By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

routsounmanman said:
quickrick said:

I doubt it, i think it will ship 2 million LTD, and why would they need to bring there A game to switch? they are selling millions on the other platforms.

3m shipped is basically a lock at this point. Remember, games on Nintendo platforms are rarely front-loaded, and Switch still has a relatively small install base sure to grow. Not to mention JRPG fans are core gamers, actively looking for games they have missed when they jump aboard a new platform.

And saying they don't have to engage on the Switch because they sell well on PS4 / Xbone is so absurdly wrong. For example porting KH3 to the Switch (assuming it's possible) would effectively drop development costs, and consequent risk, not to mention more revenue, sales, profit and exposure.

And it can go even better with exclusives. I dare anyone argue that an exclusive FFVI remake for the Switch would not sell multiple millions, in the range of 4-5 or even more.

you are talking bout nintendo games here, I diffidently see octopath as being front loaded.

The problem is it's not possible, other wise square would have did it, unless they hate money.   

I personally think it's stupid from a business stand point to limit yourself from over a 100 million users just to be exclusive on switch, unless it's a small budget project like octopath which was specially targeted for the switch audience.  

Last edited by quickrick - on 03 August 2018

Around the Network
quickrick said:
routsounmanman said:

It certainly won't stop there. It can definitely go up to 3m LTD. And considering its production costs, it is bound to be more profitable than many other games.

And they're selling that well for a reason. They're great, desirable games. If third parties want in on the fun, they should also bring their A game.

I doubt it, i think it will ship 2 million LTD, and why would they need to bring there A game to switch? they are selling millions on the other platforms.

Game sold 1m in 20 days with huge stocs problems,  so 2m+ LT is a lock at this point. 



quickrick said:
routsounmanman said:

3m shipped is basically a lock at this point. Remember, games on Nintendo platforms are rarely front-loaded, and Switch still has a relatively small install base sure to grow. Not to mention JRPG fans are core gamers, actively looking for games they have missed when they jump aboard a new platform.

And saying they don't have to engage on the Switch because they sell well on PS4 / Xbone is so absurdly wrong. For example porting KH3 to the Switch (assuming it's possible) would effectively drop development costs, and consequent risk, not to mention more revenue, sales, profit and exposure.

And it can go even better with exclusives. I dare anyone argue that an exclusive FFVI remake for the Switch would not sell multiple millions, in the range of 4-5 or even more.

you are talking bout nintendo games here, I diffidently see octopath as being front loaded.

The problem is it's not possible, other wise square would have did it, unless they hate money.   

The game is still sold out everywhere, with strong demand, and lackluster supply. It will reach 3m shipped easily.

Not possible? on what grounds? I am not talking about FFVIIR here, rather a ground-up developed for the Switch FFVI R. It would sell gazillions. 

And obviously they do not hate money. But companies are run by people and people make mistakes, or make wrong decisions. For example, Nintendo used cartidges for the N64, Capcom making RE4 exclusive to GC, MS bundling Kinect with XBone, Sony PS3 specs and consequent price point.

And believe me, companies like Square Enix and Capcom are scrambling to put games on the platform as we speak. They have definitely been caught with their pants down.

PS: Locking yourself in the 20m install base is not as stupid as it sounds. First of all, it will not stay at 20m, it will grow considerably, and install base is not always as important. Wii had 100m + install base and noone even used the thing, let alone buy games for it. Switch owners hunger for quality, exclusive content.



quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

But... but the internet told me Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo made games...

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome news. Great to see what looks like a game made with love and passion succeed. See third parties, you can sell well on Switch, you just need to make a desirable product.

1 million shipped in 20 days is good but it's nothing mind blowing that will make third-parties care about switch, and yes people buy nintendo consoles for mainly nintendo games, just look at how insane nintendo games are selling. 

Still as many as what XC2 managed on a whole december month...



Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

routsounmanman said:
quickrick said:

you are talking bout nintendo games here, I diffidently see octopath as being front loaded.

The problem is it's not possible, other wise square would have did it, unless they hate money.   

The game is still sold out everywhere, with strong demand, and lackluster supply. It will reach 3m shipped easily.

Not possible? on what grounds? I am not talking about FFVIIR here, rather a ground-up developed for the Switch FFVI R. It would sell gazillions. 

And obviously they do not hate money. But companies are run by people and people make mistakes, or make wrong decisions. For example, Nintendo used cartidges for the N64, Capcom making RE4 exclusive to GC, MS bundling Kinect with XBone, Sony PS3 specs and consequent price point.

And believe me, companies like Square Enix and Capcom are scrambling to put games on the platform as we speak. They have definitely been caught with their pants down.

PS: Locking yourself in the 20m install base is not as stupid as it sounds. First of all, it will not stay at 20m, it will grow considerably, and install base is not always as important. Wii had 100m + install base and noone even used the thing, let alone buy games for it. Switch owners hunger for quality, exclusive content.

it's 1 million shipped with digital included, i think this games sales will fall of a cliff personally and be lucky if it reaches 2 million shipped.

capcom  and square are scrambling ? all i see is low budget games.

As a business decision is stupid to lock yourself to a 20 million user base, and that why nobody is really doing it, unless it's a low budget project, that's targeting 1-2 million sales. imagine a ambitious developer lets lock out over 200 million users with PC gaming rigs included, and choose to go exclusive on the weakest hardware, which is really gonna limit what they want to do.    

Last edited by quickrick - on 03 August 2018

Around the Network

Well deserved, let's see more retro style games on the Switch!



quickrick said:

it's 1 million shipped with digital included, i think this games sales will fall off a cliff personally and be lucky if it reaches 2 million shipped.

LMAO, of course you do.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

it's 1 million shipped with digital included, i think this games sales will fall off a cliff personally and be lucky if it reaches 2 million shipped.

LMAO, of course you do.

Ah so we have returned to the cliff...



Should manage around 2.5m lifetime then.



Very impressive start for Octopath Traveler. I'd love to see a Final Fantasy 6 Remake in a similar style and some more original games from Square Enix.

I've had this since launch but haven't started it - almost at the end of Ys 8, though, so will start Octopath soon.