By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

So it seems that it passed the million mark in two something weeks. Another million seller (very likely) on the Switch and a third party at that. Thoughts? How far will the game go in sales?

Last edited by OTBWY - on 03 August 2018

Around the Network

Well deserved!

But... but the internet told me Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo made games...

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome news. Great to see what looks like a game made with love and passion succeed. See third parties, you can sell well on Switch, you just need to make a desirable product.

Congrats to Octopath Traveler! Enjoying it a lot so far.

This is great news.I'll wait until the million sold to celebrate, but I guess it won't take long. This will definitively have a sequel.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Hooray! Great game and well deserved. Now let's go for two million!

curl-6 said:

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome news. Great to see what looks like a game made with love and passion succeed. See third parties, you can sell well on Switch, you just need to make a desirable product.

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

curl-6 said:

It is an excellent thing to happen. A third party exclusive selling that well at full price, and a core jrpg too! This is a very good sign for things to come. SE just noticed that theres a desire for these types or jrpgs too. So what I would like to see is a remaster of Chrono Trigger or any of the 16 bit era FF games.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

It certainly won't stop there. It can definitely go up to 3m LTD. And considering its production costs, it is bound to be more profitable than many other games.

And they're selling that well for a reason. They're great, desirable games. If third parties want in on the fun, they should also bring their A game.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229571&page=1#

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=235226&page=1#

tl;dr: the VGC community has bought twice as many third party games as first party games.