By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Yeah, lemme see here: I own 168 retail PS4 games as of right now. That's not including Digital only games or indies.

Of those 168:

27 of them are games I only have physically and never replaced (mostly old games and Battlefield/Call of Duty/Destiny games)
57 of them are games I bought physically then eventually also picked up digital versions after my conversion
83 of them are games I got digitally and don't have a physical copy of them.
1 game is Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which I got a physical copy on PS5 but only have a digital copy on Ps4.

So yeah, I went from being staunchly physical only to...that. And while I do plan on picking up a handful of those physical only games digitally (mostly just exclusives I wanna pick up for the sake of having them but likely won't play), that's a pretty fair balance.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Eagle367 said:

Wait you are fine with a double standard? I get it if it was consistent across the board. But why is digital getting something physical isn't? 

Absolutely! when you're in the lead you can get away with stupid shit. IF anyone else put out controllers with drift at the rate of the Nintendo Switch, that company would be eviscerated. But since Nintendo software is selling remarkably well, they get away with it. With Sony kicking so much ass, they can get away with charging more for their next-gen games because people keep buying them. the games are worth it. I'm not saying I LIKE it, but I am saying it's not as big a deal as you think considering the games are still gonna sell like hotcakes and most people don't give a shit about cross-gen entitlement. 

MOST gamers sell their old consoles and don't care if they get double copies. Believe it or not, more and more people are getting digital games and only get the collector's editions because they want the cool shit. I think that, while it's a weird decision, the biggest collector's edition with the PS4 and PS5 digital copies and all the pyhsical stuff is exactly what I Want. I know I'm a minority, but I'm specifically looking for an edition that has cool collectible shit and digital copies because over the past 2-3 years I've been steadily replacing my physical copies with digital ones...I've not used a disc in my PS (aside from Blu-Rays) since I think 2017 or 2018. 

Again, I know I'm the minority, but it's fair to say the people who want the super hyper ultra mega collection edition are going to be similar to me. 

Do I think it's a bad precedent? Yah. I never cared for digital only physical editions, but as time goes on I accepted years ago that it may very well be the future. digital is taking more and more of the pie, PC gamers haven't regularly had physical copies for decades it seems, and I don't see a problem with companies experimenting with different ways to balance the hardcore with the casual and the collectors. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I kinda hope it doesn't work and they add the disc or something, because it's clear that people are upset about it. 

Point is, things change. Companies will always be trying to find ways to save money and do different things. some things work, some things don't. It's all about how it's presented. Like I said, I don't LIKE this, but I'm not entitled enough to think I Get to decide what Guerilla and Sony get to do. they offer me what they want, and I can either take it or leave it. The market will dictate itself. 

IT's the same reason I don't hate Loot boxes and microtransactions like some people do. I have less than zero interest in participating and will avoid games that include it, but if they keep selling....sorry, that's where the market leads it. IF Fifa makes 11 billion a year of Loot boxes...then that's between EA and Fifa players. I won't bother. Clearly it's a good business model if it keeps working and making money. 

I'm ranting. sorry. Bottom line, yeah I think double standards are fine in some circumstances, and while I don't like all of this the decisions aren't as egregious as many people are acting. 

Bristow9091 said:

Meh, I'll be buying a physical copy on PS5 anyway, no need for me to buy cross-gen games on PS4 these days lol

Yeah, I got the digital one and will be getting a steelbook if I can. I've decided that, aside from a handful of collectors items, I'm probably going to go almost all digital this generation. I stopped having interest in lending games, the disc drive just uses up more power to spin it, there's a higher risk of damaging the games, and I like being able to happily download to hard drives at will. I thought I'd be a last bastion of sticking to physical copies, but in the latter half of the Ps4's life, I realized that digital was way more convenient and have been slowly replacing all my games digitally. 

Of the 175 or so retail games I have on Ps4 (holy shit, that's a record for a single console by a WIDE margin), like 25 of them are physical only. About half of them I own both physically and digitally (got them physically then replaced them as time went on), whereas the rest are digital only (picked them up on sale). 

Instant delivery without having to give Amazon or Gamestop money, the ability to have TWO copies of any game (if I have it on both consoles, I can use my main account on Ps5 and use my friend's account on PS4 and we can play Dark souls together, for example) no chance of scratches or damage, etc. And again, the only benefits I cared about were the physical image on my shelf and the ability to lend to friends. Now that I no longer lend out (too many of my games never came back) and I Really only care about collector's editions...

