By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How is the Switch going to sell 20M when it only sold 1.88M this quarter?

Soundwave said:
It's probably not gonna happen, if it does, I think it would be the slowest starting Q1 for any 20 million fiscal year that any company for any hardware ever in the business.

That said something like 18 mill isn't necessarily the end of the world especially if software attach rates continue to be this strong. Nintendo just needs to take the lesson that they can't have weak Q1/Q2 and "experiments" like Labo are alright but this is not the Wii/DS era where you can be banking 6-8 month periods on the success of products like that. Those are not the kinds of games that are going to drive Switch hardware adoption.

Man there are a lot of people that swear Nintendo wasn't counting on Labo to push sales and that they launched it in Q1 to have it pushing more sales on Q3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

i don't think it will, they had a weak 1st/2nd Q. Pokemon and smash are system sellers, plus with Mario and Zelda. they could have a great holiday. 

DonFerrari said:
Soundwave said:
It's probably not gonna happen, if it does, I think it would be the slowest starting Q1 for any 20 million fiscal year that any company for any hardware ever in the business.

That said something like 18 mill isn't necessarily the end of the world especially if software attach rates continue to be this strong. Nintendo just needs to take the lesson that they can't have weak Q1/Q2 and "experiments" like Labo are alright but this is not the Wii/DS era where you can be banking 6-8 month periods on the success of products like that. Those are not the kinds of games that are going to drive Switch hardware adoption.

Man there are a lot of people that swear Nintendo wasn't counting on Labo to push sales and that they launched it in Q1 to have it pushing more sales on Q3.

Well to be fair, the head of Nintendo France said they expect April-Sept to only represent 20% of Labo sales this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Only price cut or promotional bundles will make this prediction come true.

But they easily sell round 17 mln consoles without price cut.

Make an official price cut.
Put it at 250, and a 300$ with a game.
Then make a bundle with pokemon let's go with the pokeball and 1 year online switch, with Pikachu/eevee/pokeball joycon, (marketing Pikachu or eevee and the integration with pokemon go on the box) for 350$ on let's go launch.
Drop everything 50$ on black Friday.

The only way I see to accomplish it.

Around the Network

they're banking on hitters like smash and pokemon i think

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

They didn´t change their projection so I think it will definiteli will :)
If Nintendo didn´t trust the Switch they would have lower the projection like they did back then with the Wii U (from 9M to 3M) and the 3DS (from 18M to 13M) :)

Why do we need another thread for this?
Another one was literally just made yesterday.

Just to repeat: Q1 numbers are bad to go by since they're not really much of an indication of the annual total, and are typically on the low side; sometimes as low as around 5% of annual sales.

If VG chartz numbers are anywhere near accurate, then Nintendo sold 2.3M units in Q1, which is 412K higher than shipment. This means Nintendo under-shipped this quarter for whatever reason; they might be launching in new markets, overshot the previous year, or with new bundles this quarter.

Q1+2 gives a far better picture for the year, and obviously, Q3 is the one that counts since that is most of Nintendo's annual sales (Q3 is 55-65% typically for home consoles and usually informs Q4 shipments).

Last edited by Jumpin - on 01 August 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

With this holiday line up I don't think that they will reach this goal. Would it be a new normal Pokemon game then they could reach it, but not all of those Pokemon consumers buy into Let's Go.

Y’all sleeping on Pokemon Let’s Go that’s all I’m gonna say