaches 2 million shipped.

Dread it. Run from it. The cliff still arrives.

Anyway,the solely fact that this is getting stock problems and the stock gets sold out as fast as they arrives should be a clear indication that this will not be frontloaded at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

This game is great. It will pass 2 million with ease!

That's great to hear! It's hot on Xenoblade's tail! I'm glad to see that there really are people who can sniff out a real recreation of the 16 bit era JRPGs compared to those who bought into Tokyo RPG Factory's half hearted games.

And yes, this is a great sign that 3rd party games can flourish on Switch...but for the most part it's going to be Japanese 3rd party games. Always has been this way since the NES. So while yes, this is a great victory for a Japanese Rpg, I wouldn't try to translate its success to most western 3rd party games. So yeah, Square Enix, Capcom, Konami, Level 5, Namco, Sega/Atlus, etc. should be motivated by this game's success.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

Knew it wouldn't be long before you'd be in here downplaying this.

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

It is doing as good if not better than my new Nintendo IP's. Did I not just see sales reported for like Nintendo Labo, Mario Tennis, and one other as like between 1-1.5 million each. I think Arms is like less than 2. Octopath will sell more than that game.

Or are you stupidly saying a new IP should sell as well as Mario Odyssey or Zelda Breath of the Wild?

Around the Network

Amazing!!!! Great news for future JRPGs on the Switch!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

OTBWY said:
curl-6 said:

LMAO, of course you do.

Ah so we have returned to the cliff...

The cliff is not dead yet apparently....... 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

MasonADC said:
That's great. Still won't outsell persona 5 though :)

What is Persona 5 sales?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

1 Million down, 5 to go

tbone51 said:

ROFLMAO!!!

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 August 2018