Once again I'm rambling. you get the point, I'm sure. 

I also don't see myself ever playing Forbidden West on PS4. I got the version that came with the PS4 version, but why would I care if I have a PS5? 

Well as someone who primarily plays on Nintendo consoles, I'm not at all alright with joycon drift and I will criticize them for it any day of the week. I don't need to make any excuses for them in this regard. I don't really care how much ninty sells in this regard because the issue is something else entirely. It's wrong to purposefully leave that issue in your controller. It's wrong and it shouldn't happen. Since I can be consistent with my criticisms of any company, even my favourite ones, I can say for sure what Sony is doing is wrong and it shouldn't happen. Ultimately these are corporations and I am a pro consumer and pro worker guy so I will always defend workers and consumers against these giants. What Nintendo does with joycons is wrong and what Sony is doing with this is wrong. It's sorta exploitative of their fanbase.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Runa216 said:

Absolutely! when you're in the lead you can get away with stupid shit. IF anyone else put out controllers with drift at the rate of the Nintendo Switch, that company would be eviscerated. But since Nintendo software is selling remarkably well, they get away with it. With Sony kicking so much ass, they can get away with charging more for their next-gen games because people keep buying them. the games are worth it. I'm not saying I LIKE it, but I am saying it's not as big a deal as you think considering the games are still gonna sell like hotcakes and most people don't give a shit about cross-gen entitlement. 

MOST gamers sell their old consoles and don't care if they get double copies. Believe it or not, more and more people are getting digital games and only get the collector's editions because they want the cool shit. I think that, while it's a weird decision, the biggest collector's edition with the PS4 and PS5 digital copies and all the pyhsical stuff is exactly what I Want. I know I'm a minority, but I'm specifically looking for an edition that has cool collectible shit and digital copies because over the past 2-3 years I've been steadily replacing my physical copies with digital ones...I've not used a disc in my PS (aside from Blu-Rays) since I think 2017 or 2018. 

Again, I know I'm the minority, but it's fair to say the people who want the super hyper ultra mega collection edition are going to be similar to me. 

Do I think it's a bad precedent? Yah. I never cared for digital only physical editions, but as time goes on I accepted years ago that it may very well be the future. digital is taking more and more of the pie, PC gamers haven't regularly had physical copies for decades it seems, and I don't see a problem with companies experimenting with different ways to balance the hardcore with the casual and the collectors. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I kinda hope it doesn't work and they add the disc or something, because it's clear that people are upset about it. 

Point is, things change. Companies will always be trying to find ways to save money and do different things. some things work, some things don't. It's all about how it's presented. Like I said, I don't LIKE this, but I'm not entitled enough to think I Get to decide what Guerilla and Sony get to do. they offer me what they want, and I can either take it or leave it. The market will dictate itself. 

IT's the same reason I don't hate Loot boxes and microtransactions like some people do. I have less than zero interest in participating and will avoid games that include it, but if they keep selling....sorry, that's where the market leads it. IF Fifa makes 11 billion a year of Loot boxes...then that's between EA and Fifa players. I won't bother. Clearly it's a good business model if it keeps working and making money. 

I'm ranting. sorry. Bottom line, yeah I think double standards are fine in some circumstances, and while I don't like all of this the decisions aren't as egregious as many people are acting. 

Bristow9091 said:

Meh, I'll be buying a physical copy on PS5 anyway, no need for me to buy cross-gen games on PS4 these days lol

Yeah, I got the digital one and will be getting a steelbook if I can. I've decided that, aside from a handful of collectors items, I'm probably going to go almost all digital this generation. I stopped having interest in lending games, the disc drive just uses up more power to spin it, there's a higher risk of damaging the games, and I like being able to happily download to hard drives at will. I thought I'd be a last bastion of sticking to physical copies, but in the latter half of the Ps4's life, I realized that digital was way more convenient and have been slowly replacing all my games digitally. 

Of the 175 or so retail games I have on Ps4 (holy shit, that's a record for a single console by a WIDE margin), like 25 of them are physical only. About half of them I own both physically and digitally (got them physically then replaced them as time went on), whereas the rest are digital only (picked them up on sale). 

