By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

hinch said:

Some hype for the PS event next week.. David Jaffe's (GoW designer) sources say that GoW: Ragnarok is aiming to be 40 hours. Skip to the 2:50 mark -

Rumor so take with a pinch of salt.

Honestly length doesn't move me too much. I'm happy to play for as long as the narrative continues progressing. If thats a super gripping 25hours, I'll be happy with that. I thought TLOU2 was too long for example, and FFVIIR had some unnecessary bloated

Around the Network

Yeah I'm not too fussed about by a games length. As long as its fun and entertaining and enough to keep me interested enough to finish the thing. And agreed that not all games need to be that long, and about TLOU 2 - that was too long and stretched out. This is GoW though! a lot of us have been waiting years for this.. and more is what i want lol.

Also that I just didn't want another smaller, expansion-like game like Miles Morales

Bandorr said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/04/pre-order-horizon-forbidden-west-now-collectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Hope they re-bundle Ghost of T and remove the "$20" expansion pack.

I don't know if i I even want the game let me pay $10 and try out the dual sense THEN decide if I want to pay another $20 for the content.

I figured this would happen. I highly disagree with you about the Ghost of Tsushima upgrade, though. Like...it's an expansion pack and the PS5 version IS the expanded version. It's still better than Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, which has a similarly sized expansion but you're forced to re-buy the whole game from Scratch. 

Sony is the middle ground here between Nintendo's Baffling business decisions and Microsoft's user-friendly but exclusive-free mentality. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

They did say it was a free upgrade before so they couldn't really back out of it. Happy that they made it free but also can't help feel annoyed that this is actually a thing. Reselling games with a DLC and some tweaks at full price is something you'd see Nintendo do. This isn't so bad but still..

Can't help feel this was a poor move by them.. though by them addressing this they now they have set out some sort of structure to the whole upgrade thing for crossgen games. I mean it won't affect me since I own a PS5 and next few crossgen games I'll buy will be on there. This will surely be better than random pricing for PS4>PS5 versions they had going on.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 September 2021

hinch said:

Yeah I'm not too fussed about by a games length. As long as its fun and entertaining and enough to keep me interested enough to finish the thing. And agreed that not all games need to be that long, and about TLOU 2 - that was too long and stretched out. This is GoW though! a lot of us have been waiting years for this.. and more is what i want lol.

Also that I just didn't want another smaller, expansion-like game like Miles Morales

Yeah it's natural for GOW to be a meatier experience. 

Around the Network

Regarding the upgrade path, being entitled & complaining does work sometimes ;)

At least they've listened and done the right thing this time. And this upgrade solution is a much better than what they had before.

Still don't agree with the small upgrade fee, but it is what it is.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 September 2021

I am glad they reversed the upgrade nonsense (least for Horizon). It would have been like charging an upgrade fee to change from low graphics settings to high graphics settings on PC. This is why I like when people criticize nonsense behaviour because there's always a chance it will get reversed. Now the hype can really begin!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Otter said:
EricHiggin said:

Not a big fan of the HFW 'upgrade' system as presented here. Do I have it right that $80 is digital deluxe only? So $60 for PS4, $70 for PS5, and $80 (along with the other deluxe extra's) for both?

What happened to the $10 upgrade from a PS4 hard copy (plus downloadable necessary extra's) to basically a PS5 hard copy?

So will the base PS4 HFW copy offer 4k/60 when played on PS5 like other base games being partially upgraded for free? That I might be able to live with. Otherwise it's waiting until the PS4 hard copy drops to around $40, then buying the PS5 hard copy when it's $40 or less, spending the same overall anyway.

I've mentioned before there's some games I've gotten on sale prior that were so good I felt it was only right to pay full price for any DLC, as well as buy the next game from that studio for full launch price, etc. However, with what SNY is doing here, how am I supposed to accomplish that? I'm not paying $80 for a digital deluxe version, but I would hesitantly pay $80 for a hard copy deluxe version. Though I will also say it would even my felt 'debt' out much quicker this way, because I'd much rather just buy the base PS4 copy at full price, then upgrade for $10 since I don't really care about the other upsell deluxe extra's.

