By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

Who is completely not surprised by this news? That would be ya boy right here. I have been saying since Switch was announced that upgraded 3DS exclusives (exclusive being the key word here) would be massive for Switch. I feel great being vindicated this quickly.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

Excellent news

It's not surprising that it shipped 1m this fast based on how it was performing on Amazon's hourly chart a few weeks prior to release.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 03 August 2018

Makes you wonder is the era of JRPGs making a solid come back after falling apart post PS2.

Xenoblade 2 - 1.5m
Octopath - 1m and counting
Disgaea 5 - 500k

On other platforms Persona 5 and Nier:A did well if TWEWY and Valkriya do good I think JRPGs as a whole may have found their footing again.

Wyrdness said:
This bolds well for upcoming Jrpgs, next up are Valkriya and TWEWY

I don't know about Valkyria, but The World Ends With You is an almost a decade old game with few upgrades, being sold at a full price. Doesn't bode well for that one, a $40 price point (like the original) would've been more compelling. Especially since nowadays is available on mobile for much less.

Around the Network
Kuksenkov said:

Wyrdness said:

I don't know about Valkyria, but The World Ends With You is an almost a decade old game with few upgrades, being sold at a full price. Doesn't bode well for that one, a $40 price point (like the original) would've been more compelling. Especially since nowadays is available on mobile for much less.

It didn’t stop DKC:TF from doing really well as a $60 port or Bayonetta 1/2 doing well for what it was or Kirby Star Allies despite people complaining it’s not even as beefy in terms of content compared to Triple Deluxe and $20 more.

curl-6 said:

But... but the internet told me Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo made games...

Don't get me started on this.

I went on a car trip to Argentina with my family (parents+brother) last month, and of course I took my Switch which inevitably meant my brother had plenty of time with it for the first time. At some point he saw the news about Limbo and Inside being released on the eShop and asked me "what's Inside?", I answered something along the lines of "it's a sort of sequel to Limbo, except this time it's actually supposed to be good. I'm not buying it anyway, because Limbo sucked", and well... cue Nintendo hater answer.

"If it was a Nintendo game you'd have loved it". When, you know, 2 thirds of my Switch games are third-party.

This week I just came back to college too (after a year away), and while playing MK8D with a friend over there someone came over and dropped the "Nintendo only does the same shit over and over". Started complaining about how the Switch's graphics suck and stuff. "Omg Dark Souls is gonna run at 30fps it's a 8-year-old game lol". Was shocked that "even" BotW ran at 30fps (because open-world games usually run at 60fps these days (??????)). I guess gaming isn't about fun anymore.

This shit triggers me, it really does.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 03 August 2018

really happy for the developers for this game, i'm a sony fan but netherless happy to hear such great news about this nice jrpg

Kuksenkov said:

Wyrdness said:

People were saying that for the Wii U ports, they were proven wrong.

Well it's a success, and now that's established- Square Enix support should be blooming from here on out. It might actually beat Bravely Default in sales, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think the Switch audience is more in demand for these kinds of games than the 3DS was.

I want to see a Bravely Third. Not only was Bravely Default my favorite 3DS game, but quite possibly my favorite JRPG of all-time.