By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath restocked in Japan, sells out again within hours

http://gearnuke.com/octopath-travelers-new-shipment-sells-out-within-hours-in-japan-used-copy-prices-skyrocket/

Things are looking good sales-wise for Octopath. 2m+ seems inevitable now

Around the Network

that's pretty awesome that Square are left apologizing for not making enough copies to sell, seems they were really shocked at the Switch install base jumping on this and supporting their games.

Fingers crossed for more SE support in the wake of this games success, I can't imagine it not happening now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Square Enix fucked up big time on this one, hopefully sales aren't too badly damaged by the shortage.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 July 2018

If this is true for other territories and it persists, then I think 2 million may be a low estimate. It may end up closer to 3 million instead.

curl-6 said:

Square Enix fucked up big time on this one, hopefully sales aren't too badly damaged by the shortage.

I don't know, things could go either way. All the news about it selling out and shortages could also make it a more wanted item, boosting its appeal, and sales potential. Trust me, Nintendo does it all the time :p

Seriously though, I am super glad this is doing well. I have played over 40 hours (which is a feat for my limited time) and I cannot seem to be able to put it down. More games like this, SE, or even better give us that FFVI remake.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
curl-6 said:

I don't know, things could go either way. All the news about it selling out and shortages could also make it a more wanted item, boosting its appeal, and sales potential. Trust me, Nintendo does it all the time :p

Seriously though, I am super glad this is doing well. I have played over 40 hours (which is a feat for my limited time) and I cannot seem to be able to put it down. More games like this, SE, or even better give us that FFVI remake.

I'm over 80 hours at this point. This getting ridiculous. I took my car in to get serviced on Saturday morning. They were like "it's going to be 2 and half hours" usually I would have bounced. I was told the tech, It's okay. I'm prepared. I sat in the lounge playing Octopath Traveler the whole time. Then I went to get my car detailed, played Octopath Traveler while I waited. Thankfully I have certified USB-C rapid car charger for my phone. I got my Switch batter down to 30%. I went to the mall to order some contacts. By the time I got back to the car, I hid the Switch under my seat, system was already back to 70%. Went to grab a bite to eat and by the time I got home the Switch was 95% full when I plopped it back down in the dock to keep playing. I used to laugh at those ads of people playing the Switch outside, etc. I basically lived a Switch ad on Saturday. I've never played my Switch in public before. I usually only use undocked mode when I travel to home to Virginia visit family or if there is something on TV, like a UFC event, and I want watch TV and play at the same time.

Oh wow oh wow, now give us remakes of FFV and FFVI with the same art-style

Well then, looks like Mario Tennis wasn’t the killer app of the summer after all.

Going to be interesting to see what happens now after the success of Octopath Traveler

Darc Requiem said:
routsounmanman said:

I'm over 80 hours at this point. This getting ridiculous. I took my car in to get serviced on Saturday morning. They were like "it's going to be 2 and half hours" usually I would have bounced. I was told the tech, It's okay. I'm prepared. I sat in the lounge playing Octopath Traveler the whole time. Then I went to get my car detailed, played Octopath Traveler while I waited. Thankfully I have certified USB-C rapid car charger for my phone. I got my Switch batter down to 30%. I went to the mall to order some contacts. By the time I got back to the car, I hid the Switch under my seat, system was already back to 70%. Went to grab a bite to eat and by the time I got home the Switch was 95% full when I plopped it back down in the dock to keep playing. I used to laugh at those ads of people playing the Switch outside, etc. I basically lived a Switch ad on Saturday. I've never played my Switch in public before. I usually only use undocked mode when I travel to home to Virginia visit family or if there is something on TV, like a UFC event, and I want watch TV and play at the same time.

That's cool! I brought mine to work yesterday (we work 24,5 hour shifts) and played after I went to bed. For me, Octopath is kind of the perfect game for the handheld argument, it has a charming and simple visual style that only gains from the smaller display and lowered resolution and there are no technical demands causing any sort of issues at all (which is not the case with a resource hog like Zelda, for instance). However, for me the problem remains that the Switch is extremely uncomfortable to play in handheld mode. I just can't stand the ergonomics of the thing, the joy-cons are useless for me, attached or otherwise (I use a Pro controller at home) and there's just no way to wield it comfortably at all. Maybe my hands are fucked up or something. For me, the main issue was always that "big games" don't fit small screens and control schemes, but Octopath is designed to solve that in every possible aspect.

Anyway, personal anecdotes on portable gaming aside; the game is truly fantastic, I've only managed about 7 hours or so thus far, but really loving it. Great music, awesome visuals, cool combat and surprisingly engaging RPG elements (I like the in-town skills and original take on summoning and capturing beasts). I'll keep playing at home, but I will keep playing, this is easily my favorite 3rd party game on a Nintendo console for maybe a decade or more. Good job Square Enix, it turns out you still know how to make proper games even if you screwed the pooch on the FF series!