Common now SNY. GOT upgrade and DLC was set up great in comparison to this and I was totally on board with that. I can only hope SNY is partially offering things this way to make the GOT upgrade path look reasonable in comparison, as it was already, so they can potentially backtrack to that upgrade system for any future games.

This for me is a step too far SNY.

Lastly, instead of $80 for either a PS4 or PS5 hard copy, I'd possibly even settle for the special edition if they offered the PS4 and PS5 version discs in that steelbook for $90.

It makes no sense. I guess they're slowly trying to wein audiences away from the entitlement of cross gen purchases.

Miles Morales= free (excluding Spiderman remaster) 
Ghost of Tsushima = $10 
Horizon Zero Dawn =$20 or no upgrade path depending on how you want to look at it

Its clear though the mess is all about them trying to lock in & makes sense of the $10 additional revenue they get from PS5 software.

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

Not a big fan of the HFW 'upgrade' system as presented here. Do I have it right that $80 is digital deluxe only? So $60 for PS4, $70 for PS5, and $80 (along with the other deluxe extra's) for both?

The Standard and Special Editions are either PS4 only or PS5 only.

The Digital Deluxe, Collector's and Regalla Editions contain both versions.

My head cannon is that Sony perhaps doesn't want ppl to buy the PS4 version at a discounted price and then upgrading. Or, that it's possible to borrow your friend's copy of the PS4 disc to get a PS5 upgrade, so they see themselves losing out on money.

Either way, I think it's gross. I understand the reasoning behind an upgrade fee and have no issues with such a scheme. But to not offer it is just something else entirely. The best possible outcome is that they merge the Standard and Special Editions while keeping the Standard edition price. 

Regardless, this makes the game an absolute no-buy at launch for me. 

Runa216 said:
twintail said:

The Standard and Special Editions are either PS4 only or PS5 only.

The Digital Deluxe, Collector's and Regalla Editions contain both versions.

My head cannon is that Sony perhaps doesn't want ppl to buy the PS4 version at a discounted price and then upgrading. Or, that it's possible to borrow your friend's copy of the PS4 disc to get a PS5 upgrade, so they see themselves losing out on money.

Either way, I think it's gross. I understand the reasoning behind an upgrade fee and have no issues with such a scheme. But to not offer it is just something else entirely. The best possible outcome is that they merge the Standard and Special Editions while keeping the Standard edition price. 

Regardless, this makes the game an absolute no-buy at launch for me. 

Yeah, it's a complicated issue. Like, I know why people are upset - the precedent has been made and this kinda breaks it - but I also understand why Sony is doing what its doing since circumstances change and you can't give away free shit all the time and people HAVE been abusing the systems. Like, Free upgrades are great for consumers but bad for publishers/developers. Paid upgrades are a decent balance, and no upgrades is unfortunate for consumers but definitely better for the publishers/developers (short term, anyway; long term it can and likely will hurt their image). Again, though, this generation is one of the only times this sort of thing could even be an argument. Prior generations, you'd be forced to get the new game. Period. Fullstop. Hell, even on the Switch you had to re-buy games you owned on WiiU. Granted, a lot of that was becauseof hardware and software limitations, but again it's not like free upgrades is by any means the norm.

Also, I think y'all need to reread the press release (or maybe I do), because when I Read it, I understood there were no plans to upgrade to the digital deluxe edition, not that there were no plans to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 edition. I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything in there about how there's no plans to allow people to upgrade from the PS4 to PS5 version. 

And assuming that IS the case, what's wrong with making it an additional incentive to get the Digital Deluxe or Collector's edition? I mean, it sold me on it. I was on the fence about getting it right now, but then I saw that the Digital Deluxe edition got me both copies and instantly I was like 'aight, sold!' I know a lot of people don't like that sort of thing...but if you gotta get one of the more expensive versions to get both versions of the game...I don't see that as a problem. 