Instant delivery without having to give Amazon or Gamestop money, the ability to have TWO copies of any game (if I have it on both consoles, I can use my main account on Ps5 and use my friend's account on PS4 and we can play Dark souls together, for example) no chance of scratches or damage, etc. And again, the only benefits I cared about were the physical image on my shelf and the ability to lend to friends. Now that I no longer lend out (too many of my games never came back) and I Really only care about collector's editions...

Once again I'm rambling. you get the point, I'm sure. 

I also don't see myself ever playing Forbidden West on PS4. I got the version that came with the PS4 version, but why would I care if I have a PS5? 

Well as someone who primarily plays on Nintendo consoles, I'm not at all alright with joycon drift and I will criticize them for it any day of the week. I don't need to make any excuses for them in this regard. I don't really care how much ninty sells in this regard because the issue is something else entirely. It's wrong to purposefully leave that issue in your controller. It's wrong and it shouldn't happen. Since I can be consistent with my criticisms of any company, even my favourite ones, I can say for sure what Sony is doing is wrong and it shouldn't happen. Ultimately these are corporations and I am a pro consumer and pro worker guy so I will always defend workers and consumers against these giants. What Nintendo does with joycons is wrong and what Sony is doing with this is wrong. It's sorta exploitative of their fanbase.

And yet you did buy Switch right? So you may mouth here all you want, but since you put the money in the product instead of punishing the company, for them you have approved of what they did. Same with people complaining about PS5 games being 70 USD but still buying it anyway, or CoD being yearly and buying it, etc. Companies would care more if it did hit their pockets.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TallSilhouette said:

Won't say the name of the culprit, but he would say that isn't instantaneous "no loading", sony is lying to us.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Not a big fan of the HFW 'upgrade' system as presented here. Do I have it right that $80 is digital deluxe only? So $60 for PS4, $70 for PS5, and $80 (along with the other deluxe extra's) for both?

What happened to the $10 upgrade from a PS4 hard copy (plus downloadable necessary extra's) to basically a PS5 hard copy?

So will the base PS4 HFW copy offer 4k/60 when played on PS5 like other base games being partially upgraded for free? That I might be able to live with. Otherwise it's waiting until the PS4 hard copy drops to around $40, then buying the PS5 hard copy when it's $40 or less, spending the same overall anyway.

I've mentioned before there's some games I've gotten on sale prior that were so good I felt it was only right to pay full price for any DLC, as well as buy the next game from that studio for full launch price, etc. However, with what SNY is doing here, how am I supposed to accomplish that? I'm not paying $80 for a digital deluxe version, but I would hesitantly pay $80 for a hard copy deluxe version. Though I will also say it would even my felt 'debt' out much quicker this way, because I'd much rather just buy the base PS4 copy at full price, then upgrade for $10 since I don't really care about the other upsell deluxe extra's.

Common now SNY. GOT upgrade and DLC was set up great in comparison to this and I was totally on board with that. I can only hope SNY is partially offering things this way to make the GOT upgrade path look reasonable in comparison, as it was already, so they can potentially backtrack to that upgrade system for any future games.

This for me is a step too far SNY.

Lastly, instead of $80 for either a PS4 or PS5 hard copy, I'd possibly even settle for the special edition if they offered the PS4 and PS5 version discs in that steelbook for $90.

DonFerrari said:
Eagle367 said:

And yet you did buy Switch right? So you may mouth here all you want, but since you put the money in the product instead of punishing the company, for them you have approved of what they did. Same with people complaining about PS5 games being 70 USD but still buying it anyway, or CoD being yearly and buying it, etc. Companies would care more if it did hit their pockets.

Nah I don't buy this nonsense about boycotting things. For one, I bought my switch before drifting was discovered to be an issue. For another, it's not big enough of a reason to not buy the switch. But the most important reason is that the problem these companies get away with these things is because of the system they operate in. Systems don't change from arbitrary boycotts. I won't get too much into it but it's about more than just gaming, it's about the fundamental flaws of the systems that corporations operate under.

Boycotts only work if they are planned, large scale and have the backing of the general audience. Otherwise they are as meaningless as the so called pokemon boycott or the Nike boycotts. And I don't think I have enough energy or time to create a  movement to boycott video game companies over these things. 

You can criticize systems while participating in them. There's nothing hypocritical about it. We all participate in systems that are broken or bad but you have to function in society. Criticisms and protests and calling out wrongs is a part of that. Otherwise only 2 things can happen: the systems don't change or actively get worse or you can go live life like a hermit. 

