By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

Makes you wonder is the era of JRPGs making a solid come back after falling apart post PS2.

Xenoblade 2 - 1.5m
Octopath - 1m and counting
Disgaea 5 - 500k

On other platforms Persona 5 and Nier:A did well if TWEWY and Valkriya do good I think JRPGs as a whole may have found their footing again.

Around the Network

Wyrdness said:
This bolds well for upcoming Jrpgs, next up are Valkriya and TWEWY

I don't know about Valkyria, but The World Ends With You is an almost a decade old game with few upgrades, being sold at a full price. Doesn't bode well for that one, a $40 price point (like the original) would've been more compelling. Especially since nowadays is available on mobile for much less.

Kuksenkov said:

Wyrdness said:

I don't know about Valkyria, but The World Ends With You is an almost a decade old game with few upgrades, being sold at a full price. Doesn't bode well for that one, a $40 price point (like the original) would've been more compelling. Especially since nowadays is available on mobile for much less.

It didn’t stop DKC:TF from doing really well as a $60 port or Bayonetta 1/2 doing well for what it was or Kirby Star Allies despite people complaining it’s not even as beefy in terms of content compared to Triple Deluxe and $20 more.

really happy for the developers for this game, i'm a sony fan but netherless happy to hear such great news about this nice jrpg

Kuksenkov said:

Wyrdness said:

People were saying that for the Wii U ports, they were proven wrong.

Around the Network

Well it's a success, and now that's established- Square Enix support should be blooming from here on out. It might actually beat Bravely Default in sales, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think the Switch audience is more in demand for these kinds of games than the 3DS was.

I want to see a Bravely Third. Not only was Bravely Default my favorite 3DS game, but quite possibly my favorite JRPG of all-time.

Less than the 2M people were talking on another thread, but quite good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Very good sales for a New game and in this time frame (2-3 weeks) , I have about 40 hours of play and im really enjoying the game. Congratulations to SE and Nintendo.

The game is published by Nintendo. So it is a Nintendo game. Therefore it selling means nothing since we know Nintendo games always sell.

Also, the cliff is coming. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:

The game is published by Nintendo. So it is a Nintendo game. Therefore it selling means nothing since we know Nintendo games always sell.

Also, the cliff is coming. 

If that was actually the case, that would lead to a lot of weird scenarios. Like Minecraft being a Sony game, or Crash Bandicoot being a Sega game because they're publishing it on Switch in Japan. If all Nintendo games did sell well then maybe poor Wonderful 101 could of had a chance when they published it. Sadly not.

Last edited by Green098 - on 03 August 2018