By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

Octopath shipping over 1m this early is only surprising to people who underestimated its selling potential.

Around the Network

hopefully the game hits like 3m life time

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

it's 1 million shipped with digital included, i think this games sales will fall off a cliff personally and be lucky if it reaches 2 million shipped.

LMAO, of course you do.

Comedy gold, he certainty loves a good cliff lol

I admit I am fairly surprised considering I am pretty negative about the game.

*Munch...Munch...Munch...*Cogh*cough* Goddammit! Someone left the beak on this crow!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

That's amazing, @Square-Enix should be happy. 2m lifetime seems 99% possible.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
wombat123 said:
Octopath shipping over 1m this early is only surprising to people who underestimated its selling potential.

Yes, this is... exactly what underestimating means?

If you're implying that what I said wasn't a rational thing to say, then I'll disagree. From my point of view, people who didn't believe Octopath would ship 1m after one month probably projected the game to sell less than 2m lifetime, which to me is underestimating its selling potential.  Kirby and Xenoblade 2 shipped 1m+ in a month and those two games are about in the same sensible sales range compared to Octopath Traveler (around 2-3m).  If a game that's not as accessible to non-JRPG fans like Xenoblade 2 could ship 1m in a month, then Octopath should be able to do it as well.  Also, Kirby and Tropical Freeze (another game that probably shipped 1m+ in a month) had similar pre-order performances chart-wise on Amazon compared to Octopath Traveler which made it relatively safe to guess that Octopath would sell 1m in less than a month.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 03 August 2018

At any rate, a third party game selling so well on Switch is a very good sign. The system is proving itself a healthy ecosystem for those who properly invest in it. Square's recent move to set up a new department for making Switch games should pay off handsomely, and other Japanese devs would be wise to follow suit.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said: 

I'm disappointed you're not replying to my rant.

Oh I share your annoyance, the old "Nintendo gamers love everything Nintendo make and never try anything else" thing is such rubbish.

Well deserved!

The games' still sold out in Japan, UK, Spain, France and I think Switzerland. It's seems to be doing really well pretty much everywhere from the look of things. 2 million is a lock imo.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

Knew it wouldn't be long before you'd be in here downplaying this.

I did say the sales are good, so i'm not downplaying the sales, just saying it's not like the game is doing amazing numbers that thirdparty's will notice and start focusing on switch. if a thirdparty game would do similar to a nintendo game then i'm sure AAA third-party's will take notice.

Well, except "it's nothing mind blowing"