By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

Great News for a great game.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

But... but the internet told me Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo made games...

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome news. Great to see what looks like a game made with love and passion succeed. See third parties, you can sell well on Switch, you just need to make a desirable product.

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

Knew it wouldn't be long before you'd be in here downplaying this.

routsounmanman said:
quickrick said:

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

It certainly won't stop there. It can definitely go up to 3m LTD. And considering its production costs, it is bound to be more profitable than many other games.

And they're selling that well for a reason. They're great, desirable games. If third parties want in on the fun, they should also bring their A game.

I doubt it, i think it will ship 2 million LTD, and why would they need to bring there A game to switch? they are selling millions on the other platforms.

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

Switch is a more core centric platform with an older audience, third parties can have success on it with the right software. We've seen it already with things like Hollow Knight and others, you look at the Nintendo eShop and its dominated by third party content sales the top ten isn't just Nintendo games. Octopath takes it one step further with a retail release. This is only the beginning.

Around the Network

It's surpassed my expectation. I thought it would sell 1m lifetime but looks like it will do 2m. And no it won't do 3m. Just look at persona 5, it shipped 1.5m only a few days after released and it's now barely over 2m sold.

OTBWY said:
curl-6 said:

But... but the internet told me Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo made games...

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome news. Great to see what looks like a game made with love and passion succeed. See third parties, you can sell well on Switch, you just need to make a desirable product.

It is an excellent thing to happen. A third party exclusive selling that well at full price, and a core jrpg too! This is a very good sign for things to come. SE just noticed that theres a desire for these types or jrpgs too. So what I would like to see is a remaster of Chrono Trigger or any of the 16 bit era FF games.

Hell no!

No more remasters, no matter how good the original game is, give us new games.

On topic: Well deserved Octopath is a really enjoyable game.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

This actually is doing similar numbers to some Nintendo games. And it's yet another example that "Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games" is a fallacy.

Spindel said:
OTBWY said:

It is an excellent thing to happen. A third party exclusive selling that well at full price, and a core jrpg too! This is a very good sign for things to come. SE just noticed that theres a desire for these types or jrpgs too. So what I would like to see is a remaster of Chrono Trigger or any of the 16 bit era FF games.

Hell no!

Nothing wrong with remasters. New games and remasters can exist together. One does not cancel out the other. So whatever engine they have now, they can reuse it for an older much loved game and make a lot of people happy.

Spindel said:
OTBWY said:

Hell no!

You are aware that remasters are usually done by a very small teams, like roughly only a few people most of the time and cost only 1/10 of a brand new game's budget?