Well folks, here you have it. Free though? WTF SNY? LOL. I mean, hard to complain here, but $10 to upgrade from the PS4 Standard Edition to PS5 would have sufficed. Now most who know and care about the free upgrade will likely buy the PS4 version, besides the hardcore perhaps. Assuming SNY can easily eat this financial loss it looks good on them, but they didn't have to do a full 180.

Glad to see going forward they will be using the $10 upgrade path though. That makes way too much sense for those who don't want the extra's and don't want to be forced into full digital copies. Buy a PS4 (hard) copy, and even if you didn't realize there was an upgrade available, now you can easily just pay the $10 fee down the road and get all the PS5 goodness.

The question for me now, is due to a little negativity towards the $10 upgrade path earlier with GOT, did SNY purposely go too far here? That way the $10 upgrade option now makes way more sense, in which they could revert to like they have? Maybe, maybe not, but they made the right moves in the end anyway.

Lots of options for everyone from the Standard Editions to the top of the stack now for HFW, and all exclusive cross gen games going forward. Nice!

Side note. Now wasn't there a thread not to long ago about blind loyalty to corporations as well as another about GOT and how terrible the upgrade path was? I remember making the point about how many gamers, including myself, would call out SNY when they've gone too far and that SNY would likely listen. Mostly since the fans aren't complaining about everything all the time, just when things go too far or just don't make sense period. This HFW situation is the perfect example of how SNY is clearly willing to be reasonable with fans and consumers, mega corporation or not.

EricHiggin said:

Well folks, here you have it. Free though? WTF SNY? LOL. I mean, hard to complain here, but $10 to upgrade from the PS4 Standard Edition to PS5 would have sufficed. Now most who know and care about the free upgrade will likely buy the PS4 version, besides the hardcore perhaps. Assuming SNY can easily eat this financial loss it looks good on them, but they didn't have to do a full 180.

Glad to see going forward they will be using the $10 upgrade path though. That makes way too much sense for those who don't want the extra's and don't want to be forced into full digital copies. Buy a PS4 (hard) copy, and even if you didn't realize there was an upgrade available, now you can easily just pay the $10 fee down the road and get all the PS5 goodness.

The question for me now, is due to a little negativity towards the $10 upgrade path earlier with GOT, did SNY purposely go too far here? That way the $10 upgrade option now makes way more sense, in which they could revert to like they have? Maybe, maybe not, but they made the right moves in the end anyway.

Lots of options for everyone from the Standard Editions to the top of the stack now for HFW, and all exclusive cross gen games going forward. Nice!

Side note. Now wasn't there a thread not to long ago about blind loyalty to corporations as well as another about GOT and how terrible the upgrade path was? I remember making the point about how many gamers, including myself, would call out SNY when they've gone too far and that SNY would likely listen. Mostly since the fans aren't complaining about everything all the time, just when things go too far or just don't make sense period. This HFW situation is the perfect example of how SNY is clearly willing to be reasonable with fans and consumers, mega corporation or not.

I think in this instance they had to make it free because its what they already promised back in 2020. I don't think sony should be praised for keeping their word only after being called out on lying to consumers. Its not reasonable IMO, its the bare minimum one should expect from a company. Literally nothing happened for them to create this shit show other than someone in HQ thinking they could squeeze a few more coins from their loyal audience.

"The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive," This was back in 2020 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/horizon_forbidden_west_is_coming_to_both_ps5_and_ps4

Edit: Actually it was the pushsquare article that claimed Horizon would benefit from the PS5 upgrade path originally "As noted on the PlayStation Blog, these three games 
(Horizon, Miles, Sackboy) will benefit from a PS5 upgrade path"...

The actual full quote from Sony only specifies launch titles

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

Although lumped together with the rest Horizon wasn't a launch game, so my mistake, I guess sony didn't go against their word from how I would read it. But Sony themselves acknowledges that they were including Horizon when they referred to said "launch" games. Weird use of the word "launch game". But yeah, they made their bed...

Last edited by Otter - on 05 September 2021