There's a lot more serious things that I have issues with other than gaming companies. The critique you laid out is the same that bad faith actors on those more serious issues lay out though. It's just a very stupid critique to make.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

EricHiggin said:

Not a big fan of the HFW 'upgrade' system as presented here. Do I have it right that $80 is digital deluxe only? So $60 for PS4, $70 for PS5, and $80 (along with the other deluxe extra's) for both?

What happened to the $10 upgrade from a PS4 hard copy (plus downloadable necessary extra's) to basically a PS5 hard copy?

So will the base PS4 HFW copy offer 4k/60 when played on PS5 like other base games being partially upgraded for free? That I might be able to live with. Otherwise it's waiting until the PS4 hard copy drops to around $40, then buying the PS5 hard copy when it's $40 or less, spending the same overall anyway.

I've mentioned before there's some games I've gotten on sale prior that were so good I felt it was only right to pay full price for any DLC, as well as buy the next game from that studio for full launch price, etc. However, with what SNY is doing here, how am I supposed to accomplish that? I'm not paying $80 for a digital deluxe version, but I would hesitantly pay $80 for a hard copy deluxe version. Though I will also say it would even my felt 'debt' out much quicker this way, because I'd much rather just buy the base PS4 copy at full price, then upgrade for $10 since I don't really care about the other upsell deluxe extra's.

Common now SNY. GOT upgrade and DLC was set up great in comparison to this and I was totally on board with that. I can only hope SNY is partially offering things this way to make the GOT upgrade path look reasonable in comparison, as it was already, so they can potentially backtrack to that upgrade system for any future games.

This for me is a step too far SNY.

Lastly, instead of $80 for either a PS4 or PS5 hard copy, I'd possibly even settle for the special edition if they offered the PS4 and PS5 version discs in that steelbook for $90.

It makes no sense. I guess they're slowly trying to wein audiences away from the entitlement of cross gen purchases.

Miles Morales= free (excluding Spiderman remaster) 
Ghost of Tsushima = $10 
Horizon Zero Dawn =$20 or no upgrade path depending on how you want to look at it

Its clear though the mess is all about them trying to lock in & makes sense of the $10 additional revenue they get from PS5 software.

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

The Standard and Special Editions are either PS4 only or PS5 only.

The Digital Deluxe, Collector's and Regalla Editions contain both versions.

My head cannon is that Sony perhaps doesn't want ppl to buy the PS4 version at a discounted price and then upgrading. Or, that it's possible to borrow your friend's copy of the PS4 disc to get a PS5 upgrade, so they see themselves losing out on money.

Either way, I think it's gross. I understand the reasoning behind an upgrade fee and have no issues with such a scheme. But to not offer it is just something else entirely. The best possible outcome is that they merge the Standard and Special Editions while keeping the Standard edition price. 

Regardless, this makes the game an absolute no-buy at launch for me. 

Yeah, it's a complicated issue. Like, I know why people are upset - the precedent has been made and this kinda breaks it - but I also understand why Sony is doing what its doing since circumstances change and you can't give away free shit all the time and people HAVE been abusing the systems. Like, Free upgrades are great for consumers but bad for publishers/developers. Paid upgrades are a decent balance, and no upgrades is unfortunate for consumers but definitely better for the publishers/developers (short term, anyway; long term it can and likely will hurt their image). Again, though, this generation is one of the only times this sort of thing could even be an argument. Prior generations, you'd be forced to get the new game. Period. Fullstop. Hell, even on the Switch you had to re-buy games you owned on WiiU. Granted, a lot of that was becauseof hardware and software limitations, but again it's not like free upgrades is by any means the norm.

Also, I think y'all need to reread the press release (or maybe I do), because when I Read it, I understood there were no plans to upgrade to the digital deluxe edition, not that there were no plans to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 edition. I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything in there about how there's no plans to allow people to upgrade from the PS4 to PS5 version. 

And assuming that IS the case, what's wrong with making it an additional incentive to get the Digital Deluxe or Collector's edition? I mean, it sold me on it. I was on the fence about getting it right now, but then I saw that the Digital Deluxe edition got me both copies and instantly I was like 'aight, sold!' I know a lot of people don't like that sort of thing...but if you gotta get one of the more expensive versions to get both versions of the game...I don't see that as a problem. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Some hype for the PS event next week.. David Jaffe's (GoW designer) sources say that GoW: Ragnarok is aiming to be 40 hours. Skip to the 2:50 mark -

Rumor so take with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 September 2021