By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

sundin13 said:

I see no issue with casting a woman as a trans man. While casting a trans man would be more accurate, there simply aren't any big name trans actors. While the argument certainly is valid that there won't be big name trans actors until you start casting them, that is not the responsibility of any one movie and as such I don't think this movie is deserving of any more outrage than Mission Impossible or Jurassic World.

As for her not actually looking like the person she is portraying, this happens literally all the time. There are countless examples of this in which no one batted an eye.

As with GitS, I am far more disappointment that they chose a shite director (or at least a bland and uninteresting one) to helm the project than I am at the casting of a solid actor like ScarJo.

Oh yes, forget an accurate portrayal, let's just cast somebody who doesn't remotely fit the part because they're popular. 

Because it worked so well for GitS and Exodus.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Get woke and go broke is a very apt and objectively true meme that is in right now and I think it sums up my response to this thread. Companies are waking up to this and not giving into public (vocal minority) outrage, the media world is a changing once more.

Ha! If they were to unnecessarily shoehorn a minority actor/actress into a franchise and that were to cause backlash, I'm sure you'd hold the same opinion about companies not giving into vocal minority outrage. Am I right?

Last edited by Moren - on 08 July 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Isn't the point of being an actor to play something you're not?

No. That definition is deeply flaughed. A 6 year old kid can't play the role of a maniacal serial killer. He can try, but he would fail miserably. And that's basically him playing something he is not. So your point of view of imvalin. 

The goal of an actor is to play a role effectively and convincingly. And to do so requires actor to be the same gender, race, and age of the character. A 6"4 black dude with six packs can't play a teenage Asian school girl no matter how good an actor he is. 

She can play whoever she wants to play, and if a trans actor wants the part they'll have to earn it.

Last edited by Azuren - on 08 July 2018

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

KManX89 said:
sundin13 said:

I see no issue with casting a woman as a trans man. While casting a trans man would be more accurate, there simply aren't any big name trans actors. While the argument certainly is valid that there won't be big name trans actors until you start casting them, that is not the responsibility of any one movie and as such I don't think this movie is deserving of any more outrage than Mission Impossible or Jurassic World.

As for her not actually looking like the person she is portraying, this happens literally all the time. There are countless examples of this in which no one batted an eye.

As with GitS, I am far more disappointment that they chose a shite director (or at least a bland and uninteresting one) to helm the project than I am at the casting of a solid actor like ScarJo.

Oh yes, forget an accurate portrayal, let's just cast somebody who doesn't remotely fit the part because they're popular. 

Because it worked so well for GitS and Exodus.

If only those weren't the only two movies to ever be made.

Its a shame, you'd think after 100 years of cinema there would be more than two movies.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
KLAMarine said:
So is she playing a man-turned-woman or woman-turned-man? I don't understand!

She is playing as a woman who turns into a man. So she is playing the right gender for the role but OP's probably is Scarlett looks too feminine and sexy to be someone who would fit that role as all trans people should be butch and ugly? I think that's what I'm getting from this thread.

The crazy part is that there are a lot of Trans you would never know they were men until the junk is shone.  The ideal that a Trans will still look like a man shows just how much a lot of people here probable never seen one.  Yes there are ones that definitely still look masculine but there are also a lot where they do not.  Either way, it seems funny that people complain about an actor doing their job.  

Machiavellian said:
Ganoncrotch said:

She is playing as a woman who turns into a man. So she is playing the right gender for the role but OP's probably is Scarlett looks too feminine and sexy to be someone who would fit that role as all trans people should be butch and ugly? I think that's what I'm getting from this thread.

The crazy part is that there are a lot of Trans you would never know they were men until the junk is shone.  The ideal that a Trans will still look like a man shows just how much a lot of people here probable never seen one.  Yes there are ones that definitely still look masculine but there are also a lot where they do not.  Either way, it seems funny that people complain about an actor doing their job.  

Works the other way too with Female to Male, can be hard for people to imagine that not still looking feminine on the outside, but yeah... hormones can do a lot.

That person was born female btw, Still pre op, but can't show those pics on VGchartz! Buck Angel is the name if curious!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

bananaking21 said:

No. That definition is deeply flaughed. A 6 year old kid can't play the role of a maniacal serial killer. He can try, but he would fail miserably. And that's basically him playing something he is not. So your point of view of imvalin. 

The goal of an actor is to play a role effectively and convincingly. And to do so requires actor to be the same gender, race, and age of the character. A 6"4 black dude with six packs can't play a teenage Asian school girl no matter how good an actor he is. 

say what?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

bananaking21 said:

Your counter-argument is really weak because it's purposefully ridiculous. I'll have you know that I actually do prefer for Hollywood to cast actors that can more easily relate to or fill in the role. In cases like this, it allows a more diverse set of people to become stars in Hollywood, and using someone who is already popular is a very boring move. However, the reason I'm arguing against the controversy is because it is overblown. It's one thing to prefer a more authentic actor to character experience, it's another to go out of your way to make a really stupid point by using the example of a 6 year old (who barely has a conscious as it is) to validate the opinion that an adult isn't capable of playing a Transgender person, even with all of today's special effects and advancements.

I mean your point is so bad that you literally say "And that's basically him playing something he is not." Oh really? As opposed to actually being a serial killer? Are most serial killers in movies actual serial killers? 

Let me guess, your response will be "What I meant was he's playing something he possibly never could be, he's a kid so he can't possibly play a serial kil-" yeah, that's the point. He's a kid, he doesn't have the acting talent to possibly play something that different. Again, your point is ruined. 

Scarlet Johansson playing a transgender person isn't even close to a white guy playing a black guy. Again, these points are so bad I really shouldn't be spending the time addressing them.

On one hand, actors are acting. Scarlett Johansson plays a super spy, but that doesn't mean she is one in real life. Playing characters that are not innately similar to the actor may be a professional ambition or challenge she wants, and who is anyone to say no to that?

On the other hand, you don't see many (if any) trans people playing roles SJ typically plays, because that role is probably better suited for a non-trans person like herself. A trans Black Widow wouldn't be so believable and might be distracting unless the character itself was supposed to be trans. So with that logic, SJ is probably just not the best choice for a trans role. This is not about social justice or inclusivity. And it's not about ensuring every actor that plays a part has to really be what they are acting.

If we're going by merit, a trans actor is just going to be more believable in such a role. If she's a producer of this movie and wants to have the most believable and well casted movie, she probably should step aside. However, she's probably thinking she'll get a shot at an Oscar more than the integrity of the casting based on that fact that several other roles have won their straight cisgender actors Oscars for playing trans characters.