By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Very nice! I was going to double dip next Steam sale for 60 fps.

Now I don't have to.

Around the Network
Conina said:

Very nice! I was going to double dip next Steam sale for 60 fps.

Now I don't have to.

Well, maybe in near future they may put DLSS and even more bells and whistles on the PC version =] but at that time you can buy it cheaper as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1433406942890930177?s=20

This is encouraging!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1433406942890930177?s=20

This is encouraging!

Nice a new PS event a week away from now!

Been kinda dead in here with new news, and 40 minutes 'showcase' sounds like its going to be a big one.

And Horizon: The Forbidden West just came open for pre-orders. I know entitled gamers like to bemoan preorders, but after how great the last game was...well, I think it's fair to assume this will be good.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/02/pre-order-horizon-forbidden-west-now-collectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

Looks like that 'free' update for Horizon Zero Dawn isn't so for people who own it on disc. its only for the Digital Deluxe edition. What are you doing Sony.. >_>

"This digital-only package includes both the PS5 and PS4 versions of Forbidden West, unlike the standard versions, which are separate purchases. As well as access to both versions of the game, the Digital Deluxe Edition includes two outfits, two weapons, an in-game resources pack, an Apex Clawstrider Strike Piece (we don't know either), an additional photo mode pose and face paint, digital art book, soundtrack, and digital graphic novel, The Sunhawk."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/horizon_forbidden_west_ps5_ps4_pre-orders_live_now_special_editions_detailed

hinch said:

Looks like that 'free' update for Horizon Zero Dawn isn't so for people who own it on disc. its only for the Digital Deluxe edition. What are you doing Sony.. >_>

"This digital-only package includes both the PS5 and PS4 versions of Forbidden West, unlike the standard versions, which are separate purchases. As well as access to both versions of the game, the Digital Deluxe Edition includes two outfits, two weapons, an in-game resources pack, an Apex Clawstrider Strike Piece (we don't know either), an additional photo mode pose and face paint, digital art book, soundtrack, and digital graphic novel, The Sunhawk."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/horizon_forbidden_west_ps5_ps4_pre-orders_live_now_special_editions_detailed

I don't see what the big deal is. Eventually, you gotta swap over, I feel. it's NICE that they offered free upgrades and I do think it'd be nice to keep up with the cross-gen stuff for a while...but honestly? I don't see this as a big deal. This is exactly what I expected to happen since day one and it's well within their rights. 

I do think it's weird for Sony to be charging more AND charging for upgrades AND locking some cross-gen stuff off...when Xbox isn't doing that, but we'll see how it pans out. 

I got the Digital Deluxe Edition, because of course I did. I'm a pathetic simp for Aloy. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Can't say I agree with this. All of this can be done with a patch. It is what it is and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth in buying a game and not being supported. Like not even a upgrade path is frankly quite shitty tbh.

Grats on your purchase though!

Last edited by hinch - on 02 September 2021

Runa216 said:
hinch said:

I don't see what the big deal is. Eventually, you gotta swap over, I feel. it's NICE that they offered free upgrades and I do think it'd be nice to keep up with the cross-gen stuff for a while...but honestly? I don't see this as a big deal. This is exactly what I expected to happen since day one and it's well within their rights. 

I do think it's weird for Sony to be charging more AND charging for upgrades AND locking some cross-gen stuff off...when Xbox isn't doing that, but we'll see how it pans out. 

I got the Digital Deluxe Edition, because of course I did. I'm a pathetic simp for Aloy. 

Wait you are fine with a double standard? I get it if it was consistent across the board. But why is digital getting something physical isn't? 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Runa216 said:

Wait you are fine with a double standard? I get it if it was consistent across the board. But why is digital getting something physical isn't? 

Absolutely! when you're in the lead you can get away with stupid shit. IF anyone else put out controllers with drift at the rate of the Nintendo Switch, that company would be eviscerated. But since Nintendo software is selling remarkably well, they get away with it. With Sony kicking so much ass, they can get away with charging more for their next-gen games because people keep buying them. the games are worth it. I'm not saying I LIKE it, but I am saying it's not as big a deal as you think considering the games are still gonna sell like hotcakes and most people don't give a shit about cross-gen entitlement. 

MOST gamers sell their old consoles and don't care if they get double copies. Believe it or not, more and more people are getting digital games and only get the collector's editions because they want the cool shit. I think that, while it's a weird decision, the biggest collector's edition with the PS4 and PS5 digital copies and all the pyhsical stuff is exactly what I Want. I know I'm a minority, but I'm specifically looking for an edition that has cool collectible shit and digital copies because over the past 2-3 years I've been steadily replacing my physical copies with digital ones...I've not used a disc in my PS (aside from Blu-Rays) since I think 2017 or 2018. 

Again, I know I'm the minority, but it's fair to say the people who want the super hyper ultra mega collection edition are going to be similar to me. 

Do I think it's a bad precedent? Yah. I never cared for digital only physical editions, but as time goes on I accepted years ago that it may very well be the future. digital is taking more and more of the pie, PC gamers haven't regularly had physical copies for decades it seems, and I don't see a problem with companies experimenting with different ways to balance the hardcore with the casual and the collectors. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I kinda hope it doesn't work and they add the disc or something, because it's clear that people are upset about it. 

Point is, things change. Companies will always be trying to find ways to save money and do different things. some things work, some things don't. It's all about how it's presented. Like I said, I don't LIKE this, but I'm not entitled enough to think I Get to decide what Guerilla and Sony get to do. they offer me what they want, and I can either take it or leave it. The market will dictate itself. 

IT's the same reason I don't hate Loot boxes and microtransactions like some people do. I have less than zero interest in participating and will avoid games that include it, but if they keep selling....sorry, that's where the market leads it. IF Fifa makes 11 billion a year of Loot boxes...then that's between EA and Fifa players. I won't bother. Clearly it's a good business model if it keeps working and making money. 

I'm ranting. sorry. Bottom line, yeah I think double standards are fine in some circumstances, and while I don't like all of this the decisions aren't as egregious as many people are acting. 

Bristow9091 said:

Meh, I'll be buying a physical copy on PS5 anyway, no need for me to buy cross-gen games on PS4 these days lol

Yeah, I got the digital one and will be getting a steelbook if I can. I've decided that, aside from a handful of collectors items, I'm probably going to go almost all digital this generation. I stopped having interest in lending games, the disc drive just uses up more power to spin it, there's a higher risk of damaging the games, and I like being able to happily download to hard drives at will. I thought I'd be a last bastion of sticking to physical copies, but in the latter half of the Ps4's life, I realized that digital was way more convenient and have been slowly replacing all my games digitally. 

Of the 175 or so retail games I have on Ps4 (holy shit, that's a record for a single console by a WIDE margin), like 25 of them are physical only. About half of them I own both physically and digitally (got them physically then replaced them as time went on), whereas the rest are digital only (picked them up on sale). 

Instant delivery without having to give Amazon or Gamestop money, the ability to have TWO copies of any game (if I have it on both consoles, I can use my main account on Ps5 and use my friend's account on PS4 and we can play Dark souls together, for example) no chance of scratches or damage, etc. And again, the only benefits I cared about were the physical image on my shelf and the ability to lend to friends. Now that I no longer lend out (too many of my games never came back) and I Really only care about collector's editions...

Once again I'm rambling. you get the point, I'm sure. 

I also don't see myself ever playing Forbidden West on PS4. I got the version that came with the PS4 version, but why would I care if I have a PS5? 

Last edited by Runa216 - on 02 September 2021

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX