By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath restocked in Japan, sells out again within hours

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said: 

But would be funny people accusing SE of under estimating the game 

It's not even really an accusation at this point, more a matter of fact; SE undershipped the game, it's in such short supply that SE themselves have publicly come out and apologized.

When you fully quote and get the part that accusing SE of underestimating, but then overestimating... but you preffered to trim.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

It's not even really an accusation at this point, more a matter of fact; SE undershipped the game, it's in such short supply that SE themselves have publicly come out and apologized.

When you fully quote and get the part that accusing SE of underestimating, but then overestimating... but you preffered to trim.

Because I wasn't addressing the other bit, my point was simply that it's not really an "accusation" to say SE undershipped OT, more just stating a fact SE have themselves already admitted to by apologizing for shortages.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Because I wasn't addressing the other bit, my point was simply that it's not really an "accusation" to say SE undershipped OT, more just stating a fact SE have themselves already admitted to by apologizing for shortages.

Well I was joking, but ok. Yep considering they had a second shipment that finished very fast is quite clear they undershipped.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The takeaway from this should be that the JRPG audience doesn't need its games to be as elaborate as FFXV. For years SE has been focused on cut-scene heavy narrative RPGs where every character is a virtual doll. For the most part, though, we're just happy to watch the numbers go up.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I don't understand how people can say "wow Square Enix fucked up by under-shipping this!" and then follow that up with "wowzaaa this is gonna sell 3-4M !!!"
Like, is the contradiction in that not clear?

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely possible! But I'm left wondering, do we know how much has been shipped out yet? I'm sure there's some data out there, so I don't mind an education.

Nah. It is still a turn-based RPG in the now-time. It already sells great for what it is, but we shouldn't pull out outlandish predictions. With this initial success I think 2 million are possible, but still a question mark. 1.5M seems quite doable at this point, and this would still be a great milestone. 3-4M is just outlandish.

I mean, fucking Persona 5 has 1,7M on two platforms, maybe 2M counting digital. Do people really expect Octopath doubles that?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Is this only happening in Japan? Because if it is they definitely underestimate its Japanese Audience.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Is this only happening in Japan? Because if it is they definitely underestimate its Japanese Audience.

There seem to be smaller shortages in other regions, especially selling out at some retailers. But not as bad as in Japan.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It's had sporadic sell outs in Canada as well. Best Buy has nothing in stores anywhere near me, and was sold out online yesterday, though back in stock today. EB Games at one point had no stock in 90+% of its stores, and is currently sold out online. Walmart has nothing in store or online.

https://nintendosoup.com/japan-octopath-traveler-sees-large-restock-but-sells-out-in-a-day/

Restocked again, sold out again. Square is really not keeping up with this. I live in Japan and have not seen a physical copy in any of the ~20 stores I've been to since it released. I know of three other people here that just couldn't wait and downloaded it. Digital ratio will be higher for this for sure

It seems to sell out on and off on Amazon as well.

In any case, I think we will be seeing an Octopath Traveler 2 on Switch announced in the next year or so. At the very least another IP with similar appeal and properties. I would not be suprised if Nintendo put for the money for a sequel to keep it Switch exclusive as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261