By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

Have only played a few hours so far, but congrats and well deserved.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

This actually is doing similar numbers to some Nintendo games. And it's yet another example that "Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games" is a fallacy.

Nintendo gamers only buying nintendo games has always been false, certain type of games always sold well on nintendo platforms, even on wiiu. it's just thirdparty games are seldom a massive success, talking about big AAA games, nba 2k, fifa, COD, skrim, etc.

You can add 1 more to that total! My copy is downloading of the eShop as I type.

quickrick said:

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

This actually is doing similar numbers to some Nintendo games. And it's yet another example that "Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games" is a fallacy.

Nintendo gamers only buying nintendo games has always been false, certain type of games always sold well on nintendo platforms, even on wiiu. it's just thirdparty games are seldom a massive success, talking about big AAA games, nba 2k, fifa, COD, skrim, etc.

Okay, then.

GoOnKid said:
quickrick said:

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

quickrick said:

Okay, then.

SO you think thirdparty games are what's selling switches? it's mainly nintendo games, not hard to understand, and it's obvious  by looking at software sales.  

Around the Network
quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

Knew it wouldn't be long before you'd be in here downplaying this.

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

Octopath Traveller is a new I.P. When Nintendo makes those big sales, it's always on established I.P. so how could a third party expect to equal the sales of a Mario Kart, Zelda or Mario platformer?

The fact is: there's always an excuse a big company like EA can use to explain why their games wouldn't sell on Switch and if their investors believe them then fine. But if Sonic Mania is making money for Sega and Skyrim is making money for Bethesda and the Rabbids are making money for Ubisoft and Fortnite is making money and Rocket League is making money and now Square is making money off a Switch exclusive you've got to start asking how much EA is leaving on the table here.

At this point we all know that “wait & see” cost the big companies a lot of money in lost sales. The only question is what they do now that their initial strategy failed catastrophically.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

Knew it wouldn't be long before you'd be in here downplaying this.

There are many, many games that wish they could have sold a million copies. It’s actually a pretty big deal to ever hit that milesotne, let alone in less than a month while horribly understocked.

quickrick said:
routsounmanman said:

It certainly won't stop there. It can definitely go up to 3m LTD. And considering its production costs, it is bound to be more profitable than many other games.

And they're selling that well for a reason. They're great, desirable games. If third parties want in on the fun, they should also bring their A game.

I doubt it, i think it will ship 2 million LTD, and why would they need to bring there A game to switch? they are selling millions on the other platforms.

3m shipped is basically a lock at this point. Remember, games on Nintendo platforms are rarely front-loaded, and Switch still has a relatively small install base sure to grow. Not to mention JRPG fans are core gamers, actively looking for games they have missed when they jump aboard a new platform.

And saying they don't have to engage on the Switch because they sell well on PS4 / Xbone is so absurdly wrong. For example porting KH3 to the Switch (assuming it's possible) would effectively drop development costs, and consequent risk, not to mention more revenue, sales, profit and exposure.

And it can go even better with exclusives. I dare anyone argue that an exclusive FFVI remake for the Switch would not sell multiple millions, in the range of 4-5 or even more.

Sordel said:
quickrick said:

Octopath Traveller is a new I.P. When Nintendo makes those big sales, it's always on established I.P. so how could a third party expect to equal the sales of a Mario Kart, Zelda or Mario platformer?

The fact is: there's always an excuse a big company like EA can use to explain why their games wouldn't sell on Switch and if their investors believe them then fine. But if Sonic Mania is making money for Sega and Skyrim is making money for Bethesda and the Rabbids are making money for Ubisoft and Fortnite is making money and Rocket League is making money and now Square is making money off a Switch exclusive you've got to start asking how much EA is leaving on the table here.

At this point we all know that “wait & see” cost the big companies a lot of money in lost sales. The only question is what they do now that their initial strategy failed catastrophically.

splatoon was a new IP and sold over 5 million on the dead wiiu, wiisports was a new ip and sold 80 million. being a new IP doesn't have to that much to do with how successful  a game can be, just look at horizon, destiny or the last of us. 

As for EA, is just not EA, it's most big AAA studios. it's mainly because of the hardware difference, and not just not the specs which do play a big role. 

routsounmanman said:
quickrick said:

I doubt it, i think it will ship 2 million LTD, and why would they need to bring there A game to switch? they are selling millions on the other platforms.

3m shipped is basically a lock at this point. Remember, games on Nintendo platforms are rarely front-loaded, and Switch still has a relatively small install base sure to grow. Not to mention JRPG fans are core gamers, actively looking for games they have missed when they jump aboard a new platform.

And saying they don't have to engage on the Switch because they sell well on PS4 / Xbone is so absurdly wrong. For example porting KH3 to the Switch (assuming it's possible) would effectively drop development costs, and consequent risk, not to mention more revenue, sales, profit and exposure.

And it can go even better with exclusives. I dare anyone argue that an exclusive FFVI remake for the Switch would not sell multiple millions, in the range of 4-5 or even more.

you are talking bout nintendo games here, I diffidently see octopath as being front loaded.

The problem is it's not possible, other wise square would have did it, unless they hate money.   

I personally think it's stupid from a business stand point to limit yourself from over a 100 million users just to be exclusive on switch, unless it's a small budget project like octopath which was specially targeted for the switch audience.  

Last edited by quickrick - on 03 August 2018